Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

site on cork road

• 04-01-2010 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

hi all can anyone help me out please does anyone no who owns the waste ground beside the maxol service station on the cork road it used to be owned by the glass factory

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

afaik it belongs to aldi ireland? ? They were meant to build a new store on it few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

When construction began on Aldi's new store, they discovered that the ground was seriously contaminated by Maxol's fuel storage facility. This was a VERY expensive clean-up after which, Aldi seemed to abandon the site and built the store in the Glen. You can read all the technical clean-up details here:

http://envirotreat.com/downloads/case/In-situ/Cork_Road.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 martinflynn

thanks for the reply i cant seem to open that link, iv tried for a while now but cant seem to locate an owner

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You will need a pdf reader for that link to open

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

Here's the planning summary (source www.waterfordcity.ie)

Version 1 (2002):
    a mixed use development consisting of two 3 storey blocks. The proposed development has a gross floor area of 6773 sq.m. Block A comprises: a ground floor ALDI Store with a gross floor area 1407 sq.m. (net retail area 875), first floor leisure/gym centre and swimming pool with gross floor area of 1466 sq.m.and second floor offices with a gross floor area of 1285 sq.m. Block B comprises: basement level car parking, a kiosk, first floor retail warehouse with a part mezzanine floor with a gross floor area of 2069 sq.m. and a second floor cafe. Vehicular access is provided from Ashe Road with seperate customer and service access points. The proposed development also comprises, a pedestrian access from the Cork Road (N25), a total of 150 car parking spaces, landscaping and associated site works, roof plant and service areas, on a 1.1 hectare site (formerly Waterford Crystal Car Park)

Version 2 (2006):
    development at (formerly the Waterford Crystal car park). This development will consist of a four storey mixed use development consisting of 5,245 sq. m gross floor area of commercial floorspace including: two retail warehouse units with a combined gross floor area of 1,614 sq. m and associated signage; a three storey car show room with a gross floor area of 1,313 sq. m.; an Aldi Discount foodstore with a gross floor area of 1,483 sq. m (net retail area 1,075 sq. m) and associated signage; cafe with exterior roof terrace with a gross floor area of 169 sq. m and office with a gross floor area of 169 sq. m. Vehicular access is provided from Ashe Road. A total of 162 car parking spaces, an ESB substation, landscaping, service areas and associated site works on a 1.1 ha site

Version 3 (approved June 2008):
    amendments to previously granted permission under register reference 06/36 for a four storey mixed use development. The revisions provide for a four storey mixed use development with an overall gross floor area of 5014.63 sq. m to include change of use from permitted car show room to a retail warehouse with a gross floor area of 1,095.5 sq. m with 2 no. mezzanine levels; alterations to previously approved retail warehouse units at ground floor level into 1 no. retail warehouse unit with a gross floor area of 1363.74 sq. m; an increase in the net floor area of the permitted Aldi discount foodstore from 1,075 sq. m. to 1,125 sq. m (to include off licence unit and associate signage); increase in the permitted cafe with exterior roof terrace from 169 sq. m to 295.83 sq. m. Vehicular access is provided from Ashe Road. A total of 162 no. car parking spaces, an ESB substation, landscaping, service areas and associatesd site works on 1.1 ha site.

• Advertisement

thanks for all ur help lads but i need to fine someone that has something to do with that ground its an ideal spot for a show

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of a show?

i honesty cant say on this fourm as yet sorry but it needs a site just like that but would not have to be as big doe

maybe you might no of some place like this site your help or anyone else would be gratefull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

maybe you might no of some place like this site your help or anyone else would be gratefull

I don't think anyone really knows what you're looking for. Are you just talking about a relatively big, car park? Are you talking about an open space? Does it have to be somewhere in particular?

• Advertisement

hi nk no it can be anywhere but the site i was on about is in a grate place also ya can be seen from it a carpark wasteground a field it would not matter really but need a place for about 2 weeks time so pressure is on

in other words i am trying to track down an owner for this site or another site that i could rent for 4 or 5 days cash paid for rite ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

in other words i am trying to track down an owner for this site or another site that i could rent for 4 or 5 days cash paid for rite ground

why not try city council?they should know who owns the site and point you in that direction.either that or aldi customer care as i think the aldi supermarket group did /or used to own it before the problems came up.maybe best bet is city council?

thanks for ur help but all ready tried citycouncil they do not no also i could not get my hands on a phone number for aldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

why not pop into aldi and ask to speak to a a manager?they could put ya in touch with someone higher up.failing that try waterford crystal,i know the companies wound up but the visitor centres still open?maybe theyll know something seeing as they used to own the land.

will do that and thanks again so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

You're not giving people much to go on, or maybe you can't. Will there be much noise? Will the public require additional parking? Does it have to be in the city?

One option might be the field on the ORR where the circus often happens? Or maybe the field in front of the Manor up in Lisduggan, if it's still accessible (I remember a carnival up there when I was young).

hi gsully i really cant say to much more as what i all ready said but parking would not be really a problem and ther would be some noise but not really bad just a bit of music is all and thanks for your reply to

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

hi gsully i really cant say to much more as what i all ready said but parking would not be really a problem and ther would be some noise but not really bad just a bit of music is all and thanks for your reply to
    Hi martin this idea just popped into my head- how about the ida technology park on the cork road opposite the whitfield?
    I often bring the dog down there it is a huge park, the only buildin is the one at the roadside, the rest of the park is all fields, also alot of infrastructure is already in place like street lights along the main road through the park, and footpaths etc

hi all just to let ye no i have got myself a nice site along the cork road and just want to say thanks for all ur help and coments

• Advertisement

Looks like Aldi are still interested in developing this site:

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=1026&LASiteID=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Bump...

Seems to be a lot of work going on behind the Maxol in Kingsmeadow. Does anyone know if this is Aldi? The link in the post above shows that they withdrew their application. If it's not Aldi, who or what is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Yes BAM are building the Aldi store at long last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Really?

I thought there was an issue with the site in that it couldn't be built on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Yes BAM are building the Aldi store at long last

So lidl, superquinn, aldi, buy lo and tesco baile beag will all be two minutes from each other and competing for the same customers?
    I there that much business to go around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good stuff, with Aldi being on the wrong side of town I haven't yet graced their floorspace. A bit of competition for Lidl on the Tramore Road as well, I wonder if they bother going head-to-head on prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ziedth wrote: »
    Really?

I thought there was an issue with the site in that it couldn't be built on?

I thought the ground was contaminated or some ****e. I presume that's sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I worked in Superquinn when that came to light Seany that's why I ask. It was a real big deal at the time as they were ****ting them going in there. You'd swear they won the lotto when management found out.

Like ya said, maybe it was a planning issue or something that has been sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

The parents live nextdoor to it, they are currently removing all the earth that was in the centre of the carpark (well finishinng what they left behind years ago). Anything would be better than the site in the condition it is in on your doorstep.

If I remember correctly from the last time the earth was being sent to Germany for cleaning. Will be interesting to see of they import earth to level the ground out or dig it all out and make it a similar level to the cork road side. Althought the entrance will be from the Ashe road side they could have some form of ramps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Vehicular acces is from Ashe Road but there will also be pedestrian access from the Cork Road, directly opposite the entrance to the Regional Sports Centre.

Details of planning application to Waterford City Council here, DjVu plugin required (available for Internet Explorer only) to view the scanned documents.

Advertisement