Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times have you fallen on the Ice/Snow this winter??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Uggs are pretty good too. Normally wouldn't wear them much but they're great on the ice, havn't slipped once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

slipped once and broke my ankle.. needed surgery to fix and with pins and screws.... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Uggs are pretty good too. Normally wouldn't wear them much but they're great on the ice, havn't slipped once.

Yeah the girlfriend noticed this.

Wasn't me i swear!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I was doing great until today. I ran and landed nicely on my side. The snow was fresh though and I was wearing layers so it was like landing in bed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

On saturday night my wife fell once on the way to the pub and once on the way back even though I was holding her all the time. She's not inclined to wear the more sensible shoes because she's going out - women's psychology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Joe Public wrote: »
    On saturday night my wife fell once on the way to the pub and once on the way back even though I was holding her all the time. She's not inclined to wear the more sensible shoes because she's going out - women's psychology.

To be honest I find I walk much more safely if I'm not holding on to anyone. My OH tries to "help" me, but then my pace is all off and I'm more likely to slip. Just give me a good solid railing to hold onto. Then I'm grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

None... slipped plenty of times.

But never fell!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

plenty of near misses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A scene I have seen countless times over the last few weeks:

fun02.gif

During Christmas, I witnessed 3 beures walking arm in arm down the street singing drunkenly some crappy christmas tune. When they all fell in unison I thought it was really awful.

but funny....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not once and no near misses.

After decades of mountain life in many places... Sure footedness is an adaptation

Even the dogs are used to it now after a few wee skids.

And I do not count the time I was helping to try to push my car and ended up on my knees.

Good place to be in an emergency anyways...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Just the once - around 5pm on Christmas Day..... and no I wasn't pi**ed, it was a bit early for that!
    It had just rained and the temperature had risen above freezing so I presumed all the ice was gone but as we remember the rain froze on roads and pavements creating black ice. It was the first time I've seen this happen in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rodg3

Took a nasty fall in Blanchardstown Village yesterday morning. Feet went right out from underneath me, up in the air and landed square on my back and clocked my head off the ground. Got up after a few seconds and there was someone stuck in traffic who checked it I was alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Just landed right style on me ass, well me spine.

me dam own fault, next time im going to lvl the track out and not leave a slope,
    bloody hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

My wife (also pregnant) was walking the dog along the canal in Kilcock today...dog ran out on the ice and fell in at the middle of the canal.....dog was struggling and couldn't get out..was deffo a goner...wife went in on the ice after him and ice collapsed under her midway out in the canal, she got the dog out and barely got out herself due to weight of jacket/clothes and boots.....I had said it to her not to go up there without me (I was in bed at the time as I'm working nights)....moment of scary madness...she had to walk about a mile back to the car (my car....I couldn't get to her) ...could have been a disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Fell on my back quite hard Christmas day but bought a pair of these last winter and decided nows the time to try them out.
    You slip them on over your normal shoes and they give much better traction so you can walk normally.
    They are great on snow and ice but you are not suppose to wear them on dry surfaces or indoors so I have them on a pair of slip on shoes which I take off when there is no more snow.

YaktraxPro-Shot.jpg

They can be bought from a few sites online like
    http://www.yaktrax.co.uk/

I recommend them on the kind of footpaths and roads we have these days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

3, all while cycling. Thankfully all have been at slow speed and all 3 ended up with me on my backside rather than any more awkward falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

came off the bike 3 times in the past six days, only the last one was bad, turned a corner and the bike went from under me and ended up across the street!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Did ye see the lad falling on the news, it was a perfect example and well caught. Luckily enough he was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Had my first fall today. Went for a walk up to the field at the scenic car park on Bray Head with the dogs. Brought my Binoculars along with me because the views of the Alps....eh, I mean Wicklow Mountains are stunning.

Everything was grand until I decided to walk home via the seafront, ie walk down the path that runs down the front of the head. Got to the pedestrian bridge over the Greystones railway line and slipped. Now what would have been an embarressing fall on my arse was made one hundred times more painful by the fact that my Binoculars were in their bag over my shoulder and hanging around my back. I landed on them full force with my back. Twas like someone kicked me with steel tipped boots in my Kidneys.

Very very tender and occasional painful back spasms when I twist a certain way.

Ouch!! :D

All that said....Hasn't put me off the Snowy icey weather yet. I love this weather, Feels like a real proper Winter. Roll on Sunday and Mondays event!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Calibos wrote: »
    Had my first fall today. Went for a walk up to the field at the scenic car park on Bray Head with the dogs. Brought my Binoculars along with me because the views of the Alps....eh, I mean Wicklow Mountains are stunning.

Everything was grand until I decided to walk home via the seafront, ie walk down the path that runs down the front of the head. Got to the pedestrian bridge over the Greystones railway line and slipped. Now what would have been an embarressing fall on my arse was made one hundred times more painful by the fact that my Binoculars were in their bag over my shoulder and hanging around my back. I landed on them full force with my back. Twas like someone kicked me with steel tipped boots in my Kidneys.

Very very tender and occasional painful back spasms when I twist a certain way.

Ouch!! :D

All that said....Hasn't put me off the Snowy icey weather yet. I love this weather, Feels like a real proper Winter. Roll on Sunday and Mondays event!! :D

We're all on tenderhooks to know are you your bincoulars ok ? ;)

What are the foothpaths like in around Stephens Green, Grafton St and Dame St in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

No Lenses cracked or marks, but it looks like they are knocked out of collimation. ie, nothing that can't be fixed by adjusting a few adjustment screws. I wish my back was as sturdily built as my Binoculars! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

went running on the footpaths/roads around limerick - no problems even with the ice.

Will my luck run out?

I had a few slips yesterday in Dublin city centre, but thankfully I didn't fall. I need to learn some new technique for walking in snow and ice. Everyone else was walking fast and I could barely shuffle along.

Joe Public wrote: »
    Did ye see the lad falling on the news, it was a perfect example and well caught. Luckily enough he was ok.

I didn't realise he is becoming so famous until I saw a mention of him on the Indo. Seemingly there's now a big search to identify him.

Here's a clip of it¬

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nteMp3OQu98&feature=related

Advertisement