Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

british bull dog wanted

Options
  • 04-01-2010 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

My son and are looking for a british bull dog pup but heres the catch.....I dont have a big pile to buy one so if any one knows a breader who i can takl to i would love it , I can guarente a great home and well looked after

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

you could try the welfare groups

www.irishanimals.ie for one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

They don't come up in rescue very often at all.

You really shouldn't try to get a cheap pup. They have a number of health issues and a poorly bred pup will end up costing you an absolute fortune. Insurance is a must of you plan on getting one of these dogs.

The receptionist at my vets has 2 and they are adorable but they're in and out of the vets for various things all the time!

keep an eye out on the rescue sites though - found this one, bit out of date though

http://www.adoos.ie/post/3001510/rescue_3_english_bulldog_puppies

That doesn't look like a rescue ad to me, it's on a for sale site. No good rescue would advertise pups as registered.

Toulouse wrote: »
    That doesn't look like a rescue ad to me. No good rescue would advertise pups as registered.

out of interest - why not - if the owner handed them over already registered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

brookie wrote: »
    Hi,

My son and are looking for a british bull dog pup but heres the catch.....I dont have a big pile to buy one so if any one knows a breader who i can takl to i would love it , I can guarente a great home and well looked after

Cheers
    lovely dogs i have a lovely male, the breed is called english bulldog ,they are very costly because of the cost of breeding them,the bitches have problems giving birth and also reject their puppies early,so many have to be hand fed, if you live in the UK you could have got into contact with the show breeders,and tell them you are not looking for a show dog,and dont intend the breed it,often they are willing to let [the one not up to show standard] go cheap ,best of luck

Paul91 wrote: »
    out of interest - wby not - if the owner handed them over already registered?

Because rescues wouldn't allow these pups to be bred from. No reputable rescue hands over papers with pups so why would they mention they were registered?

That site is not a rescue site and that section is a for sale section. To be honest it looks like a scam to me.

Because rescues wouldn't allow these pups to be bred from. No reputable rescue hands over papers with pups so why would they mention they were registered?

That site is not a rescue site and that section is a for sale section. To be honest it looks like a scam to me.

it's an old add anyway - FYI the CSPCA handed over a pregnant obviously un-neutered German Shepherd to me (without letting me know she was pregnant)

sorry don't understand why a rescue wouldn't hand over papers for a dog if it was already registered. they can hand over the papers with a neutered animal can they not?

there are english bulldog resque organizations within the UK and ireland,get in contact with them,they will come round to your house and check with you if they get one,but you must reg with them,

getz wrote: »
    lovely dogs i have a lovely male, the breed is called english bulldog ,they are very costly because of the cost of breeding them,the bitches have problems giving birth and also reject their puppies early,so many have to be hand fed, if you live in the UK you could have got into contact with the show breeders,and tell them you are not looking for a show dog,and dont intend the breed it,often they are willing to let [the one not up to show standard] go cheap ,best of luck

i think they can be called "English Bulldog" but mainly known as "British Bulldog" - found this quite interesting

http://www.crufts.org.uk/interact/blogs/all-change-british-bulldog-breed-standard
    'The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go.' ~ Winston Churchill

Most of you will have recently heard the news that it’s the end of an era for the iconic British Bulldog; but happily the start of a brand new much healthier one.
    The Kennel Club has radically changed the Bulldog’s breed standards as part of their continuing commitment to the future health and welfare of all dogs.
    Improvements include a smaller head, less facial skin-folds, longer legs and a leaner body.
    In time these changes will deliver less classic breed-specific problems such as difficulties in the animals’ breathing coupled with exercise and heat tolerance, which are all directly affected by an elongated soft palate, narrowed nostrils and a flattened face.
    The greatest change however will simply be the reduced number of caesarian sections required to actually bring them into the world.
    With their new slim-line design featuring shrunken head, fewer bitches will require general anaesthetic accompanied by some major abdominal surgery - just to deliver them.
    Sadly this practice is still common with Belgian Blue cattle - they are just too big to be born naturally and as a result one cow can have up to nine caesarians in her lifetime, usually all just a year apart and one after the other.
    Many other popular breeds, like the German Shepherd and Bloodhound are also due exciting new re-vamps.
    It’s all change in the pedigree dog world, and if Obama, the States and our human world is anything to go by, change can only mean good news for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

No reputable rescue hands over papers with pups so why would they mention they were registered?

Why would a rescue not give the new owner the dog's papers, if they had them in their possession? And if they don't hand them over when the dog is rehomed, what do they do with the papers?

I'm not trying to start an argument or attack you or rescue policy, I'm just curious.

convert wrote: »
    Why would a rescue not give the new owner the dog's papers, if they had them in their possession? And if they don't hand them over when the dog is rehomed, what do they do with the papers?

I'm not trying to start an argument or attack you or rescue policy, I'm just curious.

same here to be honest - mind you curiousity did bad things to the cat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

No reputable rescue hands over papers with pups so why would they mention they were registered?
    In my experience if a dog comes with papers, it is neutered, but the papers go with the dog. Of course you are talking about pups which is different as they wont be neutered so young and a risk of breeding is there.

It's a pity though that there is not some way around it. I know a lot of breed obsessed people who basicially turn their noses up at rescue dogs because they don't have papers. I'd imagine they would be more inclined to rescue if their dog came with "proof" of its breeding.

The last thing good rescues want to do is encourage breeding. I think rehoming pups with their papers if they have any is a bad idea which is why a rescue would never describe a pup as registered.

If it was a neutered dog then I don't see why a copy couldn't go with the dog but again I doubt they'd be described as registered.

Paul91, I don't think many would class the place you got your dog from as reputable and I'm talking about reputable rescues. You did a great job with her and the pups, well above and beyond the call I think.

Anyway, this has gone completely off topic. OP I hope you get the dog you're looking for. As I said, they are adorable but do be very very careful and do your research before you get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Paul91, I don't think many would class the place you got your dog from as reputable and I'm talking about reputable rescues. You did a great job with her and the pups, well above and beyond the call I think.
    +1

Paul91 wrote: »
    i think they can be called "English Bulldog" but mainly known as "British Bulldog" - found this quite interesting

http://www.crufts.org.uk/interact/blogs/all-change-british-bulldog-breed-standard
    as much as that link says,the breed is calld the english bulldog,it was mr churchill who coined british bulldog,when i walk him over in ireland people come over to me and think it is called the churchill dog,[check out my photoes on my profile]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

TheIrishGrover please post helpful posts next time
    People if you don't mind keeping on topic.
    And please don't link to ads - they're not allowed.

OP as has been said getting pure bred dogs 'cheaply' is usually a very bad idea. Unless it's a genuine case of accidental pregnancy and someone wants to give them away minus papers or something, but that's fairly rare.
    Take a look in your local rescue centres / SPCAs etc / other places mentioned and there might be a mix of the dog you want or you might find a bulldog even.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The last thing good rescues want to do is encourage breeding. I think rehoming pups with their papers if they have any is a bad idea which is why a rescue would never describe a pup as registered.

If it was a neutered dog then I don't see why a copy couldn't go with the dog but again I doubt they'd be described as registered.

Does that mean that it's rescue policy to only provide the owners with papers if the dog is neutered? And does that mean that the papers are witheld if it's a puppy that isn't neutered? Would the papers be given to the new owners once the pup is neutered or would the rescue keep them? Is the policy laid down in stone or does it vary from rescue to rescue?

Again, I'm just curious, not trying to pick holes/arguments.

Edit: Just saw your post after I'd posted ... Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

i would imagine the reason papers aint gave out even in a rescued nueretered dog is that maybe, the rescue org might be afrad that the papers could then be used for a dif dog

i would imagine the reason papers aint gave out even in a rescued nueretered dog is that maybe, the rescue org might be afrad that the papers could then be used for a dif dog

hmmm good thinking Batman :D is that partly the reason they microchip registered dogs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 brookie

Yea, so know one knows were i can get a english bull dog then???
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Try contacting these and see if they can point you in the right direction.

All Ireland Bull Breeds Assoc.
    Mrs. C. Muldoon
    Hollywood Co. Wicklow.
    (045-864888)

Bulldog Club of Ireland
    Ms. J. Collie
    Lowerrock, Thornford, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan.
    (042-9743745)

Advertisement