Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with a dog in Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 04-01-2010 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi
    We will soon be looking for an apartment in or around Dublin city centre(considering Island bridge area also)! We have a small dog who is very quite and completely toilet trained! I am just wondering if any one knows of apartment blocks in Dublin that accept dogs or if anyone is in the same situation as us?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I helped my sister look for a rental house when she was moving back to Ireland with her 2 dogs and I have to say it was difficult. She was looking for a 3/4 bed house as apposed to an apartment but the choice was very limited. Most of the landlords didn't want to know or if they did they wanted 2 months rent as deposit and a the first months rent in advance so it was too expensive for her. Alot of the places were dumps too.

Also be aware that even if your landlord agrees (including confirming it in writing) to you having a dog, they can change their minds at no notice and demand you get rid of the dog or move out, and you have no come back, that was one scary thing I found out for my sis....

I'd suggest giving yourself plenty of time to apartment hunt cos it probably won't be easy! And have a back up plan if the landlord changes their mind.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd say in this climate they might be a little more interested... it's a renters market!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Also be aware that even if your landlord agrees (including confirming it in writing) to you having a dog, they can change their minds at no notice and demand you get rid of the dog or move out, and you have no come back, that was one scary thing I found out for my sis....
    Not really. If you have a lease and the lease doesn't specify that you are not permitted to have animals, then the landlord has no authority to suddenly add a term to your lease and insist that you get rid of the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The standard lease generally includes a clause that no animals are allowed. So you'd have to get that taken out for a start. I also looked up the Irish landlords website, and that's were it reckoned they didn't need to give notice to change their minds, even if they removed the clause about animals. So I wouldn't bank on them not being able to change terms of lease.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 McDonk

bonphoenix wrote: »
    Hi
    We will soon be looking for an apartment in or around Dublin city centre(considering Island bridge area also)! We have a small dog who is very quite and completely toilet trained! I am just wondering if any one knows of apartment blocks in Dublin that accept dogs or if anyone is in the same situation as us?
    Thanks

Hi, was wondering if you checked daft.ie? If you search lettings under advanced search it gives you an option to view any properties in Dublin that state pets allowed in their ads. There are currently 475 properties in the Dublin area where pets are allowed. Hope this helps!
    Katie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

McDonk wrote: »
    Hi, was wondering if you checked daft.ie? If you search lettings under advanced search it gives you an option to view any properties in Dublin that state pets allowed in their ads. There are currently 475 properties in the Dublin area where pets are allowed. Hope this helps!
    Katie

I'd highly recommend this method of house hunting. Whilst sometimes you can coerce landlords of properties to rent to you with pets, it's far easier to just search those that are up front about being pet friendly in the first place. It's less hassle all round, and moving is stressful enough without adding to it!

I've lived in Ireland for 3 years now, and moved 3 times :rolleyes: each time I've found rental via the pets allowed search on Daft!

Good luck with your search. :D

Advertisement