Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed - best car stereo speakers

• 04-01-2010 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Apologies mods if this is posted in the wrong place ! ;)

Just wondering if anyone could recommend the best and most suitable cheapish car stereo speakers for a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe ?...I have absolutely no clue as to what I should buy, but I would like good ones as I love listening to decent music in the car :)

Thanks a lot for any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you'll need a decent headunit as well. What's in there at the moment.

A lot of people take out perfectly good factory speakers and swap them for off the shelf stuff that isn't any better.

Do you need more bassy sound, or what's the issue with the sound at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

Thanks Colm :)

The speakers in it at the moment are the bog standard ones which were supplied in the car...sound is not the best to be honest, and even worse now as the right speaker does not work !:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭YraggarY

Hi Rosielee,

I recently upgraded my factory sound system in my Toyota Sera to a full Alpine sound system install. I LOVE my music and the crackly factory speakers just weren't doing it for me!

The most important consideration should be your head unit, as Colm has suggested. There are a lot of high quality head units out there for quite good value these days; I ordered mine from http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/, getting the Alpine IDA-X305 head unit with iPod connector (the iPod hooks straight up to it and I can browse through my playlists and that using the head unit controls! Very handy!) although you can pick up Pioneer head units (another generally high-end brand) for quite cheap.
    If you're planning on upgrading the door speakers, keep in mind that your 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe has 6 speakers inside. You want nice rear fill as well as forward fill because its quite a large interior, so maybe consider upgrading one or both of the other pairs of speakers as well at the same time? As long as you invest in a good head unit, you can pick up cheap enough speakers for the rear fill. However, if this isn't much of a concern, always remember that your ears pick up sound from a forward direction rather than the rear. Too often people lob speakers in the back of their car and think it sounds amazing, but if they upgraded their front speakers it would sound 10 times better. :) I'm not entirely sure of the speaker size in your Santa Fe, but whether they're 13cm, 17cm, or any size inbetween, you can pick up good quality speakers for your doors for a very good price, especially online. Again, I'd recommend Alpine speakers, they've worked for me both on price and quality, but what's right for me may not necessarily be right for you, and vice versa!

If I can be of any help at all, fire a few questions at me and I'll do my best to provide you with good sound advice! No pun intended.. Well, okay, maybe a little! :pac:

Regards,

- Gary

Rosielee wrote: »
    Thanks Colm :)

The speakers in it at the moment are the bog standard ones which were supplied in the car...sound is not the best to be honest, and even worse now as the right speaker does not work !:rolleyes:

Are your rear speakers working at all?

Also what headunit is fitted at the moment, is it the Pioneer one that came with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

One of the best sounding car audio speakers I have heard are MB-Quart. What size and shape would depend on the space available.

I have a pair in my Civic and transferred them from my previous car.

• Advertisement

It should be mentioned that some insulation on the doors and behind trim panels would improve things too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

Thanks a lot guys :)

From reading all your posts it seems that I need to do a bit more research...I've no idea what head unit is on it but I'll have to check it out at the weekend when it is bright outside...I have sound in the back...it's just the speaker on the drivers side that isnt working...all in all the sound is not the best..so I said to myself that if I have to replace the drivers speaker then I may as well invest in a new speaker system altogether and get a decent one..;)

If ye dont mind I might need more help after I've had a look at what's in it at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭YraggarY

No problem! :)

I think the Santa Fe comes with a Sony or JVC branded head unit as standard, could be wrong though. I should also have done my own research a little more thoroughly, as it turns out there were a couple of different audio systems available in the 2002 Santa Fe. You may have 4 speakers, or 6 or even more.

A quick root around brought up this website http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t22513-santa-fe-speakers-what-size.htm which tells you speaker sizes for the front and rear, plus diagrams on how to actually remove and replace the speakers in a 2002 Santa Fe. :)
    The very last reply on the page is from someone who fully changed their audio system, so that may be of some use to you also. You can get Alpine full-range speakers to fit your car (6.5" or 17cm) from €30.00 to €110.00 on one website, in fact if you check out the one I linked to in my earlier post, caraudiodirect, browse around the site and see what head units and speakers etc strike your fancy. Then you can come back here if you'd like us to advise before you buy or anything like that, or help you find cheaper deals etc.

And of course, anything at all and we'll try our best, it costs nothing to be nice eh? :)

- Gary

Advertisement