Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

domain names - how to protect your details?

• 04-01-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

I dislike the amount of personal information that can be freely obtained via the whois database.

I therefore try to limit the amount of information I put in and sometimes with the likes of .eu domain names they do not get accepted.

Is there a sensible, cost effective method of protecting ones privacy whilst still retaining full control? I am aware of some anonymous services which exist but many are US based.

On the .eu domain names. I tried to register two over the xmas period with easily.co.uk.

Now I receive within a day an email from easily.co.uk telling me the registration failed due to lack of information and money has been refunded.

I then receive another email about 1 day after the easily email from netnames, telling me:

[FONT=&quot]_____________________________________________________
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hi,[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Registrant First and Last name is required for this type of order. Please supply this information by close of business Monday 4th January or order will be cancelled and payment refunded to your account.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Kind Regards,

My initial thought was the netnames email is a phishing email - just chancing their luck trying to get me to reregister but with them?

Do you guys have any views on who the best registrar is, one who can offer you the best selection of names to purchase etc. Some people have suggested godaddy.com?

[/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

All domain providers not just US ones can provide you with domain protection services which ensure your personal details don't show up on a whois search , contact whoever your domain is registered with and they'll sort this out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Thanks Sposs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

EURid does NOT show personal details, except for registrant's email. No name or address are shown in their DB for private users, only for companies. You do have to provide your name to the registrar, some accept fakes though.

Thanks None. The EURid is specifically for .eu domains.

I have never considered the option of made up names because I believe I read somewhere that this can/could cause ownership issues later on.

Thanks mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

The amount of data displayed varies

.tel - private individual can opt out of whois
    .co.uk - same
    .eu - port 43 whois only shows nameservers. You need to go to a Eurid's whois site to get more detail. Personal registrations only show the email
    .be - same as .eu
    .ie - only the name displayed

• Advertisement

Thanks BK.

Losing me a little with the port 43 tech speak!:)

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Thanks BK.

Losing me a little with the port 43 tech speak!:)
    Sorry :)

The port 43 whois is important, as it's how other websites are able to scrap the data ie. whois check / lookup sites use it, so if it's not available that way, they can't show it

Thanks BK,

I checked for example bodybuilding.eu and on the eurid.eu I could see all the relevant info but on easily.co.uk nothing.

On another level is a .eu domain that relevant? I am purely looking at it as a 4 letter acronym is available as a .eu where as in .com, .net or anyother tld it is not.

I checked for example bodybuilding.eu and on the eurid.eu I could see all the relevant info but on easily.co.uk nothing.

They wouldn't be able to show the data, as they don't have access to it
    On another level is a .eu domain that relevant? I am purely looking at it as a 4 letter acronym is available as a .eu where as in .com, .net or anyother tld it is not.

The .eu domain is very popular in a lot of former Soviet Union countries. It hasn't been as popular in Ireland and the UK, but ultimately it's what you do with the domain ie. the content itself, that really wins out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Blacknight wrote: »
    The .eu domain is very popular in a lot of former Soviet Union countries.
    I bet you meant Soviet Bloc rather than Soviet Union ;) Ireland alone eclipses all former members of the Soviet Union by registrations. Even in the Soviet Bloc only Poland and Czech Republic got more .eu domains than Ireland which is, as you rightly said, not very keen on this extension :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement