Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Articles on Rental Price Drops for Dublin: Jan 2009 - 2010 ???

Options
  • 04-01-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm trying to renegotiate the rent with our landlord.

I'm looking for some figures to show him on how much rents have dropped in Dublin in the last year to ask for a similar drop.

I've had a look on Daft, RTE etc but can't find anything much, ideally I'm just looking for an article I can send on to him and a figure, ie 10-20% etc.

Am living in Dublin 4 area so anything that discusses different areas/postcodes of Dublin would be ideal.

If anyone knows where I can find such info let me know.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Try propertvultures

Here's a link covering rent drops in Dublin 4 from since sept. You'll have to go through old reports to get the drops over 1 year.Not sure where they are though. According to this the drop has been 6.54% since 09/09.

http://www.property-vultures.com/countiesrent/Dublin4.htmlhttp://www.property-vultures.com/countiesrent/Dublin4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Loads here or Ronan Lyons' (DAFT economist) analysis here and the DAFT reports here. However if your landlord feels you are not serious about moving, he might play hardball and not move on the rental price. However in the current market you hold all the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

I find its best to search for similar properties on daft.ie and compare your current rent to the average asking rent in your area.

While some areas may have dropped 10-20%, some areas haven't so this is a much better way to show him that unless he drops your rent, you can avail of the many other (cheaper) properties out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

As others have said, Daft Rental report Q3 is probably the best bet. There'll be an obviously lag, but Q4 2009 report presumably won't be out until February like last year.

From what I have seen D4 has been more affected than most areas due to the astronomical rents commanded there at the peak and a reasonable supply of apartments. I checked rents again recently as my lease is coming to an end, and I've noticed modern 2 beds in D4 have dropped roughly 10-15% since this time last year.

The above is purely anecdotal and not much use with your landlord. But it might give you a sense of how much you could save by moving elsewhere. Also it seems that haggling is far more commonplace now than it was 12 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 worrier

Just need to keep in mind that the prices on daft are asking prices not the actual prices that are agreed (don't think there's anywhere you can find those prices). I've been looking for apartments in the last few days and have been told by some estate agents that the asking prices on daft need to be higher than they really expect to get to avoid everyone else in the building looking for a big rent drop. Most places I went to were very clear that prices were subject to negotiation (usually €50-100 less but sometimes more).

• Advertisement
Advertisement