Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in water pipe, how to fix?

• 04-01-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Have a leak in an external water pipe. Pipe runs under the kitchen and into an outside shed where gas boiler and washing machine are.
    Pipe is only a couple of inches underground.
    Can see water coming up through crack in concrete about a foot away from the kitchen wall. Not much, but enough to make it look like theres a constant wet patch on the concrete surround. Area looks like its been patched with concrete in the last couple of years.
    What should I do?
    This a job for professionals?
    I presume I cant call the County Council as its in the back garden.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Someone is going to have to break the concrete, expose the pipe then assess how to fix it. If the pipe is only a couple inches underground, this could happen again next, month, and every winter thereafter. So a real fix would probably involve replacing the whole run of pipe with thick walled Polly and insulting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There is 2 things i would consider on this.

One, are you sure its not your heating pipe if you are then its not a major worry at the moment i imagine. I would did the pipe up when the weather improves better(about march) and bury it deaper, Try and make sure there is no jjoints for as long as possible, While you have it doug look at running any other exposed pipe work or cables with it. Of course bury the cables deaper incase you need to get access to the pipes again.

Advertisement