Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Resident Evil Game

Options
  • 04-01-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

My girlfriend recently got a wii for Xmas and while its good fun I am getting extremely tired of the hapless smiling carefree characters of wii sports. The Playstation fan is creeping out of me and I want some blood horror and carnage.

I am a big resident evil fan, completed 1, 2, 3, 4 and a terrible shooter version they brought bout 10 years ago. There seem to be several versions of Resident evil available on the wii.
    Darkside Chronicles
    Umbrella Chronicles
    Resident Evil Archives (which I assume is RE1)
    Resident Evil Zero
    Resident Evil 4

From what iv heard RE4 is the best but iv all ready completed it on the PS2, is it worth buying it again?
    Do the games take full advantage of the wii controls ( i.e. can i swing an axe into some zombies head, or a chainsaw through several heads)?
    if not is there another game i should be looking for more grown-up action?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Resident Evil 4 is basically the Gamecube version of Resi 4 with all the PS2 extra content. Since it's based on the GC version the game looks way nicer than the PS2 version. If you don't mind playing through it again and can get it cheap it's well worth getting since the GC version is so much better looking.

As for Resident Evil Archives it's a port of the Gamecubes Resident Evil Remake. If you haven't played RE Remake before you really should get it because it's absolutely brilliant and changed so much that it's like a new game. Resident Evil Zero isn't as good but if you haven't played it before then you should get it. Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles are lightgun shooters but extremely good lightgun shooters that take place during events of the other games but also have unique scenarios filling in gaps in the timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I haven't played Darkside or Umbrella Chronicles. I'm one of the rare ones who enjoyed Zero a lot. In terms of the best, though, I reckon its a tough spot between RE Remake (Its Resident Evil Archives on the Wii, just like 0 would be RE 0 Archives) and Code Veronica X.

Really, really let down by 5. Oh, I haven't given my take on 4 yet. Great fun, but not in the "best of the franchise" territory. Oh, and I fell it is meant to be played on the Wii.

(Aside: Just like Okami.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Thanks to both of you!
    Looking online Darkside Chronicles looks really interesting and I get to take advantage of the Wii controls. Amazon seem to be pushing people to buy the light guns too. Are these worth it??

I probably will get the remake of the original since I have been told it preys on the fact that you know whats coming, or at least you think you do. It looks amazing too!

I loved RE4, the baddies AI was incredible, I enjoyed the story also. There is somthing creepier bout the old ones e.g. seeing the door creeping open, closing and then hearing the moaning and shuffling of a zombie which is conveniently off screen. Now the younger generation would be frustrated rather than entertained by this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Remake really is brilliant. Can't recommend it enough.

I'm in the middle of playing the remake now, and as retrogamer said yes it is excellent. Scaring the sh*t outta me to. And graphically amazing. Only thing im finding hard is the puzzles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

If you can find it, track down Resident Evil 2 (Gamecube edition that can be backwards compatible on Wii) - its pretty much the PSX version but its worth playing with the Gamecube controller

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capcom-Resident-Evil-2-GameCube/dp/B0000942RA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1263240735&sr=8-3

Without a doubt in my mind this is the best Resident Evil title, because of the story, and the ease of play and the replay factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sada

Just a note about REmake, and presumably applies to the upcoming Zero re-issue too;
    If you're running your Wii in 16:9 mode, you should really set it to 4:3 (and change your tv settings too so it's not stretched, unless you prefer that).

Because these games are 4:3 only, if the Wii is outputting for 16:9 it'll "squash" the output and add black bars to either side of the video, reducing the quality somewhat.

I know that sounds like a bunch of bs, but I noticed a pretty big difference, in fact when I first played REmake the gfx looked pretty terrible because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles are more like supplements to the main games, they really flesh out the backstory. A must for anyone intrigued by the characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 declanx

I'm a RE nut. Loved all the games, but the puzzels and gameplay on RE: Zero were very enjoyable. Also loved RE:2, had a real gritty atmosphere to it. Even better on the Gamecube.

P.S. RE:5 was good sooter, but not a real RE game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I really disliked Umbrella Chronicles... Got as far as the second boss boss and gave up
    It would be a lot more fun if you're playing with someone though.

RE4 Wii is the definitive version of the game, well worth getting if you fancy playing through it again. It uses the Wiimote for aiming, and motion controls for reloading/knifing.

• Advertisement

Halfway through Darkside Chronicles at the mo and must say i am enjoying it! The Krauser, Leon story is interesting and havin never played Code Veronica that story was completely new to me! plus RE2 was a nice (tho inaccurate) trip down memory lane.

It can get frustrating, e.g. using all your shot guns shells to kill a boss only for it to regenerate again and again! I am considering buying Umbrella Chronicles too, simply jus to play as Albert Wesker.:cool:

I am considering buying Umbrella Chronicles too, simply jus to play as Albert Wesker.:cool:

They take a bit of effort to unlock, but his levels are what UC is all about. His comments throughout are rather cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Slightly off thread.I got RE umbrella on sunday and went to go try it last night but when i put disc in,an error came up on screen,eject disc-put console in standby-consult manual. Faulty game? All others work fine.
    Sorry for hijack!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Admission: I never finished Umbrella Chronicles :(

What I assume was the final boss battle was just too damn frustrating and when I'd get near the end I'd always just get annihilated again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mk1600

If you can find it, track down Resident Evil 2 (Gamecube edition that can be backwards compatible on Wii) - its pretty much the PSX version but its worth playing with the Gamecube controller

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capcom-Resident-Evil-2-GameCube/dp/B0000942RA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1263240735&sr=8-3

Without a doubt in my mind this is the best Resident Evil title, because of the story, and the ease of play and the replay factor

I agree best of them all for game play and playability

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

tman wrote: »
    I really disliked Umbrella Chronicles... Got as far as the second boss boss and gave up
    It would be a lot more fun if you're playing with someone though.

RE4 Wii is the definitive version of the game, well worth getting if you fancy playing through it again. It uses the Wiimote for aiming, and motion controls for reloading/knifing.
    yup :D i am sure that 2 players are 1000times awesome than playing on your own! i always play with my brother which is a good laugh since he is so damn afraid of these horror stuffs - and when i tried to play it only by myself i get bored pretty quick :(

as a guide for buying the 2 shooters on wii:imo umbrella chronicles is better designed as a story teller than darkside chronicle - darkside chronicle has an improved game play experience which they learn from the umbrella one. darkside chronicle was abit disappointing tbh,the story aspect is just weaker than the umbrella to me:confused:(considering how we all love RE2)

Completed Darkside Chroncicles and managed to unlock the secret Krauser missions i read about.

I was dissappointed to see that it wasnt two new levels just a replay of the final two levels on a harder difficulty and with Krausers thoughts as he turns towards the darkside. This really sucked, altho interesting replaying the final two levels was jus frustrating. One new level from RE4 or whatever would have been nice.

I enjoyed Chronicles (especially the RE2 bits) and have completed twice but i dont really have the urge to play it anymore.
    The RE Archives is in the mail!!!

I was hoping that Krauser's secret missions would show
    his first meeting with Wesker
    , they were pretty disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 GeminiStrife

Resi Evil Remake is probably my favourite game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Sada wrote: »
    Just a note about REmake, and presumably applies to the upcoming Zero re-issue too;
    If you're running your Wii in 16:9 mode, you should really set it to 4:3 (and change your tv settings too so it's not stretched, unless you prefer that).

Because these games are 4:3 only, if the Wii is outputting for 16:9 it'll "squash" the output and add black bars to either side of the video, reducing the quality somewhat.

I know that sounds like a bunch of bs, but I noticed a pretty big difference, in fact when I first played REmake the gfx looked pretty terrible because of this.

the zero version is made for widescreen but i know when u turn it to 4:3 it makes it more compact thats why it looks better...though 4:3 on re1 annoyed me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 drenbot1986

does any 1 have RE2 the gamecube version for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

33blatk.jpg

Resi is one of my favourite franchises. I'd recommend Resi 4 Wii edition, then Resi REmake, and possibly Resi 5.

Resi 4 Wii Edition has true WS support, and comes with all the bells and whistles the PS2 version came with. It's also an amazing single player campaign, has two added side quests (Separate Ways being actually quite long - maybe 4-5 hours!) and Mercenaries is quite addictive. It doesn't have that inconvenient sh1te with attache space, and has the awesome merchant. Lock, load, and whoop ass. And it's pretty scary too.

REmake is a beautiful game, really haunting, and survival horror (not action horror) at it's best. I loved the fan service, the storyline, everything. Lovely. That was the kind of remake everyone wishes a game would get and very few receive.

Resi 5 : If you have someone at home that can play games with you, then Resi 5 is great. Not so much single player, but I played mine on couch-co-op and loved it. "Gold Edition" is only recently out, and comes with the extra DLC and costumes, although it might be cheaper to buy an old copy of the game and buy the DLC yourself. Man, seeing the Resi mansion in crazy HD is awesome. There are reviews on GameTrailers which show you how gorgeous the game is. Melee and inventory is more restrictive than Resi 4, but I guess you can't have it all!

Have to say, didn't like Umbrella Chronicles, maybe i'm just crap at lightgun games but me and the same mate didn't enjoy it.

Of the older games, Resi CV:X seems to be everyone's favourite but i'm one of those who can't really go back. I enjoyed REmake the best out of all of the static camera games.

I'll throw it out there. If you have a gaming PC, get Resi 4. The HD mods I've seen for the game are simply amazing. Resi 4 HD made me spooge myself!

jaykhunter wrote: »
    REmake is a beautiful game, really haunting, and survival horror (not action horror) at it's best. I loved the fan service, the storyline, everything. Lovely. That was the kind of remake everyone wishes a game would get and very few receive.

I agree. REmake is the ultimate expression of the classic RE formula. It's one of the few RE games where I find myself walking around slowly, lest I run into something. The use of light and shadow make it easy to miss zombies in corners!

I bought my cousin a copy for €15 in Smyths, it's a steal at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'll throw it out there. If you have a gaming PC, get Resi 4. The HD mods I've seen for the game are simply amazing. Resi 4 HD made me spooge myself!

Forget the graphics mods*, Resi 4 on the PC is worth its simply for this mod (watch with sound):D:

* dont actually forget the graphics mods, the basic PC game is the ps2 version and the graphics are awful, the graphics ripped from the wii version are a must too.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

If you love old school resident evil( and I do) that means, dodgy controls and fixed camera perspective then remake is amazing. It's actually the best of the old style.

Umbrella and darkside are hit and miss. I don't take to them anyway.
    but 4 is the best resident evil game ever made.

From what iv heard RE4 is the best but iv all ready completed it on the PS2, is it worth buying it again?
    Do the games take full advantage of the wii controls ( i.e. can i swing an axe into some zombies head, or a chainsaw through several heads)?
    if not is there another game i should be looking for more grown-up action?

Although it's awesome, I wouldn't pay 20 euros for the Wii edition just to have Wii controls (which make the game a lot easier). You've already played (or have access to) Separate Ways so I can't justify the buy! Em, there's nothing amazing about the controls; it's more point and shoot, or waggle when asked :D

Here's some games that you might consider.....

Dead Space F'N AWESOME (Resi 4 in Space) for PS360
    Dead Space Extraction for Wii (it is an on-rails shooter though)
    Eternal Darkness (GC, so it plays on the Wii)
    Siren : Blood Curse (PS3 Dowloadable Game -- terrifying!)
    FEAR series (but they're FPS)
    Condemned (First person again)

Lots of blood on the Wii, maybe MadWorld or No More Heroes 2...

Ah, but the Wii and GC version of Resi 4 look way nicer than the PS2 version!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah, but the Wii and GC version of Resi 4 look way nicer than the PS2 version!

waa?! Didn't the PS2 version come out afterwards?! what happened!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Gamecube was the lead console, a series of games were made my Capcom at the time for the GC, Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil 4, Killer 7 and P.N.03.
    Because of the strength of the PS2 and the relative weakness of the GC, especially in the international markets, Viewtiful Joe, RE4 and Killer 7 were remade for the PS2.
    Killer 7 remained a niche title, Viewtiful Joe never really attained the sales it deserved, although it was critically acclaimed and RE4, well, that was a runaway hit.

Then, just to add the cherry to the top of the gaming cakeyness, they made a Wii edition of RE4, with much wanted widescreen support included.

The main reason it didn't look as good on the PS2 was simply because the GC was the lead console, the whole thing was tailored for the Ninty hardware, so there would always have to be compromises on the PS2, didn't stop it selling loads though!

• Advertisement

To be honest the PS2 version of Resident Evil 4 was a fantastic conversion and couldn't really look any nicer. The reason Resi 4 looks so much better on the Gamecube is that the Gamecube was a far superior console technically than the PS2. It had a processor over twice as fast as the PS2 and had one of the most advanced GPU cards in any console at the time which put the PS2's GPU to shame. There's a lot of atmospheric effects, shaders, lighting effects and shadows that could easily be handled by the GC that had to be cut out and the polygon counts on character models and scenery had very reduced polygon counts.

Good comparison here:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement