Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Men in Ireland - Mullingar

• 04-01-2010 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Cringe....how parochial and backward did that make ye look lads.....oh it was really really embarassing.......:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭fakefurbabe

Please have a look and the comments on 'twitter' - there are people dying of embarassment all over Westmeath because of this hahahahaha.

At least Dara O Briain is saying that they all had a great time out in Mullingar while they were here - he's defending Mullingar on 'twitter'.

What I want to know is where were the Wallace bin trucks in the parade?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Massive Muscles

Shameful stuff. Like a load of Indian dump children following the BBC cameras with their hands out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Why was Athlone glossed over? Bloody best town in the Midlands! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

I agree Athlone was glossed over but even through the fog Athlone looked so nice,

very athmospheric......................

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

I have just watched this on YouTube. :eek::eek::eek:
    Absolutely cringed with embarrasment.
    Who decided on the content of this disgraceful portrayal of Mullingar on such a high profile TV programme. Did our local politicians or Tourist Board officials have any input into that production? If so, then what were they thinking of and what exactly were they trying to portray !!!!
    You could actually see the cringe factor etched on O'Briain's face as he dealt with the "welcome ceremony" and our local "food fare".

A sad day for Mullingar.

Take a look at this. It pretty much sums it up. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3yZpgSk6tU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

I really dont get this embarrassment ye all seem to be feeling here.
    A BBC film crew came to town with some minor celebrities and Mullingar welcomed them and showed em a good time-Ye're embarrassed over that?
    For bein hospitable? Friend;y? Mad in a good way? No where else in Ireland were they welcomed like that and they said they had the best time ever in Mullingar as a result.

What would you have preferred-They highlight Dalton Park, the crazy guy who takes down the number plates registrations and battered Mars bars from Lingui's??

Mullingar came across very well considering how bloody little it has to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

youngblood wrote: »
    I really dont get this embarrassment ye all seem to be feeling here.
    A BBC film crew came to town with some minor celebrities and Mullingar welcomed them and showed em a good time-Ye're embarrassed over that?
    For bein hospitable? Friend;y? Mad in a good way? No where else in Ireland were they welcomed like that and they said they had the best time ever in Mullingar as a result.

What would you have preferred-They highlight Dalton Park, the crazy guy who takes down the number plates registrations and battered Mars bars from Lingui's??

Mullingar came across very well considering how bloody little it has to offer.

+1
    Other than those kids on screen for a second or two (looking like a couple of goons) when they were coming off the cannal, nothing was remotely portrayed negativity.
    A bunch of people having a good time and a bit of food. Ok, that is not what Mullingar is usually like, but it showed us in a positive light.

I can think of a huge list of things that they could have done if they wanted to have a go at Mullingar, not one of them appears in that show. Anyone I recognised on screen are good people, and they have not a bad word against them. There was no litter (except in Fore). There was no knacker fights. There were no drunks. They were eating ok food in the Square, not stuff from Abra-ke-dead-dog. They even walked down that alley that you think you will get stabbed on and it looked well.

Someone may spoon feed me their complaints with that show, otherwise I will continue to think people are trying to moan at any chance they can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Thought that it started a bit cringey but got better as it went on. Showed the town in a good light. Some people will have a moan at anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Not embarrassing at all. It showed the town in a good light.
    Why would anyone cringe at this?

It was slightly cringy alright, what's with the American style marching band?? That made me laugh (in a good way, not sneering)... But, the food in the square looked good, everybody likes stuff like that, market style food, home produce, farmers market. Is that a permanent feature? There are loads in Dublin, very very popular, deffo does and area good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

lightening wrote: »
    It was slightly cringy alright, what's with the American style marching band??

That is Mullingar's Famous Town Band founded in 1879, its been on the go for years winning many national and international marching competitions.

They band is very well known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

youngblood wrote: »
    That is Mullingar's Famous Town Band founded in 1879, its been on the go for years winning many national and international marching competitions.

They band is very well known.

Famous? Where....in Mullingar??! :D

It was pathetic. It lived up to every stereotype there is of rural Ireland. 3 C List Celebs come to town and ye fall all over them like a movie cast! Ye have marching bands :rolleyes: and mayors, Jesus Wept.

On behalf of the peeepel of the county town of weshtmeeth I would like to welcome the 3 boys, i mean the three men to Mullingar.....rattle my chains......

I felt sorry for Dara having to watch this. He has since written about how embarassing it was and Rory McGrath writtenan article in an English newspaper about the slagging they gave Dara after for conforming to every "Oirish diddly eye" stereotype known to man.

Its a wonder ye didnt finish up with a good ol Wife Bashing contest just to round it off.:o

Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Giuseppe90

Of course because you don't know of it its not well known :rolleyes:

Being originally from Mullingar I did find myself cringing watching it but then I thought to myself "why not ?". I think generating this publicity for the town.is not without merit, especially when trying to attract visitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Giuseppe90 wrote: »
    Of course because you don't know of it its not well known :rolleyes:

Being originally from Mullingar I did find myself cringing watching it but then I thought to myself "why not ?". I think generating this publicity for the town.is not without merit, especially when trying to attract visitors.

Giuseppe .....you do know what the word "famous" means......dont you...????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Liam79 wrote: »

Taking past in the Paddy's day parade for god knows how long?
    Makes me wonder if Liam is even from the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Don't worry lads, he is trolling the same topic in the Limerick City forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Obviously your definition of famous is that you've heard of it. Quite a narrow definition really, don't you think ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Anyone know where I can watch this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Youtube.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

liah wrote: »
    Youtube.

Any link? I was looking for it and couldn't fnd it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Found it a week or so ago, 3 Men Go To Ireland (or whatever the title is) Part 5/6 and 6/6. Most of the "embarrassing" stuff is in part 5, 6 is mostly the hounds.

Search around a bit and I'm sure you'll find it.

It's not that bad, and the American band thing is mad. Like something you would see in a good low budget movie set in the midlands.
    I felt sorry for Dara having to watch this. He has since written about how embarassing it was

Where? Maybe he said he was embarrassed about the warm welcome, but I can't imagine him bitching like that. Can you provide a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Wow the begrudge mentality is alive and kicking on this thread, with people like this we deserve all the crap the country is in.

kids and volunteers that have achieved getting slated by by the usual negative begrudgers. shame shame shame :(

Advertisement