Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing to go out beyond 1 o'clock for

Options
  • 04-01-2010 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Since I left Galway a few years back I was completely unaware of where to go out anymore and I found it difficult to choose a location for St. Stephen’s night. We weren’t keen on the thought of Roisin’s as it’s usually packed and getting to and from the smoking area is a push-and-shove game that gets tiresome. Ended up in Karma….. what the..?
    When did that place become riddled with scumbags. I was never a regular before but I do remember on the odd occasion I went there it seemed to pull an ok crowd. I put my jacket in the cloakroom and walked through. By the time I made one lap of the place I could feel a tense atmosphere. Little scumbags in hoodies, and pseudo-scumbags from Knocknacara (generalisation I know but you see my point) were looking around as if something or someone was going to go down. If you weren't dressed in a t-shirt or hoodie you looked like a kicking was due.
    I left straight away as I was in no mood to buy expensive drink (a jab at the country in general) on a **** night in the company of knick-knacks.
    I fear the next time I go home Halo is the only option [shudder].
    Wasn’t surprised to hear about the random acts of violence breaking out in Galway over the holidays given the atmosphere in the place.
    Galway has great pubs but I'm glad to be back in the UK - Cheap Booze, open til 5am and the sense that anything goes!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

What on earth came over you that you decided to go to Karma??

And Karma/The Alley has always been rubbish so justifying going there by you've been away for a few years just won't cut it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

EJLL wrote: »
    Galway has great pubs but I'm glad to be back in the UK - Cheap Booze, open til 5am and the sense that anything goes!!

Even self-loathing.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

What on earth came over you that you decided to go to Karma??

And Karma/The Alley has always been rubbish so justifying going there by you've been away for a few years just won't cut it..

The Alley was great fun for the first 3 years of college. Used to have hilarious nights there. Good times!

Didn't go to Karma all that much, but I do recall when it first opened it was very strict on dress code. I think Halo probably just ended up stealing it's notions. Then again I've only been to Halo twice and that was around the time it opened so I wouldn't be surprised if that's changed completely also.

I presumed Karma would have settled with a balanced crowd. It's hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I thought Karma was good about 3 years ago for a while...It quickly changed again. I think its when it started to try and cater to Hardcore dance crowds with guest DJ's and the like...not a fan of it now myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

So you come onto the Galway city forum to complain about Galway city.
    http://assets.knowyourmeme.com/i/6552/original/facepalm1ve4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

rarnes1 wrote: »

That's what it's for. It's for discussing all things Galway.

kraggy wrote: »
    That's what it's for. It's for discussing all things Galway.

Well yes and no, it's not for making the natives restless with tales of splendour from 'the UK' when compared to little old Galway.

One can only presume the OP is not out till 5am whilst dodging all the going anythings in somewhere like Scunthorpe, of a similar size to Galway.

That being said, the place for bragging about how good life is outside of Galway City, is almost certainly outside of the Galway City forum, hence my helpful link to www.boards.org.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Well yes and no, it's not for making the natives restless with tales of splendour from 'the UK' when compared to little old Galway.

One can only presume the OP is not out till 5am whilst dodging all the going anythings in somewhere like Scunthorpe, of a similar size to Galway.

That being said, the place for bragging about how good life is outside of Galway City, is almost certainly outside of the Galway City forum, hence my helpful link to www.boards.org.uk

Can we knock Galway if we live here?...if so why are all the children here so ugly nowadays!?

rarnes1 wrote: »

The face-palm imagery is overused on boards. It's witty sometimes but based on the logic of your response, you should probably waste your time plonking it on every post in this forum if you feel a Galway city topic has no relevance in the "Galway City" forum.

You clearly don't have the wit to use the power of face-plam :p. So refrain.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Can we knock Galway if we live here?...if so why are all the children here so ugly nowadays!?

So long as you don't do so while stating, for instance, that the children are not so ugly in Dublin. Though one would imagine such an interest in the physical attractiveness of children to be at the very least, shall we say, unhealthy...

This thread is heading the way of the lock very soon I fear.

/moderation

I wasn't bragging. Galway is far superior to most UK cities in most other aspects. And your right it's not fair to compare based on population.

Thanks for the link though. Although boards.org.uk doesn't seem as active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

So long as you don't do so while stating, for instance, that the children are not so ugly in Dublin. Though one would imagine such an interest in the physical attractiveness of children to be at the very least, shall we say, unhealthy...

/moderation

I feel the jist of the op's post was "Jeez, what the hell happened Karma?!"

People on this forum bring up all sorts of random stuff. I think people are being unfair to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What can I tell ya like - it's not the same as it used to. For better and for worse.
    Yes more violence, just like GB and EU in general. Still Ireland, and particularly Galway, are quite safe considering size and number of people passing through and drinking here.

Galway is the Irish Brighton :)

Edit, or maybe Bognor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

/moderation

Sure everyone knows the Dublin Children are more ugly.

As for Karma hasn't it always been a bit of a hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJRocket

Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt there a 'school reunion' in karma on stevens night? We thought it would be full of country folk :p so for we decided to avoid it and try Halo. It was dead in there no atmosphere at all but by the sounds of it karma was not much better!
    Theres not much clubbin choice in Galway, and now we cant even get a proper taco fries afterwards. sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Is that not every single school in galway city and county? Bit of a lame attempt to get people in to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Is that not every single school in galway city and county? Bit of a lame attempt to get people in to the club.

Yep. And they couldnt even spell correctly. They called the Jes the 'Jezz'. (unless the priests got cool in the last 30 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Heh, I didn't know that was happening on Stephens night. I was in the Skeff for a while (having left the bish only a few years ago) and didn't see a single person from my school there! Cuba's the only place to go these days, it still gets huge crowds most big nights and is always free with a cuba card..

Advertisement