Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new zealand in three weeks?

• 04-01-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

hey all...

thinking of headin to NZ as a holiday destination this summer.... would three weeks be enough to see most of it?... i dont know very much about NZ but heard its beautiful..
    also what would i expect to pay for flights?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

jobless wrote: »
    . would three weeks be enough to see most of it?...

In short No. I spent 7 weeks there recently and saw a lot but not most of it.

With three weeks though you will definitely see the highlights if you take a few internal flights. Remember it's the same size as Britain but the same population as Ireland.
    Here's a few musts:
    Auckland, Rotorua, kiakoura, Christchurch and it's peninsula, Queenstown and it's adrenalin activities, Franz Josef Glacier, Milford and Doubtful Sound, Abel Tasman National Park, Ferry from North to South Island is spectacular, Cormorandel Coast, 90 mile beach.

I know I've missed loads but you can check out my blog if you want. Might see what tickle's your fancy!
    http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Wanderly-Wagon/Trips/3298

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I spent 8 weeks there and only saw about half of NZ! That's not to say you couldn't see lots of cool places and have a great holiday. I would recommend all of the places that Darren mentioned.

However, won't it be winter in NZ? Yes, you can go skiing etc but it's such an outdoorsy place that lots of stuff will be unavailable to you. Not to mention the fact that the roads would probably be in pretty bad condition, especially on the south island.

No idea how much flights would cost. Maybe it would be best to move this to the NZ forum?

I was there while it was winter and we did get snowed into a town for 3 days. When the snow decides to fall a good 50% of roads could get closed. Winter in the south island is beautiful though. Not that much rain but you will need thermal wear. North island can be wet but not as wet as it gets in Ireland.

darrenh wrote: »
    I was there while it was winter and we did get snowed into a town for 3 days. When the snow decides to fall a good 50% of roads could get closed. Winter in the south island is beautiful though. Not that much rain but you will need thermal wear. North island can be wet but not as wet as it gets in Ireland.

Ah well there you go! Road closures and getting snowed in is grand if you're just pottering around for two months but if you only have three weeks it could be a right pain in the ass. If 50% of the roads on the south island are closed that really doesn't leave you with a whole lot. Having said that, I'm sure it would be very beautiful at that time of year. Shame that most, if not all (?), tramps would be pretty much off limits to casual hikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

hi guys,

thanks for the replies.... looks like it might be a bad time of year to go then... what time of year would you recommend?..
    yeah i though i would probably be pushing it at three weeks.... but it from what ive heard its a place i would like to visit...

thanks again

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say its a bad time, as any time in NZ is beautiful. If you had three weeks and stuck to the South Island mainly you would see a lot. Anyway, its a cool story to say you were snowed in!

It wont rain that much either. Just cool, crisp air. If you could go another time of the year I would do that, but if you cant I still woudnt let the 'maybe' weather affect you.

Meh, just go anyway!

Advertisement