Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skilled migrant visa question

Options
  • 04-01-2010 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm currently in Australia on a 457 longstay business visa.
    Paperwork should be through in 1-2 months which will qualify me for permanent residence.
    My profession is on csl and modl.
    At the moment my employers are not likely to sponsor me (they have however offered to keep me on until the end of 2010 so I can organise a longer term job).

I have decided to just apply when my paperwork is through and not wait to find an employer to sponsor me.

My question is about the difference in processing times (in your experience) between an independent application and one sponsored by a relative. I have an Aunt down in Melbourne but don't want to go cap in hand to her, unless it makes a really huge difference to the time it takes to process my application.
    Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Relative sponsorship does not make any difference to processing time, it is really only useful if you are short of points. Since you are on CSL and MODL you should get at least second or third priority and would probably be about six months.

How long have you got left on your 457?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mise23 wrote: »
    I'm currently in Australia on a 457 longstay business visa.
    At the moment my employers are not likely to sponsor me

Thatbit confused me, I thought the 457 was the sponsorship VISA??

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mise23

457 is a sponsored temporary resident visa lasting 4 years.
    I have until 2012 on my 457. It can be transferred to another employer but I don't think it allows you much time between jobs before it lapses.
    So PR would give me much more flexibility and increase my options.

Is it still 6 months, I thought since GFC they've slowed down processing time to at least 12 months?
    Anyway thanks for your replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Have a look at this website www.britishexpats.com. Its full of useful info and some of the moderators are actually migration agents who will help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

mise23 wrote: »
    457 is a sponsored temporary resident visa lasting 4 years.
    I have until 2012 on my 457. It can be transferred to another employer but I don't think it allows you much time between jobs before it lapses.
    So PR would give me much more flexibility and increase my options.

Is it still 6 months, I thought since GFC they've slowed down processing time to at least 12 months?
    Anyway thanks for your replies so far.

Well you have a good year to allow for processing in your current job and you can always transfer to another employer as long as they re-sponsor you for another 457, CSL should take between 6-9 months also if you got State-sponsorship it might be even quicker.

I would get your paper work in ASAP and stick it it out..

• Advertisement
Advertisement