Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i pay my debt

Options
  • 04-01-2010 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

i owe contractor money for a job he did. but he over charged me and didn't come back to fix part of the job so i never paid him.

He is threatening me with legal action should i go to court or just pay it .... Do the courts always side against debtors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

i owe contractor money for a job he did. but he over charged me and didn't come back to fix part of the job so i never paid him.

He is threatening me with legal action should i go to court or just pay it .... Do the courts always side against debtors

Theres not a hope in hell anyone here could answer that question, without knowing the full details and even at that they still couldn't give you a correct answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

What do you mean by over charged you ?

Have you paid any money ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

He overcharged you in that there had been a price agreed, and for no reason they upped the price? If so, they'll not follow through on the legal action and just trying to scare you.

Of course, this is an internet forum, not the best place for advice. What I posted above could very well be wrong, and probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Every situation would be different.

Have you any documentation or correspondence on the non-completion of the work?

Is he overcharging on his original estimate? On what basis did he take on the work?

There are a lot of details missing from your post which would make it impossible to comment...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He didn't overcharge if you agreed to the price.
    As for the fixes - were these part of the quoted specification?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bigdirtywheels

No I have not paid any money yet

He is charging me 4,500 but the rate from two other contractors for the same job was in the region of 3,000

I offered to pay the contractor the cheaper amount and he refused.

If i go to court what is the possible out come i.e could it happen that i don't have to pay him anything.... does that ever happen in civil proceedings?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Then you owe him 4,500.

Pay most of it , holding the last €1000 until he finishes the work.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did you originally agree to pay the €4,500?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

No I have not paid any money yet

He is charging me 4,500 but the rate from two other contractors for the same job was in the region of 3,000

I offered to pay the contractor the cheaper amount and he refused.

If i go to court what is the possible out come i.e could it happen that i don't have to pay him anything.... does that ever happen in civil proceedings?

Why didn't you go with either of the two lower quotes you were offered?
    If you agreed to pay 4,500 and subsequently found out that you could have got it done for 3,000, then it's your own fault.
    You can't agree to pay 4,500 and then decide you're going to only pay 3,000 after the work has been done.

Although you can withold part of what you owe him until he fixes whatever he's supposed to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

This falls way outside the remit of this forum.

OP - seek professional advice, not from the internet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement