Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow Chains

• 04-01-2010 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

just curious bye all acounts irish winter weather is getting worse just wondering has any one conciderd them ? i mean 89 euros in halfords...
    for a lot more grip on roads that quite frankly dangerous...

whats your thaughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

Unless you are in a completely snow locked area forget them. You should use them on roas that are covered in snow and ice and not on roads that are clear and unless you are up teh mounains the majoroity of main roads are clear.

You are also restriced on maximum speeds with them fitted and should ideally removed them and fit them as required. Had them for rental cars when skiing and never bothered with them - a real pain to fit and remove. A much better solution would be winter tyres if you wanted to cover yourself but to be honest in Ireland I wouldn't bother as we don't have enough of this weather to justify a second set of winter tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Yeah, what traco said.

Snow chains are for snow. I mean proper snow, not the bit that we got. We don't have the weather to warrent snow chains.

We have icy weather. Winter tyres are what you should be looking for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

They aren't even close to being needed in Ireland, and yes the person selling them in Halfords is laughing at whoever buys a set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

I'm living in Bulgaria and they do use snow chains but only when the snow is more than 10cm deep and country wide. And I've seen them break! Front wing torn off!

Otherwise we use snow tyres. They are great, it's amazing the amount of grip you get with them! They go on as soon as the weather goes cold and stay on for the winter months. Then I just change back to the regular set. They are great for ice and snow, makes no difference if you are driving on clear roads except they will wear out much quicker.

Most of Europe enforce the use of them during the winter months.

This year Ireland is getting more snow and is colder than here! :) Although the thermometers are heading down at the moment!

Advertisement