Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird of Prey being chased by Crows

Options
  • 04-01-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Down in Wexford over the festive season, whilst driving very very slowly in the prevailing conditions I noticed a large flock of Crows acting very aggitated .I then noticed a fairly large bird of Prey landing on a Telephone pole and then the flock of crows flew at the much larger bird and chased it away. Is this common enough, Crows can be alrge enough, but they appeared very small compared to this bird of Prey, predominately brown in colour. Any idea what it might have been ?

Secman
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This type mobbing behaviour is very common.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/watchingbirds/behaviour/mobbing.asp

Crows do it and I've seen Thrushes and Blackbirds do it in the breeding season.

The bird of prey in question was most lokely a Buzzard,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

secman wrote: »
    Down in Wexford over the festive season, whilst driving very very slowly in the prevailing conditions I noticed a large flock of Crows acting very aggitated .I then noticed a fairly large bird of Prey landing on a Telephone pole and then the flock of crows flew at the much larger bird and chased it away. Is this common enough, Crows can be alrge enough, but they appeared very small compared to this bird of Prey, predominately brown in colour. Any idea what it might have been ?

Secman
    you may be talking about the rook,it is a smaller crow who live in colonies at the top of trees, the larger crow lives in pairs and is known kill birds of prey in self defence,i have been lucky enough to see one attacked

getz wrote: »
    you may be talking about the rook,it is a smaller crow who live in colonies at the top of trees, the larger crow lives in pairs and is known kill birds of prey in self defence,i have been lucky enough to see one attacked

You have totally lost me there. By "larger Crow" do you mean a Raven or a Hooded Crow, or something else? The killing of bird of prey by Ravens or Hooded Crows is extremely rare. Could you please elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

You have totally lost me there. By "larger Crow" do you mean a Raven or a Hooded Crow, or something else? The killing of bird of prey by Ravens or Hooded Crows is extremely rare. Could you please elaborate.
    the crow i was talking about is called the carrion crow [corvus corone corone] i believe that it is now not as common in ireland,as they interbreed with the hooded crow,if ever you watch a bird of pray attack them they will spin round and both will drop down to the ground,the one i watched waited untill the hawk died the pecked the flesh from it .

The Hooded Crow (Corvus cornix) is a Sub Species. Carrion Crow is certainly not as common here - we don't have them at all.

No such bird of prey killing activity among our Hooded Crows. Of course it will have happened at some point but it's not normal behaviour and certainly not what the OP observered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thought I read lately that the hooded crow was now a species (if that's the right word) in itself, within the corvid family. Can't remember where I saw that, but it was in the past few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

johngalway wrote: »
    Thought I read lately that the hooded crow was now a species (if that's the right word) in itself, within the corvid family. Can't remember where I saw that, but it was in the past few months.

Yea read that myself johngalway. It was thought there were the one but now its realised they are 2 different species

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Getting back on-topic - I witnessed something very similar in Donabate last spring. 5 or 6 crows "herded" (for want of a better term) a buzzard towards a much larger flock of crows some 150m away. When the buzzard came near the larger flock there was almighty mayhem with crows darting around the buzzard. However, at no time did the crows appear to come into physical contact with it.

I don't know how this finished up as after around 10 minutes they all drifted out of sight beyond some trees.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Getting back on-topic - I witnessed something very similar in Donabate last spring. 5 or 6 crows "herded" (for want of a better term) a buzzard towards a much larger flock of crows some 150m away. When the buzzard came near the larger flock there was almighty mayhem with crows darting around the buzzard. However, at no time did the crows appear to come into physical contact with it.

I don't know how this finished up as after around 10 minutes they all drifted out of sight beyond some trees.

It usually finishes up with either the Buzzard perching and ignoring the Crows until they drift away or the Buzzard flies off and the Crows give up the chase.

Advertisement