Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commercial 4x4 for occasional use.

• 04-01-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been ice & snow-bound for a week now. Managing to get to the shops & such with an awful lot of effort & time and up to feed our horse stranded on even higher ground. My car is dinted (and lucky just to be dinted at that !), and the is boot full of hay :(

I fully expect it to be as bad if not worse (to date, we have survived the odd snow-in or ice-in but this is now +3 weeks)

So It got me wonderin, would it be worth investing in an old commercial jeep for this kinda weather ? I would then be able to use said vehicle in bad weather (with good typres of course) and also hunt the horse again (not so practical using a car to pull a horse box...

Being a commercial the tax would be manageable, being old, and choosing wisely I ought to get a good one in the UK for < £2k

Would love an old Defender (friend has nice 1991 90, think he paid €3k ) but I am realistic :)

Any opinions, advice, links to good ones would be muchly appreciated..

Thanks

FBP.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Remember, You'll need to insure it,you'll need to fuel it, tax it, Test it once a year, maintain it to make sure she gets thru' that test etc etc.
    Can you do all this and run your other vehicle or is this going to be you new daily driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Remember, You'll need to insure it,you'll need to fuel it, tax it, Test it once a year, maintain it to make sure she gets thru' that test etc etc.
    Can you do all this and run your other vehicle or is this going to be you new daily driver?

Insurance as "occasional / low use" (if possible), fuel wold not be massive for the amount i'd use it, tax would be do-able as commercial. The test would be OK as I've 2 jeep mechanics I know locally and light use would not overly degrade the vehicle if I got a good one.

Additionally, removing my daily driver from this usage would mean I'd begin to feel less like an old farmer :)

FBP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I have a 4x4 for occasional use. My car is AWD and i've driven a FWD in the ice also.

I've learned that AWD is not a huge advantage over FWD on ice. It's all about the TYRES... The tyres on most 4x4s are definetely better than car-tyres.

Also sounds like you could well justify a 4x4 for all-year use with horse-box etc. Friend bought an old Trooper for a couple of grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Fatboy,

Right, I see what you want - ok, well then consider this - Go Classic! (1979 and older)
    Buy a olde landy like this -
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1389985.htm
    Tax only €48 a year,cheap to insure on a classic policy, no annual test required and keep it well, you'll get your money back when you sell up.

or this Diesel one, you'd get lots of Hay on the back of this yoke!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1979-LAND-ROVER-88-SERIES-3-DIESEL-TRUCKCAB-OVERDRIVE_W0QQitemZ220525318396QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item33585550fc

Advertisement