Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Board

Options
  • 04-01-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Hey

I want to make a Hornby Baseboard using cork board - does anybody know where I could get a piece of cork board cut to 6' x 4' in Dublin?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not sure where you'd get tit but IMO you'd be better off buying a ply / MDF board to that size and using cork only where the track will be laid.

This will be cheaper and once covered in ballast give the impression of a slightly raised track bed due to all the ballasting in place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sog110

I agree with C_M. I'm just starting to build a baseboard. Making it from MDF framed by 75X25mm planed timber then using cork where the track bed will be. Anyone know the best thickness to use and where is the best place to get it (I'm thinking cork tiles would be cheapest?):)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

sog110 wrote: »
    I agree with C_M. I'm just starting to build a baseboard. Making it from MDF framed by 75X25mm planed timber then using cork where the track bed will be. Anyone know the best thickness to use and where is the best place to get it (I'm thinking cork tiles would be cheapest?):)

I'd say tiles would be best, though check out local model shops as they may have strips cheap enough and that'd be a bit less work. I'd keep it fairy thin tbh, you want to be easily able to hide it in ballast and not have it look out of place by being too high :)

Advertisement