Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick is officially the dirtiest of the 60 largest cities and towns in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Limerick City has litter problems just like any other City.

- Its just that in Limerick the volumes and frequencies are a lot higher and there's more broken glass, blood and vomit involved..... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

anyone walked past the Lee Estate recently.........or the clothes bank out the Mill Rd....... disgraceful
    Hyde Road is disgusting also :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Surprise, surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The upper part of Catherine St and the streets coming it like Cecil St are shocking. Then again there are parts of the city like Thomas St and Henry St that are quite clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭FibbersON

As someone who visits Limerick every 2nd weekend I have to say that the city is dreadful, the people who stick up for it are deluded. I love Limerick County, but the city has 2 good things going on, Sage Cafe and the Cornerstone. No parking, no decent shopping, half the city is closed off for the Opera Centre. Get outside of the city and I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

not one bit surprised. the place is filthy. How it wasnt at the bottom of this list before is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

William Street needs to be demolished and rebuilt, it's without a doubt the most disgusting street in Limerick.

Also, the title needs to be changed - Limerick is the dirtiest of those which were checked, not the dirtiest in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe those spongers on the dole all their working life should be made clean the streets up, make them start earning their jolly money.

100% agree on that. The problem is there will be people who, genuinely, will be unable to do so. Whatever method you use to screen people will be open to abuse by said spongers. Some sort of bonus scheme is needed to get these people out of their houses and into the community, sweeping roads, cleaning graffitti, scraping up chewing gum etc etc.

concussion wrote: »
    Also, the title needs to be changed - Limerick is the dirtiest of those which were checked, not the dirtiest in Ireland.

Limerick ended up in last place out of all the Towns/Cities that were surveyed.

That's 60th place out of the 60 that were checked.

- Now perhaps we were lucky that there wasn't 120 Towns/Cities - cause certainly to come in 120th out of a possible 120 would look far worse.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

To people who find Limerick filthy perhaps ye might start a community / voluntary group to help clean the disgusting streets. I will be first to join. Stop whinging and do something!

Raiser wrote: »
    Now perhaps we were lucky that there wasn't 120 Towns/Cities - cause certainly to come in 120th out of a possible 120 would look far worse.....

Indeed we are, and maybe we'd be 500th out of 500. But that wasn't the survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

To people who find Limerick filthy perhaps ye might start a community / voluntary group to help clean the disgusting streets. I will be first to join. Stop whinging and do something!

Isnt that what our tax is supposed to pay for? its the councils job to clean the streets, not the publics

I totally agree though, i live in the city centre and its a fcuking dump, the amount of chewing gum on the streets is horrible, the city centre always smells rank,especially William St which is surely the ugliest street in the country, aside from Gamestop I cant think of a single shop i go into on it.

there are hardly any bins on the streets either, and those street cleaning vehicles things are fcuking useless, all they seem to do is blow rubbish around and not pick up anything. A few years back they tried to clean up Cruises st, spent days power washing the chewing gum off the streets and put up hanging baskets, Limerick being Limerick we cant have anything nice so they scumbags saw fit to make sure they didnt last long, i think it was about 2 days before the contents of the baskets were smeared across Mcdonalds window

I remember that all right. However, I'm convinced it wasn't scumbags. I was up in the print shop across from the Round House on a Wednesday morning and as I walked past Nancys, down Cruises Street and up O'Connell Street past Supermacs I followed a literal trail of destruction with flowers, broken pots and earth strewn all over the streets. Scumbags? No. In my opinion it was the horde of drunken students spewing out of Nancy's and Mor Disco that utterly trashed what was a good effort by the corporation to clean up the city centre.

You're spot on about the rest of it though, those sweepers do feck all really. The choice of flags on Thomas Street/Bedford Row is a joke as the show up everything that's dropped on them (ie, litres of coke from Supermacs and loads of chewing gum). This is compounded by the fact that the corportation (city council?) won't clean it as it hasn't been formally handed over or some such nonsense. That may be old info, but the fact is, the best looking street we have does not get cleaned properly whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It all starts at home doesn't it. If you are not told to clean up after yourself then why would you ever. The amount of scumbags that I have seen who just fcuk all their sweet wrappers, bags of chips, chewing gum, cans, bottles etc etc wherever they feel like is unbelievable.

I have witnessed kids and teenagers throw their rubbish on the ground often when standing two feet from a bin. I have told kids on numerous occasions to pick up their crap and put it in the bin and they just shrug their shoulders and walk off. It all boils down to the way they are dragged up by their parents.

There is also no community spirit or pride in this city. None. Just take a look outside peoples houses in estates all over the city. The majority wouldn't sweep up outside their own patch to save themselves.

Lastly I would like to know how every penny is spent in this city on keeping it "clean". Last year the figure was €3million. I guarantee the council fcuking wasted most of it. Useless gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Speaking of dumps, does anyone know what that godawful stink is on the Childers Road between the Kilmallock Rd and the Roxboro roundabout is? Its something behind the fence opposite the green area.
    Its been there for years and it hits you like a brick whenever you cycle past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sjunger

I've lived in and worked in Limerick for the past 16 years.I am currently living in Catherine Street,and I have to say that the new modern street is really looking well.Nice job to all involved..Sadly I have to say that many of the local city residents are a disgrace.icon13.gif.I hear so often during the day, loudmouthed guys and girls going by,and it's f**k you,f**ck that ,etc at the top of their voices..
    They dump their rubbish and their vomit on the street just as easily..
    I lived in an apartment block in the same street for a few years and I couldn't believe what people thought was "normal"..Drink,drugs,couples fighting and hitting each other,vile ,vile ,vile..Until the residents are cleaned up,sadly the dirty Limerick title wont be either.. icon9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I don't think Limerick has gotten any dirtier, maybe the other towns and cities have improved their standards and the city may need to do the same.

In Shannon, there are 2 people employed by the council to keep the wole town tidy. 5 days a week they are on the rounds picking up litter in all areas of the town (and it works judging by how clean the place is). Is there a similar practice in Limerick, albeit on a bigger scale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Theres a house at the top of hyde road say coming from Lidl on the left hand side painted red and its manky/burned out or deserted,tons of rubbish and you should see all the small kids playing in it at 5pm on a cold day with barely any clothes on them

Raiser wrote: »
    Limerick ended up in last place out of all the Towns/Cities that were surveyed.

That's 60th place out of the 60 that were checked.

- Now perhaps we were lucky that there wasn't 120 Towns/Cities - cause certainly to come in 120th out of a possible 120 would look far worse.....
    concussion wrote: »
    Indeed we are, and maybe we'd be 500th out of 500. But that wasn't the survey.

We'd walk it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I agree it is totally the way people are brought up.
    I have witnessed and continue to do so with the scummers who live in my area. I saw one of them come out to his door with rather than throw his rubbish into the bin (that was outside his door) he threw it up on the tree outside the house.
    At the weekend my boyfriend had to take a bag of black rubbish that they had "hidden" from the area as the bag had burst and god know's what it was drawing to the area.

I am really finding it so disheartening living in Limerick in the past few years.

Advertisement