Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beepbeep.ie

• 04-01-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

Well guys - it's live! www.beepbeep.ie

Whaddaya think? Content not great at the mo, cq. 8k cars.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

click here - nav goes to text and you cant click forward or backwards, also header goes to normal text and is vertical rather than horizontal

btw - FF 3.5.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Looks pretty good. It seems to auto update as I select each ption which can be a bit annoying. I would rather enter all my options and then search. Certainly along way ahead of carzone. Works quickly on a slow mobile broadband connection too unlike the uk autotrader which I can no longer use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

seems quite good - could you do another one with cheaper cars though?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

voxpop wrote: »
    click here - nav goes to text and you cant click forward or backwards, also header goes to normal text and is vertical rather than horizontal

btw - FF 3.5.6

Don't really understand what you're saying here?

Has anyone seen / heard any ads for it yet?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is a lot of (IMO) scary tactics built into the site

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »

Im talking about the navigation menu - did you click on the link ? Anyway Ive attached a screen shot, in case its just me.

A. - the Nav menu that once was links is now just text
    B. - What once was headers for the table of listed cars is now also text and vertical

100796.jpg

The previous version of your pic (uncropped) showed that some javascript was blocked - I can't get that to happen on my PC in IE so this may be what is causing the issue you see.

kbannon wrote: »
    There is a lot of (IMO) scary tactics built into the site

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Sorting by engine size "UP TO" is the wong way round IMO.

It should be "OVER"

If I go looking for hot hatches I would try and look for 2 litre and over engines, but there is no way to do that here is there?

The previous version of your pic (uncropped) showed that some javascript was blocked - I can't get that to happen on my PC in IE so this may be what is causing the issue you see.

Jeysus,you must be just sitting there hitting refresh, that was only up for a minute or so :D
    virtualearth and google-analytics are blocked so wouldnt be an issue - the pages previous to this worked - i.e. I was navigating using the javascript menu, clicked on page 4,maybe 5 and boom - menu changed to txt and headers changed - works fine if I just go from the homepage and click through the nav menu.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Looks nice. When looking at a list of cars middle-clicking (or ctrl+click) to open in a new tab does open the result in a new tab but also navigates to it on the current tab as well. Personally I like to get my search results, then while keeping them open in one tab I open the entries I'm most interested in in other tabs which is difficult with this.

Such as?
    I felt that the items in red would not really be seen on any other car sales website so prominantly and are intentionally put there to instill a sense of fear in the viewer. (just my €0.02)
    100798.jpg

Sorting by engine size "UP TO" is the wong way round IMO.

It should be "OVER"

If I go looking for hot hatches I would try and look for 2 litre and over engines, but there is no way to do that here is there?
    This is Ireland, where you are not meant to go over 2 litres
    voxpop wrote: »
    Jeysus,you must be just sitting there hitting refresh, that was only up for a minute or so :D
    F5...F5...F5...F5

Ok what seems to cause it(for me anyway) is

Do a search
    Click on an ad to view the enlarged picture and details
    Hit back on the browser
    Click on the nav (either a page number or next)
    broke webpage

I felt that the items in red would not really be seen on any other car sales website so prominantly and are intentionally put there to instill a sense of fear in the viewer. (just my €0.02)

On reflection there is no shortage of scaremongering alright! But I suppose that is the whole point of it?
    100798.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

You'll probably get some great feedback over in the design forum but... my tuppence:

1) It's a bit loud: too much flash, contrast too high, font couple of points too big, mouseover popups on the simi icons in the search listings are mahoosive...

2) What's the story with the Jag ad? You're target market is 2nd hand car buyers/sellers, isn't it? It's completely at odds with that. Anyway, it's a little bit cheeky, IHMO, to be lacing the site with ads.

3) Search criteria is absolutely cack:
    e.g. price steps: first three options are 5k, 10k, 20k.
    e.g. engine size: first three options are 1l 2l, 3l.
    Need more granularity here. As an interface to the data, the dropdowns don't provide the level of control you need. People won't like using it and, therefore, they're unlikely to come back. What you need is a double ended scroller widgets like CZ. I can do these for you if you want ;);)

4) You're fav icon is blurry and does not have a transparent background.

What about the content though? Restricted choice and high end stock is all I see! Cheapest 7er is 25k!:eek:

Cheapest on CBG / CZ is under 2k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ì think what he means is that there's no option to go "back" and modify the search criteria.

By Header he means the column headings (description, year, location etc) are in a vertical list at the top rather than across the columns themselves.

(I'm seeing the same thing using Firefox 3.5.6)

EDIT: Nevermind - that'll teach me to read on first! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

What about the content though? Restricted choice and high end stock is all I see! Cheapest 7er is 25k!:eek:

Cheapest on CBG / CZ is under 2k!

Well it is the SIMI own website, where only the select few can post adverts, so it's not likely to be keen price-wise. It's as closed-shop as you'll get.

Not surprising also that they are using the scare-mongering tactics. Implication is that all SIMI dealers are honest, and all other dealers are not ... !!!

Wrong time to be pushing high end stock IMO opinion. All that's selling ATMO is bargain basement / credit union money stuff. That's why Done Deal is doing so well right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

I only found this yesterday - I think it could be the best car search site I've used.

The tax and CO2 variables are hugely appreciated too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Disaster.. just another site to be searching for cars to be honest..

Advertisement