Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Region 1 DVD, no receipt

Options
  • 04-01-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,782 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Got a dvd boxset from my aunt for Christmas. Was about to start watching it last night, but it came up as wrong region. Checked the box, and it while it doesn't have it in big letters or whatever, it does seem to be Region 1 (America). She bought it previously owned from a small record shop. Unfortunately, she no longer has the receipt.

What would be my chances of getting a refund or even store credit if I went back to them? I know the shop and normally they have a sticker on it if it's Region 1, but they didn't in this case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did she pay by laser/credit card? If so, that can act as proof of purchase.

If she paid by cash, then it's down to the goodwill of the shop. There's no harm in asking (politely).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are ways of modifying many if not most DVD players to be region free, often very simply. Try Googling the make and model plus the words "region free" and see what turns up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If there's no proof of purchase, all that can be done is ask.

www.videohelp.com is about the best place to look for region free hacks for DVD players. You may want to consider that, and just keep the DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,782 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've read that if I make copies of the discs, it makes them Region Free so I could then use them. And it's not illegal because they're for my own use and I own the originals. Making my DVD player region free might be a better solution though. Some dvds I want from America anyway :D

If the region free thing doesn't work, I suppose I'll just go in and ask. No harm no foul.

Cheers all

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Region 1 is common enough when you buy second hand. Lots of people with region free players buy from amazon, ebay or the US directly and just hand them in when they tire of them. Caveat emptor I'm afraid but do try asking in the shop.
    The whole region thing is a pain in the hole but what can you do..

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind the region thing if they labelled it as such, which as I said, that shop normally does. My aunt didn't remove any of the stickers though. Left the price tag and pre-owned stickers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Region 1 discs should not even be sold here. It is fine to buy them from abroad, like Amazon or whoever, for personal use. But they are not allowed to be sold from shops in Ireland. The reason being that every release for sale here must legally be rated by IFCO, which a region 1 disc won't be. Shops shouldn't be accepting them second hand to resell.

Perhaps them selling these discs illegally might be a help in getting a refund ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

are you trying to watch them on a PC or a normal DVD player or Playstation ect ?

Whats the Boxset as there may not be a region 2 equivalent and sometimes the region 1 versions are better with different extra features etc

jor el wrote: »
    If there's no proof of purchase, all that can be done is ask.

www.videohelp.com is about the best place to look for region free hacks for DVD players. You may want to consider that, and just keep the DVD.

Damn, I wish I could thank this post twice. Worked an absolute treat. Thanks!

Advertisement