Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What change has there been in your rent/mortgage cost? (2010)

Options
  • 04-01-2010 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭

Compared to this time one year ago, has your rent/mortgage increased or decreased?

What change has there been in you rent/mortgage cost? 109 votes

Rent. Decrease 20% or more
    0% 0 votes
    Rent. Decrease 11-19%
    13% 15 votes
    Rent. Decrease 6-10%
    13% 15 votes
    Rent. Decrease 1-5%
    11% 12 votes
    Rent. No change
    2% 3 votes
    Rent. Increase 1-5%
    21% 23 votes
    Rent. Increase 6-10%
    1% 2 votes
    Rent. Increase 11-19%
    0% 0 votes
    Rent. Increase 20% or more
    1% 2 votes
    Mortgage. Decrease 20% or more
    0% 1 vote
    Mortgage. Decrease 11-19%
    2% 3 votes
    Mortgage. Decrease 6-10%
    3% 4 votes
    Mortgage. Decrease 1-5%
    1% 2 votes
    Mortgage. No change
    3% 4 votes
    Mortgage. Increase 1-5%
    2% 3 votes
    Mortgage. Increase 6-10%
    5% 6 votes
    Mortgage. Increase 11-19%
    3% 4 votes
    Mortgage. Increase 20% or more
    0% 0 votes
    Changed from rent to mortgage
    0% 0 votes
    Changed from mortgage to rent
    0% 1 vote
    I have my rent paid for me
    0% 0 votes
    I live with family / friends / a partner
    0% 1 vote
    I/we own a residence / mortgage paid off
    6% 7 votes
    Other
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I have a mortgage

Mine has not changed in the last year i think, but previous to that fell from 340 to 300 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

snyper wrote: »
    I have a mortgage

Mine has not changed in the last year i think, but previous to that fell from 340 to 300 pm.

Not a bad mortgage to have truth be told.

We got 50 squid off our rent a few months ago (100 in total). We pay 460 x 2 p.m at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

We had to move, but we are paying 26% less rent than this time last year. Same number of bedrooms, same area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Moved, relatively similar area, 20% decrease (750p/m to 600 p/m)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

Moved from a different area was previously paying €520 per month in rent now I'm paying €400 per month in rent, still overpriced the place where I'm living but its not too bad when compared to other houses in the local area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Got 7.7% reduction on 12 month contract renewal this month. Got about the same off the asking price this time last year when taking the place. Total reduction from asking price last year 14.3%

This is a very desirable place in Dublin 6. The reports in the papers about rents rising recently are rubbish. Asking Prices, maybe; actual rent, no. Landlords are only advertising hire prices in the hopes that they'll only be negotiated down to what they actually want.

Caveat Emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Eglinton wrote: »

This is a very desirable place in Dublin 6. The reports in the papers about rents rising recently are rubbish. Asking Prices, maybe; actual rent, no. Landlords are only advertising hire prices in the hopes that they'll only be negotiated down to what they actually want.

Caveat Emptor.

+1

I negotiated my rent down from €1450 in March 09 to €1100 Sept 09 to €950 March this year. Same apartment!

Looking on Daft, the asking prices are down in my area approx €300 from a year ago, but I'd say they are accepting a lot less. The more expensive ones just don't shift. There have also been at leas 3 new blocks of apartments released this year within a mile of me so this will be driving prices down also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I've gone from a starting point of 1550 on my mortgage down to 1000 due to the drops in the variable rates, now back up to 1300.....but its fixed at that for the next 3 years

Thats a 2 bed apt in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Last year moved from 1 bed 1 bathroom to a 2 bed 2 bathroom apartment that was twice the size and literally across the road at the exact same rent.
    This year the rent decreased 17%.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

mine has increased from €889 to €919:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

In July 08 it was €700, got it down to €650 in Dec 08 and to €600 in Dec 09. I see the same size houses in the same estate for €550 so will be looking for another reduction in Dec this year. Or I'll look for a better house for what I pay currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 harbardog

rise from 1,050 pm to 1,188 pm as an from 1st dec...have to keep an eye on this i was under the impression that their would be no increase this year or next

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

gleep wrote: »
    +1

I negotiated my rent down from €1450 in March 09 to €1100 Sept 09 to €950 March this year. Same apartment!

Looking on Daft, the asking prices are down in my area approx €300 from a year ago, but I'd say they are accepting a lot less. The more expensive ones just don't shift. There have also been at leas 3 new blocks of apartments released this year within a mile of me so this will be driving prices down also.

Tactics?

Advertisement