Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give me some things to do in Drogheda...

Options
  • 04-01-2010 10:57am

Hey all,

Pretty reclusive, not-very-social person, so I don't really do anything but sit around the house. Sadly, that gets boring and there's only so many times you can look at the same walls before wanting to hang yourself. So I've decided that this year I'm gonna try and find something, anything, interesting to do with my evenings to keep me busy.

So I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything worthwhile doing about the town at all? I don't have transport (well.. I have legs?) so I can't venture too far.

I see there's a photography "for absolute beginners" course coming up in Barlow House (next to Gleesons, across from DYD) in a little while, so I'm gonna put my name down for that. I have a DSLR and no idea how to use it, so it should be beneficial, hopefully. It's seven weeks i think, every wednesday from 8pm to 9:30pm.

So, I want to do something else for the other days of the week. I'm on a FAS course til the end of March at the moment, so I'm kept occupied from 9-4:30 each day.

So... The point of the thread; Anyone know of any courses, clubs or otherwise interesting things to do about the town?

I don't really have any hobbies or interests as such, so open to pretty much anything :)

EDIT: Anyone know anyting about the DIFE website's courses?

They have a photoshop one;

http://www.dife.info/2008/n_c_tuesday.htm

But all their dates are from 2009...:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The photography course sounds good, Here's a link which might be helpful for other courses - http://www.nightcourses.com/search-by-town-drogheda-louth.html

I hear some of the dance classes at LAB Fitness are quite good too.

Well, im a guy, in terrible shape, so I don't really think dance classes are for me.

Checked out that website, though. Seems to be very bare, sadly :(

Hopefully some more courses will be added to it, or DIFE will update their site or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

What to do after the photography course?

I think your photo course is a great idea, and of course you can just get out there and take photos. However, it can be a fairly solitary pastime, so I suspect you really want something else.

Would you consider taking up scuba diving? I learned with Adventure Diving (www.adventurediving.net) in Bettystown, just down the road from you.

The course takes a couple of nights a week for a few weeks and culminates in a weekend away in Galway with the instructors, the other members of the class and some other divers.

It's a very social pastime, and of course you can combine it with photography when you're bored with taking photos of the 'cup and saucer'

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You could take up cycling. It's great fun - and it helps you get from A to B, as you have no car. Although I'd probably wait until the icy weather is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

You could take up cycling. It's great fun - and it helps you get from A to B, as you have no car. Although I'd probably wait until the icy weather is over!

+1
    Did this myself recently although the weather hasn't been kind of late. Hope to get back into it when the weather gets better. Any good safe routes you can recommend **Timbuk2**? I usually do a lap of the river Mell => Obelisk => Ramparts => Mell. Its a nice 10k around Drogheda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

There's a pool hall up near the Lawrence Gate if ya like to play.

And there's plenty of boxing classes etc if you'd like to get fit!

There's bowling in Funtasia too which would pass time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

FunkZ wrote: »
    There's bowling in Funtasia too which would pass time!

Sooooo expensive! :mad:

Only played bowling once, in the place beside Rathmullen (Next to Aura Leisure) and thought it was priced well.

Anyway..

I wouldn't do the Scuba Diving because, as said previously, im in terrible shape. Don't really think diving of any kind is for us fat bastards. Though i will admit, it does seem like a great idea, and if i ever do get in shape, Its definitely something I'd love to try out, for the experience, if nothing else.

No interest in pool at all, nor bowling or any other tasks which require you to already be involved with a group of people. As i say, a reclusive person, so a loner by nature really. Don't really have many friends, so more interested in doing obscure things, or learning things.

FunkZ wrote: »
    And there's plenty of boxing classes etc if you'd like to get fit!

Any more info you could give me on that? I've always been interested in it, but as above, not in good shape, and I don't really have any kind of mean streak at all. Is there anywhere you know of around the place that are open to people who are completely going to be over their heads with it, and that would actually teach them how to do different things, and work them up, instead of laughing at them and throwing them in the deep end?

Cos if so, I'd love to try my luck at it.

Also, locum-motion, I agree, photography is solitary alright, but I also find it very interesting, and I'd love to be able to know a DSLR inside out and be able to take proper photographs and so forth, so I had to put my name down for the photography course really. I'd have regretted it if I didn't.

I have a bicycle (cheap ass mountain bike from Halfords) and it gets a bit of use during summer times. I usually just go up along the Boyne Walk on it though. Takes about half an hour up and back, if i take my time and relax, but I never really ventured out anywhere new with it. Probably will mess about a bit more in the week or two of warm weather we might get in 2010 :)

I'd love to hear any other suggestions that people may have. Some excellent stuff so far. Still awaiting DIFE to update their site. I'd like to try my luck with their Photoshop course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

What about joining the photograpy club up in Millmount. My dads a member and loves it. I was up once or twice ofr some of their speakers and they go through photoshop etc.

http://www.droghedaphotographicclub.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=31:welcome-to-drogheda-photographic-club&Itemid=54&layout=default

I wouldn't do the Scuba Diving because, as said previously, im in terrible shape. Don't really think diving of any kind is for us fat bastards. Though i will admit, it does seem like a great idea, and if i ever do get in shape, Its definitely something I'd love to try out, for the experience, if nothing else.

I'm a fat ba5tard, and I've been diving for a few years now. Well, fattish anyway, 5'11" and just over 16 stone. Big beer belly. Anyway, you don't have to be superfit to dive is my point. As long as you can swim 200m (no time limit) and tread water for 5 mins you can get your Open Water licence.
    If you want to try it out just for the experience, you can do a thing called a Discover Scuba, which is just a day. Sure why not ring Adventure Diving and ask them about it?
    Also, locum-motion, I agree, photography is solitary alright, but I also find it very interesting, and I'd love to be able to know a DSLR inside out and be able to take proper photographs and so forth, so I had to put my name down for the photography course really. I'd have regretted it if I didn't.

Because you're into photography, that's why I thought you might enjoy the diving, as Underwater Photography is great.
    Nevertheless, I'm sure you'll enjoy sharing your photos with your classmates in the photo course.
    That was one of the best parts of the Underwater photography course I did.

Good luck, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Dingatron wrote: »
    +1
    Did this myself recently although the weather hasn't been kind of late. Hope to get back into it when the weather gets better. Any good safe routes you can recommend **Timbuk2**? I usually do a lap of the river Mell => Obelisk => Ramparts => Mell. Its a nice 10k around Drogheda.

I'm not really familiar with Drogheda, as I'm from Dundalk, but I usually just cycle anywhere! I have a car but on nice days it's funner to cycle! In Drogheda you could cycle up and down that walk alongside the Boyne (watch out for thorns etc that will puncture your tires!) or you could cycle to Bettystown and go to the beach!

The only annoying thing about Drogheda is if you want to cycle in the Dundalk direction you have to cycle up a hill that lasts about 5 km! (It's not steep but it's long!)

I'm a fat ba5tard, and I've been diving for a few years now. Well, fattish anyway, 5'11" and just over 16 stone. Big beer belly. Anyway, you don't have to be superfit to dive is my point. As long as you can swim 200m (no time limit) and tread water for 5 mins you can get your Open Water licence.
    If you want to try it out just for the experience, you can do a thing called a Discover Scuba, which is just a day. Sure why not ring Adventure Diving and ask them about it?

Because you're into photography, that's why I thought you might enjoy the diving, as Underwater Photography is great.
    Nevertheless, I'm sure you'll enjoy sharing your photos with your classmates in the photo course.
    That was one of the best parts of the Underwater photography course I did.

Good luck, anyway.

Well I'd say im about 18 stone myself (and 5'10") though im trying to work on it. Well if you think i'd be OK fitness wise, then I must give it a shot. I'll probably wait until summer though, or until april or may at least. No way am I going anywhere near any kind of water in this weather.

Seems reasonably priced though. I sent them along an email to confirm that I'm not too fat. Haha.

Seems reasonably priced though. I sent them along an email to confirm that I'm not too fat. Haha.

I should have pointed out; they're closed for a few weeks. They're not going in the water either!!

They replied to my email. Told me to check out their calendars and such for more info. Said they were closed alright, but just checking email every now and again.

Funkz, any chance of some more info on that boxing thing?

Does anyone know of anything to do during the day that involves you to do something physically, but not embarrassingly so?

Are there any lessons in getting fit/self defence/general kicking people's ass/etc.?

I go up to Aura gym and they do a few different things. When i get into a bit of better shape, i'll do their swimming lessons and the likes, but me being in shape a fair bit away just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

You could apply for a fishing licence.

Get the bus then out to Staleen (where Newgrange Interpretive Centre) and walk down the lane and off you go fishing. Can fish in all kinds of weather also.

You could volunteer for different organisations around the area.

You could also volunteer for groups overseas. Get a bit experience of the world and perhaps someone somewhere would appreciate the spare time you have.

Ah I don't really think fishing is my kind of thing. May sound sappy, but don't fancy killing things as a past time :(

Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Ah I don't really think fishing is my kind of thing. May sound sappy, but don't fancy killing things as a past time :(

Haha
    You can catch and release :) A friend of the family catches them, takes a pic, then releases it. Also you can get hooks that dissolve over time so if your line breaks the fish will be ok :)

Advertisement