Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rules of Road and Test Prep?

• 04-01-2010 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

Another question guys - when preparing for the test should you read through the whole Rules of the Road book or is there a rough list of questions you can be asked? I have the info on the technical checks so just wondering about the general questions...

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

celestial wrote: »
    Another question guys - when preparing for the test should you read through the whole Rules of the Road book or is there a rough list of questions you can be asked? I have the info on the technical checks so just wondering about the general questions...

Thanks for your help

You should read and understand the whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Don't learn to drive just to pass a driving test!

(When you applied for your Learner Permit, you would have had to sign section 28 stating that you have a satisfactory knowledge of the Rules of the Road. ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Aye, I do have a good knowledge already - just wondering if there is a handy list of questions out there somewhere...to which I guess the answer is no.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you do a search you might get a thread as it has been covered many times.

The classic ones are

When is it ok to overtake on the left
    When do you used dipped headlights
    What does an amber light mean
    What should you do when blinded by oncoming headlights
    When may one use foglights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Hi Celestial,
    Below is a link for the road signs you'll be asked.... they will be from that page. Clearway, Pedestrianised zone & the Hospital sign are popular!

http://www.erneschoolofmotoring.com/roadsigns.html

The site also has a driving test questions page which is worth reading through.
    A couple of other popular questions you can be asked are:

How do you recognise a zebra crossing at night?
    What are the rules of the yellow box junction?
    Speed limits for all roads (motorway, national & regional)
    Who do you give way to at a roundabout? (The book just says traffic on the roundabout but they also want to hear you say traffic on your right)

If your test is soon then I would also read up on questions relating to the weather we're having...like black ice, skidding etc.
    :):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

greenie wrote: »
    Hi Celestial,
    Below is a link for the road signs you'll be asked.... they will be from that page. Clearway, Pedestrianised zone & the Hospital sign are popular!

http://www.erneschoolofmotoring.com/roadsigns.html

The site also has a driving test questions page which is worth reading through.
    A couple of other popular questions you can be asked are:

How do you recognise a zebra crossing at night?
    What are the rules of the yellow box junction?
    Speed limits for all roads (motorway, national & regional)
    Who do you give way to at a roundabout? (The book just says traffic on the roundabout but they also want to hear you say traffic on your right)

If your test is soon then I would also read up on questions relating to the weather we're having...like black ice, skidding etc.
    :):)

Wow, you're an absolute legend. Thanks!!

My test is two weeks from now, and hmm I'm prob not massively comfortable on the road. Maybe I should just do it anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

If you do a search you might get a thread as it has been covered many times.

The classic ones are

When is it ok to overtake on the left
    When do you used dipped headlights
    What does an amber light mean
    What should you do when blinded by oncoming headlights
    When may one use foglights

Oh my god, thoseare the exact questions he asked me in the test the other day,in that order! Also road markings on a one way street, which wasnt a question on the list i was given :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭driverite

They must ask you at least one question on the following topics

1) Right of Way
    2) Traffic Lights
    3) Pedestrian Crossings
    4) Road Markings
    5) lights..ie When must you use your dipped head lights?

And then another question from any topic on the rules of the road....

Just a tip they have been asking about the 2 second rule a lot lately.

6 rules of the road questions, 12 signs questions, 3 technical, 3 in car questions, 5 hand signals...........you can get every question wrong and still pass your test. So dont be too worried about the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

driverite wrote: »
    They must ask you at least one question on the following topics

1) Right of Way
    2) Traffic Lights
    3) Pedestrian Crossings
    4) Road Markings
    5) lights..ie When must you use your dipped head lights?

And then another question from any topic on the rules of the road....

Just a tip they have been asking about the 2 second rule a lot lately.

6 rules of the road questions, 12 signs questions, 3 technical, 3 in car questions, 5 hand signals...........you can get every question wrong and still pass your test. So dont be too worried about the questions.

Can you really pass if you didnt answer anything right??
    Also whats the 2 second rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭driverite

Its pick a point on the road, And let the car in front of you to pass it, and you should be at least 2 seconds behind passing the same point. You double it for wet conditions.

Its included in Edition 4 of the theory test.

If You get 3 questions wrong for Rules of the road and signs thats 1 mark.(blue mark)

If you get 3 wrong for technical checks thats 1 mark (blue mark)

If you get 3 hand signals wrong 1 mark(blue mark)

If you get 3 wrong for secondary controls 1mark (blue mark).

That leaves you with 4 blues and 8 blue you pass, 9 you fail.

Now before anyone begins to moralise, im not suggesting that people dont cover All the Rules of the Road, Of course they should. Only an idiot would want to start the driving part of his test with 4 marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

mariaf24 wrote: »
    Oh my god, thoseare the exact questions he asked me in the test the other day,in that order! Also road markings on a one way street, which wasnt a question on the list i was given :mad:

Ha I got the dipped headlights one and the amber light one yesterday! I take it by your angry emoticon you didn't get it this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Ha I got the dipped headlights one and the amber light one yesterday! I take it by your angry emoticon you didn't get it this time?

I did, i passed :D:D
    It's just that i had bought a book called driving test 'Get it' (i think this is the name of it) and i wasn't covered for quite a few of the questions he asked! I was sure the pages in it were all i needed to know but obvioulsy not. Ah well i got it anyway!
    Did you? It was my second time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

mariaf24 wrote: »
    I did, i passed :D:D
    It's just that i had bought a book called driving test 'Get it' (i think this is the name of it) and i wasn't covered for quite a few of the questions he asked! I was sure the pages in it were all i needed to know but obvioulsy not. Ah well i got it anyway!
    Did you? It was my second time. :)

Nah I didn't, have only been driving properly since January, the big freeze put practice on hold and the test was actually the first time I was ever in a car out on main roads on 'my own' ever! As in not with an instructor or a family member! I actually enjoyed the experience - saw it more of a test run than anything else, finally to say I did the test after all these years! Going to reapply this week.

Advertisement