Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yet another first car thread

• 04-01-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

:rolleyes:

First of surprised there isn't a thread with helpful tips for people buying their first cars stickied on this. Iv spent a huge amount of time researching cars, insurance, tax, and have picked up some useful tips.. If no such thread exists I would be happy to try compile a thread although my knowledge on cars is somewhat limited!

Basically 21 yr old, male, 3 year NCB as a named driver, Full licence since I was seventeen. looking for a decent car within the €5k-7.5k mark.

Pretty much decided on the Opel Corsa similar to this one http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Corsa/1.0-Club/200936195087885/advert?channel=CARS although car I have lined up is nearly €2000 cheaper :eek:

As far as I can see advantages are: Cheap insurance, Low tax, Relatively new car (getting 12 month guarantee), And I like the look and feel of the car

Disadvantages are primarily the 1.0 litre engine iv to drive from Waterford to Dublin quite a bit and the difficulties selling it on I would be changing cars this time next year (hopefully!)

Iv also seriously considered the Fiat Punto which I think looks like a great first car 1.3 engine.

If anyone as any feedback regarding the above two cars or any other for that matter! and/or helpful tips for someone buying their first car which could be put towards a definitive thread id appreciate any tips!

Mods if such a thread already exists I apologise I spent a good bit of time trawling through the forum but inevitably will probably have missed it!

For the record Quinn Directseem to be the best insurance company for a young male driver :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Ford Fiesta 1.25L would be a good buy - probably the nicest to drive in the class and very easy to sell on.
    Wouldn't look past a good priced Honda Jazz either, not very exciting but very reliable.

Corsa is not so hot and the punto may (if you are unlucky) give trouble and will be harder to sell on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

+1 on the Fiesta, I would choose it over the Corsa every time and the Fiesta is better in almost every department to the Corsa. The Steel model comes with the excellent 1.25 litre engine that was co designed with Yamaha, the Steel also comes with some nice toys and looks well with the alloy wheels. Here is a nice 07 for similar money as the 06 Corsa:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200938195244736

I'd also look at the Renault Clio, they are a grand little car and the newer model is well within budget, it is a fresher design and carries a higher safety rating than either the Corsa or Fiesta of that vintage:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200946195872527
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200910192071535

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Viejo Zorro

kuro_man wrote: »
    Corsa is not so hot and the punto may (if you are unlucky) give trouble and will be harder to sell on.

Agreed. I would not touch a Punto with a barge-pole. Having had two Punto engined cars, both experiencing massive cooling and gasket trouble, as well as watching the woeful depreciation that nearly all fiats have experienced in the market in the past five years, I would not recommend one.

The one litre Corsa. Similarly enough, I have witnessed the existence of a considerably high amount of cooling problems with these as well. The 1.2 is a car I would drive, but it would be by no means my first option.

If you are looking for something cheap and cheerful, a Hyundai Accent is fairly mechanically sound, but I'm not a fan of the build.

I would recommend a Toyota Yaris, they are virtually indestructible. Also, would concur with the recommendation of a Honda Jazz - fantastic car and doesn't look as girly as some smaller cars can.

If you wanted to stand out, I would go for a Suzuki Cappuccino, they can only appreciate in value. See MIJ's review of one last summer. That said, as a practical road runner, it isn't at the races... but still... it kinda is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

hey, i had a 00 punto for my 1st car, its a great car to drive v cheap on petrol tax and insurence but the gasget, clutch, brake cable and exhaust broke on me in the space of 2years, but all v cheap to fix,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Bluefox21 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

First of surprised there isn't a thread with helpful tips for people buying their first cars stickied on this. Iv spent a huge amount of time researching cars, insurance, tax, and have picked up some useful tips.. If no such thread exists I would be happy to try compile a thread although my knowledge on cars is somewhat limited!

Basically 21 yr old, male, 3 year NCB as a named driver, Full licence since I was seventeen. looking for a decent car within the €5k-7.5k mark.

Pretty much decided on the Opel Corsa similar to this one http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Corsa/1.0-Club/200936195087885/advert?channel=CARS although car I have lined up is nearly €2000 cheaper :eek:

As far as I can see advantages are: Cheap insurance, Low tax, Relatively new car (getting 12 month guarantee), And I like the look and feel of the car

Disadvantages are primarily the 1.0 litre engine iv to drive from Waterford to Dublin quite a bit and the difficulties selling it on I would be changing cars this time next year (hopefully!)

Iv also seriously considered the Fiat Punto which I think looks like a great first car 1.3 engine.

If anyone as any feedback regarding the above two cars or any other for that matter! and/or helpful tips for someone buying their first car which could be put towards a definitive thread id appreciate any tips!

Mods if such a thread already exists I apologise I spent a good bit of time trawling through the forum but inevitably will probably have missed it!

For the record Quinn Directseem to be the best insurance company for a young male driver :P

I'd avoid the Corsa if doing a lot of motorway driving. Had one for 2 years. A lovely little car in the city and on short dual-carriageway drives, but needing to drop to second gear to overtake and back up to third on the wrong side of the road can be trying.

If you have 3 years NCB you could get insurance on a 1.3 Swift for €1400 comprehensive (at most - online quotes can be beaten down in person in an office) with Hibernian, and you could get more by passing ignition (well worth it - I got 30% after my 2nd attempt)

The Swift is a nice nippy car, test drove one last summer and would say it's fairly good.

Or one of these
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/Xsara/1.4-VTR-/200924193057600/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

hey, i had a 00 punto for my 1st car, its a great car to drive v cheap on petrol tax and insurence but the gasget, clutch, brake cable and exhaust broke on me in the space of 2years, but all v cheap to fix,
    But to be fair it'd be cheaper if they didn't go.

I had an 01 Punto and had to replace the engine. I for one, will never buy another Fiat again

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

at the end of the day its a cheap car to buy, cheap to run and cheap to fix and cheap on insurence which is what a first time buyer wants to get him or her on the road, i myself would not buy another punto but the one i did have was cheap to buy and run and got me around and also got me my full licence, happy days for a fist car would you agree?

Advertisement