Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times have you fallen on the Ice/Snow this winter??

Options
  • 04-01-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

How many times have you fallen on the Ice/Snow this winter??
    Just thought this would be an interesting one??

So far for me in the space of two days it's four!!eek.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

None :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Once, nearly twice.

Just a good thing I looked like the Michelin man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Zero times.

But came very close on a few occasions yesterday. Lost my footing and found it difficult to recover a number of times, but managed in the end. Paths around blanchardstown are absolutely lethal right now. The snow's been compacted by pedestrian traffic and frozen into an ice rink in most places. Not going out as a result today (work at home, lucky me :)).

Absolutely zero sign of any gritting round here either. I guess if it snows again tonight, though, at least there'll be something with traction to walk on tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

None, but have had many near-misses. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Twice, both last night.

Then my mam broke her wrist and the funny side disappeared fairly sharpish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Slipped countless times, fallen none, practice practice practice!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭phoebe!

Just once, but managed to break my ankle in the process!! Fun and games!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

not up until i posted in this thread anyway.:pac: the small steps help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

4 times on the back street, we live on a hill so there's the slow way and the quickway to get from the back door to the bottom of the street atm :( Lost count of how many times I've almost fallen, just had one there about 5 minutes ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Only once....but I didn't break the mug! ...and the tea I ended up wearing instead of drinking was pleasantly warming :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

none but seen an ambulance near the apple garage in arklow the other day and poor girl looked like she had broken her arm after slipping :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

The question should be 'how many times have i fallen on ice taday'

Many, many close calls, i'm back in dublin now btw ,not tipp:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

None, and I fall over in normal weather. The trick is to slide your feet - don't lift them. Seriously, try it, you'll look like a twat but you'll stay upright. Unless you're on crutches - sympathies phoebe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

What are the footpaths like in around the city centre (Stephens Green, Grafton St etc) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

3.14159265 times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

3 times, mostly during the ice rain spell. Slipped to near falling countless times. Quite embarrissing when there are loads of people around. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

3 times, mostly during the ice rain spell. Slipped to near falling countless times. Quite embarrissing when there are loads of people around. :o

Ah don't be embarrassed. I've helped up two people sofar in the last week when out and about. I think everyone knows it could be anyone who slips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

When i was sliding on purpose i fell twice ,was lucky not to break anything, but other than that I havent fallen while walking normally, of course i have had many close shaves but got my balance back before i fell.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

3.14159265 times
    Snow pie?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

0 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Luckily none :) I've been out walking a lot and seen a good few people fall but not me, for the moment anyway.

Gah, I jinxed myself. It was raining on top of the ice while I was in the chipper. Did the splits when I walked out the door. Feck. :o

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

fozzle wrote: »
    Gah, I jinxed myself. It was raining on top of the ice while I was in the chipper. Did the splits when I walked out the door. Feck. :o

never mind that, are the chips ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddy cork

once,vertical to horizontal in a quarter of a second!

copacetic wrote: »
    never mind that, are the chips ok?

:p but of course, they never touched the ground. I know my priorities!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

fozzle wrote: »
    None, and I fall over in normal weather. The trick is to slide your feet - don't lift them. Seriously, try it, you'll look like a twat but you'll stay upright. Unless you're on crutches - sympathies phoebe!

This is what i do and i haven't fallen once, Yeah you'll look like a twat but not as much as the people sittin on their arse.

baraca wrote: »
    This is what i do and i haven't fallen once, Yeah you'll look like a twat but not as much as the people sittin on their arse.
    Did the splits today, but in my defence it was raining so I assumed there was no ice. Mistake. Sliding feet is definately "the way forward" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I haven't fallen once. Main reason being I've stayed in as much as possible.

I do that sliding my feet thing as well and it's always worked fine. Fingers crossed I haven't jinxed myself now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I haven't fallen either.

The trick for me is to wear heels (;);););)). Yes I know this sounds like madness, buts strangely enough the heel grips better. I think the balance is different. Any of my trainers/shoes are like wearing ice-skates.

Slippers don't slip either - but I am not a fan of wearing pj's during the day though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

Just once, I was carrying my two year old and she landed on top of me. Ouch.

Advertisement