Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General info needed and is lense filter possible?

• 04-01-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I have this camera: DMC-FZ38 (<- Link shows some filters... but not what I want?)
    DMC-FZ38-K_1WebA1001001A09G06A94222H41417.jpg

I would really like to mess around and get the water effects possible with ND filters; like this:
    diy-nd-filter.jpg

Any idea if the camera can take a filter? If so can I just go onto ebay and get any that fit the camera's lense diamater?

Also, In the picture above it has 30 seconds on the second image; does that mean that the camera is mounted on a tripod and the pic is taken for 30 sec? Because when I do that (which is probably wrong) the image comes up over exposed and very very whited out.

Any help would be great, thanks.

[edit]
    I found this ebay item to a 3 filter kit for the Lumix FZ-18 (which looks similar) - but no ND filter for a lumix...
    However I did find this ebay item which may fit?
    [/edit]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

That photos looks like it was taken at Multnomah falls in Oregon (US). I've been there a few times, and on a dull day, it can be very dark.

30 secs would require a tripod or a very stable surface. Certainly not hand held.

To me, that looks more like a green filter, rather than an ND filter. Maybe the extra green was added in PP.

I'm slightly surprised how defined the water is in the first image, with a 30 sec exposure.

No idea about filters for your camera though. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Yep - 30 seconds mounted on a tripod :) The reason you're getting white is because there's too much light getting in. So you need ND filters, and also to close the aperture of your camera (higher f number). Looks like that takes a 46mm filter? Shouldn't be a problem to get on Ebay :)

Edit - not sure where the green is coming from either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Paulw wrote: »
    That photos looks like it was taken at Multnomah falls in Oregon (US). I've been there a few times, and on a dull day, it can be very dark.

30 secs would require a tripod or a very stable surface. Certainly not hand held.

To me, that looks more like a green filter, rather than an ND filter. Maybe the extra green was added in PP.

I'm slightly surprised how defined the water is in the first image, with a 30 sec exposure.

No idea about filters for your camera though. Sorry.

The first image is at 1/30th and not 30 secs

I've no idea about buying filters for your camera but it should just be a cause of buying one to match the diameter of your lens. If all else fails you could buy a filter (probably designed for a cokin system or similar) and mount it like the below - ninga style :D

photoqa.jpg

I just the above to get this. 45 sec exposure
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/longshanks100/4233298233/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have looked at the Specs on the camera & I cannot work out what the thread size is, but they seem to have 46mm & 55mm filters listed.

To get the Milky Water effect you do need to have a long exposure, so you will require a way to hold the camera steady. This can be a Tripod, but there are other options as well (bean bags, clamps etc.) You then need to get the exposure right. This will normally mean setting the lowest ISO possible, then a long exposure time (from a couple of seconds up to a minute or so) The aperture will probably need to be shut down to the minimum (high f numbers) and there still may be too much light, which is where a Neutral Density Filter comes into the equation.

An ND2 filter will halve the light, so giving one Stop less exposure. An ND4 will quarter the light & so two Stops less light. An ND8 will be 1/8th of the light or three Stops less.

The first image is at 1/30th and not 30 secs

DOH!! Stupid me for not noticing that. That would certainly explain things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Interesting to see the sensitivity referred to as ASA, takes me back. Not heard of anyone quoting DIN for a while though.

After looking at those settings again, you may not need a filter at all.

1/30 f/4 ISO 100 for a frozen water shot.
    30 sec f/10 ISO 100 for dreamy water shot.

It will really depend on the amount of available light though. On a very dull day, those settings should give you similar to the picts.

I shot the following http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulwa/3580144306/
    20 sec, f/16 ISO 100, but I did use a polarising filter, since there was a strong glare from the sun. On a dull day, no filter would be needed at all.

Advertisement