Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phamton drives and root folder / directory on Win98SE

• 04-01-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all

Got an old win98SE installation. 5Gb HDD, ample RAM but with a floppy drive and root folder / directory which should not be there. Says I have 2 floppy drives A and B but I only have one of them ie A and sometimes that is not there as it is a lapop and I use that bay for the CD. And a folder / directory which has no name and I cannot query its size, number of files etc which you can do using the right mouse button.

I am always short of space - usually less than 50Mb - though I do not think I have all that much stuff on the HDD. I am curious if this mystery folder is hogging a large part of my HDD. I am loathed to delete it, incase I cannot operate the computer without it.

I have the orginial win98SE CD and I can remove the rubbish off the HDD and remove the stuff I need - data - to a CD as well but I do not have the program CDs for the programs I need to maintain on it.

Would like to transfer the whole 5Gb HDD folders to my newer Vista laptop but how can I do that as I have never done that before and if I did, would I just be transferring the problem and not solving it? Do I need a "Mirroring program" ? Which one etc etc etc.

What solutions are available to me???

Cheers all

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Floppy drive can be A: or B: , hangover from the old days when you had to copy floppies on a machine with one drive

1% of space free you need 10-15% free space because of the way windows is so poor at managing files , unlike almost every os on the planet it will fragment files rather than finding a nice contiguous space to put them in , and it don't leave gaps that could used later on

spacemonger - will allow you to see what is using all the space (or sequioa view or similar)

empty temp folders / empty internet cache do not delete anything unless you know what it is - otherwise it's game overr

check add/remove programs for junk that you no longer need , note you may need more than 50MB free before you can uninstall stuff

run scandiskin case it can free up broken file fragments too , might sort out that folder

you should be able to rename the folder F2 or perhaps it's a hidden folder - change the view in explorer - permissions won't be a problem with 98 unless something strange going on

Advertisement