Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bono has put his foot in it again: Internet policing idea draws fire

• 04-01-2010 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Bono hinting at Chinese style Internet monitoring has drawn sharp criticism.

"Writing for the New York Times, Bono claimed internet service providers were "reverse Robin Hoods" benefiting from the music industry's lost profits".

"He hinted that China's efforts prove that tracking net content is possible".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8439200.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

When Bono starts paying his taxes in this country then maybe ill listen to what he has to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nice, so the reknowned human rights campainer Bono wants the Western World to take its lead from one of the biggest abusers of human rights because it affects his pocket.

Why does anyone still pay attention to the odious dwarf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

BluesBerry wrote: »
    When Bono starts paying his taxes in this country then maybe ill listen to what he has to say
    Rubbish reason to start listening to somebody. Just because somebody pays taxes, it doesn't mean that they are suddenly worth listening to. Brush Shields pays his taxes yet Pighead has no desire to listen to anything he has to say. You should re-evaluate your criteria for deciding whether somebody is worth listening to or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Really??

It'd take alot more than that for me to start listening to that "9.5 couric" pillock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ridiculous!

It's amazing how many people jump on the "Bono doesn't pay his taxes in Ireland" bandwagon.

So if you hired an accountant who told you that you could work the exact same hours as before, but get paid more for it by paying less tax you'd tell him to bog off?

I don't think so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Bono *does* pay his taxes here. The company which owns the band, however, pay theirs in the Netherlands. I think it's very hypocritical of Irish people to object to that - perhaps you'd like Intel, Microsoft and thousands of other companies to stop paying their international taxes in Ireland and repatriate it back to the US instead?

On topic, I think he does have a point. There is lots that ISPs could do to prevent piracy but they don't want the hassle or the negative criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Ridiculous!

It's amazing how many people jump on the "Bono doesn't pay his taxes in Ireland" bandwagon.

No whats amazing is how Bono thinks he can demand that the Irish government give out more overseas aid to Africa which comes from Taxpayers money in which he doesnt contribute to he has Fame from being in a band which has gone to his head and thinks he can do what the hell he wants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

No whats amazing is how Bono thinks he can demand that the Irish government give out more overseas aid to Africa which comes from Taxpayers money in which he doesn't contribute to he has Fame from being in a band which has gone to his head and thinks he can do what the hell he wants

He also attempts to brown nose with the Globalists by bringing up the subject of Internet policing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Even if he donated all his earnings to charity I wouldn't listen to him - the preening knobgoblin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

markpb wrote: »
    Bono *does* pay his taxes here. The company which owns the band, however, pay theirs in the Netherlands. I think it's very hypocritical of Irish people to object to that - perhaps you'd like Intel, Microsoft and thousands of other companies to stop paying their international taxes in Ireland and repatriate it back to the US instead?

On topic, I think he does have a point. There is lots that ISPs could do to prevent piracy but they don't want the hassle or the negative criticism.

Yes, ISPs could interfere with their users communication, but this isn't China.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Rabble, rabble, rabble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

No whats amazing is how Bono thinks he can demand that the Irish government give out more overseas aid to Africa which comes from Taxpayers money in which he doesnt contribute to he has Fame from being in a band which has gone to his head and thinks he can do what the hell he wants

That's it BluesBerry, cut him down to size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

He should be worrying less about internet policing and more about making an album that people would actually want to pay for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    He should be worrying less about internet policing and more about making an album that people would actually want to pay for...
    I agree..

So then I can download it illegally and never actually listen to it, but have it as part of my insanely large music collection, "Just in case" somebody wants to listen to it at a houseparty in six months time...
    Not that they will...

F*ck you Bono..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Rabble, rabble, rabble!

Here! Here! More of this sort of thing and less of the other!

He does this of other countries also. He doesnt pay his taxes in these other countires either.

By the way, you're now saying he's wrong to try to help starving people in Africa because Bono doesnt pay his taxes in Ireland, you sir..............

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fannymcslap

My God he is a horrible little c unt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I would like to hear Degsy's views on Bono's comments :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The Bono ate my baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

blubloblu wrote: »
    Yes, ISPs could interfere with their users communication, but this isn't China.

Don't worry, I'm quite sure the EU will implement some laws that will force ISP's to reduce piracy.

• Advertisement

Wazdakka wrote: »
    F*ck you Bono..

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Don't worry, I'm quite sure the EU will implement some laws that will force ISP's to reduce piracy.

Do you mean the same EU that has already told them to shove it up their hole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Bono who?

Jumpy wrote: »
    Do you mean the same EU that has already told them to shove it up their hole?
    No. You haven't yet heard of ATCA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

He does this of other countries also. He doesnt pay his taxes in these other countires either.

By the way, you're now saying he's wrong to try to help starving people in Africa because Bono doesnt pay his taxes in Ireland, you sir..............

Bono irritates people because everything he does is so public. He's a massive publicity whore. Fair enough 'Third World Debt' needs to be resolved. But when Bono harps on about it - its like he's blaming everybody else for living in a comfortable western culture.

Pot Kettle Black

He's made millions out of the music industry. He wants for nothing.

Why doesn't he just enjoy his earnings, donate to charity quietly and leave the rest of us alone?

dolliemix wrote: »
    Bono irritates people because everything he does is so public. He's a massive publicity whore.

Just wanted to say that Larry Mullen is an absolute legend because he is the exact opposite of this.

Echoes of George Harrison.

Bono irritates people because everything he does is so public. He's a massive publicity whore. Fair enough 'Third World Debt' needs to be resolved. But when Bono harps on about it - its like he's blaming everybody else for living in a comfortable western culture.

Pot Kettle Black

He's made millions out of the music industry. He wants for nothing.

Why doesn't he just enjoy his earnings, donate to charity quietly and leave the rest of us alone?

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just making the point that people who give out about Bono not paying tax would jump at the chance to pay less tax themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'm moving to the Isle of Man next month where they plan on sticking a £1 per month levy on broadband users which will allow users to download whatever music they want from wherever they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Ridiculous!

So if you hired an accountant who told you that you could work the exact same hours as before, but get paid more for it by paying less tax you'd tell him to bog off?

I don't think so!

Actually if I were receiving as many millions as he is, I'd like to think I'd be fairly alright with paying my taxes like the rest of the people who earn.

• Advertisement

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just making the point that people who give out about Bono not paying tax would jump at the chance to pay less tax themselves!

No you didn't. You said two totally different things :D

Jakkass wrote: »
    Actually if I were receiving as many millions as he is, I'd like to think I'd be fairly alright with paying my taxes like the rest of the people who earn.

You wouldn't like to pay less tax?

Have you gone to the tax office and requested they up your tax rate?

MrStuffins - there is no correlation between your average Joe Soap who wouldn't mind paying less tax but still pays his tax anyway and the completely mega rich man who has too much money, who pontificates to the ordinary Joe Sop as to how well off he is and he should really be thinking more about the poor artists who's songs are being downloaded illegally and the starving people in Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Earthhorse wrote: »
    The Bono ate my baby.

He ate My Little Pony:eek:
    He deserves the trots!

Baxtard!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Some such laws have been discussed but will find it hard to get passed in parliament as no one can agree. Especially with a Pirate Party in there :D

Of course, but Bono is not in the same realm of wealth as most people. Him taking his taxes (or his company, U2 LTD) away to gain from tax breaks elsewhere is plain hypocritical. My argument to him would be that me downloading his back catalogue is me benefiting from the availability of free music to make a monetary gain.

It's also worth noting that this kind of ranting didn't exactly work for Metallica, so how his loud mouth thinks he can make any ounce of difference is hilarious. At least Metallica didn't move their money to Holland.
    3DataModem wrote: »
    I'm moving to the Isle of Man next month where they plan on sticking a £1 per month levy on broadband users which will allow users to download whatever music they want from wherever they want.

Interesting idea but on a wide-scale idea it may go south. Unless handy deals are done with labels, of course. The issue is that while piracy is a huge issue, most people online still don't download illegally... certainly not on the scale that would require a €1 levy for every user per bill or whatever. Sticking that levy on will mean more people will download, because they think that buying the CD on iTunes or in HMV means they're paying stealth tax or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Nobody has heard of Sector 7 ATCA.

Dude, why even post? No one actually takes you seriously anymore.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins - there is no correlation between your average Joe Soap who wouldn't mind paying less tax but still pays his tax anyway and the completely mega rich man who has too much money, who pontificates to the ordinary Joe Sop as to how well off he is and he should really be thinking more about the poor artists who's songs are being downloaded illegally and the starving people in Africa.

Of course there is.

Answer me truthfully, if you were given the chance tomorrow to pay less tax, would you take it?

And just answer the question, don't give me another long waffle about his pontificating, i know all about it, i AM alive you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Just wanted to say that Larry Mullen is an absolute legend because he is the exact opposite of this.

Echoes of George Harrison.

George Harrison gave millions to the leader of the Hare Krishna to live like royalty while his followers pledge total poverty.

Bono has more money than sense. He can talk all he wants about saving the world, but the second anything comes along that might not keep his bank balance going up, his true colours come out.

Of course there is.

Answer me truthfully, if you were given the chance tomorrow to pay less tax, would you take it?

And just answer the question, don't give me another long waffle about his pontificating, i know all about it, i AM alive you know?

1. Yes I'd love to have more money

2. I don't expect other people to pay for all the services that I use so I will continue to pay my taxes

3. I don't go around trying to make people feel guilty all the time

4. Is this thread not about Bono being a**hole who talks too much?

So why are you asking me would I prefer to pay less taxes?

This has nothing to do with me. I've done nothing wrong. Leave me alone!

You're doing a Bono on it now! :D

Are you really Bono???:eek::eek::eek:

1. Yes I'd love to have more money

2. I don't expect other people to pay for all the services that I use so I will continue to pay my taxes

3. I don't go around trying to make people feel guilty all the time

4. Is this thread not about Bono being a**hole who talks too much?

So why are you asking me would I prefer to pay less taxes?

This has nothing to do with me. I've done nothing wrong. Leave me alone!

You're doing a Bono on it now! :D

Are you really Bono???:eek::eek::eek:

I was replying to someone who gave out about his taxes, you then replied to me. Try to keep up.

All this "Bono is an asshole" business is ridiculous. The man, believe it or not, is trying to do GOOD! He has done alot for people who are not in a position to do anything for themselves. He has a hand in pressuring the US Government in adding an extra $5bn worth of aid in 2002.

You said: "Why doesn't he just enjoy his earnings, donate to charity quietly and leave the rest of us alone?". The reason he doesnt do this is because he realises this is not enough.

The man is trying to save lives. His actions have saved 1000s of lives and you sit at your computer and tell him to stop?

How completely ridiculous!

I realise all of what i'm saying is futile as it's fashionable to hate Bono, so people like you will just be sheep and repeat the "Bono is an idiot" rubbish, so i'm out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

I'd say Bono is sound. I wouldn't mind going for a pint with the lad

• Advertisement

If I were receiving millions of euro like Bono, I don't see why I shouldn't contribute to the State via tax. It's mere short change to him. If I were struggling to make ends meet on the other hand, I might see what tax avoidance was available to me. Tax avoidance being legal ways of avoiding tax rather than tax evasion.

I'm nowhere near in that position. But I'd like to think if I were earning a healthy salary that I'd have no problem with giving a portion to the State. Indeed, it could be argued that it is a social responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Bono pays taxes in Ireland.
    U2 LTD pays taxes in the Netherlands.

Bono =/= U2.
    Bono = 1/4 of U2.

Do I need to simplyify this more?

Ok, I'll try.
    Bono (aka Paul Hewson) pays taxes in Ireland.
    Bono part-owns a company named U2 LTD. This company no longer pays taxes in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

I wonder what is his favourite pint. Is he a guinness man or what? Does he support Liverpool?

I was replying to someone who gave out about his taxes, you then replied to me. Try to keep up.

All this "Bono is an asshole" business is ridiculous. The man, believe it or not, is trying to do GOOD! He has done alot for people who are not in a position to do anything for themselves. He has a hand in pressuring the US Government in adding an extra $5bn worth of aid in 2002.

You said: "Why doesn't he just enjoy his earnings, donate to charity quietly and leave the rest of us alone?". The reason he doesnt do this is because he realises this is not enough.

The man is trying to save lives. His actions have saved 1000s of lives and you sit at your computer and tell him to stop?

I realise all of what i'm saying is futile as it's fashionable to hate Bono, so people like you will just be sheep and repeat the "Bono is an idiot" rubbish, so i'm out of here.

Ok you're deluded if you think Bono single-handedly saved 1000s of lives through his actions.

For every word that Bono utters there are 1000s of volunteers, aid workers, politicians etc working on the ground trying 'actively' to save lives. He is no hero.

There are 1000s of organisations and anonymous people working for Third World Debt resolution. Its a complicated issue - and not as simplistic as Bono likes to let on. ANd infact Bono's need to speed everything up causes problems for economists trying to find a long-term solution to this problem. He doesn't look at the whole picture and upsets the aims of a lot of people who are genuinely taking Third World issues to task.

My opinion isn't 'fashionable' it's my opinion based on observing Bono over the last twenty years and at the same time studying Sustainable Management in Third World countries.

He wrecks my head. He is an idiot.

Terry wrote: »
    Bono pays taxes in Ireland.
    U2 LTD pays taxes in the Netherlands.

Bono =/= U2.
    Bono = 1/4 of U2.

Do I need to simplyify this more?

Ok, I'll try.
    Bono (aka Paul Hewson) pays taxes in Ireland.
    Bono part-owns a company named U2 LTD. This company no longer pays taxes in Ireland.

Hi Terry

I never actually said that Bono doesn't pay his taxes. Infact the whole tax thing doesn't really bother me at all.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Nobody has heard of Sector 7 ATCA.

One day you will. :p

And it will be the likes of Bono that will be promoting ATCA in Ireland.

A global version of INFACT

MrStuffins: I don't hate Bono, he clearly has a good heart in him somewhere, but I don't think he should be glorified.

His latest step in policing the internet is a bit extreme though, and that warrants criticism.

Jakkass wrote: »
    MrStuffins: I don't hate Bono, he clearly has a good heart in him somewhere, but I don't think he should be glorified.

His latest step in policing the internet is a bit extreme though, and that warrants criticism.

I agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ok you're deluded if you think Bono single-handedly saved 1000s of lives through his actions.

For every word that Bono utters there are 1000s of volunteers, aid workers, politicians etc working on the ground trying 'actively' to save lives. He is no hero.

There are 1000s of organisations and anonymous people working for Third World Debt resolution. Its a complicated issue - and not as simplistic as Bono likes to let on. ANd infact Bono's need to speed everything up causes problems for economists trying to find a long-term solution to this problem. He doesn't look at the whole picture and upsets the aims of a lot of people who are genuinely taking Third World issues to task.

My opinion isn't 'fashionable' it's my opinion based on observing Bono over the last twenty years and at the same time studying Sustainable Management in Third World countries.

He wrecks my head. He is an idiot.
    Here's the thing.
    You (and most people in Ireland) do not like Bono.

What you are missing is that he is loved around the world.
    His words inspire others to take action (not me. I'm too lazy and really couldn't give a flying **** about the third world in all honesty), and those people go and help others in the third world.

That's a win for poor people.

Terry wrote: »
    Here's the thing.
    You (and most people in Ireland) do not like Bono.

What you are missing is that he is loved around the world.
    His words inspire others to take action (not me. I'm too lazy and really couldn't give a flying **** about the third world in all honesty), and those people go and help others in the third world.

That's a win for poor people.

Fair enough Terry.

There's a bit of a difference to how you put your point of view across and how MrStuffins did. And my post was a reaction to MrStuffins post. I have an informed point of view and I'm told I'm trying to be fashionable and that I'm a sheep:rolleyes:

At the same time, it is still the case though, that his aim of erradicating Third World Dept altogether, is messing up longterm sustainablity ventures in Third World countries and in some cases, where there are corrupt Governments, its fuelling the problem. So at the end of the day - the saving 1000s of lives right now, is probably going to cause worse problems in the next generation or two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement