Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Live disconnects when phone rings

• 04-01-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭

I am using a wireless adapter and have a 7mb eircom router, whenever the phone rings and someone answers I get disconnected!! It gets very annoying when playing FIFA, Does anyone know what i could do to fix this problem. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 RawShark

I saw this recently in someone's house. They had the "phone" and "dsl" lines the wrong way around in the eircom dsl filter thingy. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Either the filters are on wrong , or there is an unfiltered device (phone,fax,answer machine , caller id).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

If it's a wireless handset it could be interfering with the wireless signal of the router. So if the DSL splitter isn't the problem try changing the wireless channel on the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

RawShark wrote: »
    I saw this recently in someone's house. They had the "phone" and "dsl" lines the wrong way around in the eircom dsl filter thingy. Hope this helps.

I checked that there but they are in the right way. Thanks anyway!

NothingMan wrote: »
    If it's a wireless handset it could be interfering with the wireless signal of the router. So if the DSL splitter isn't the problem try changing the wireless channel on the router.

Agreed, changing wireless signal is always worth trying - but not sure it is the problem in this case. Have Eircom check the line for problems, and try a different wireless router if still using the default Eirocm yoke. Plus, what about being wired straight to router rather than wireless? Is this possible to test?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Could be just a faulty filter, when you are on the phone and using the net/xbox is the sound a bit dodgey on the phone or a bit less clear. Try plug out the dsl line in the filter and see if the phone sounds any diff. If it does then the filter is probably dodgey and needs replacing.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Either the filters are on wrong , or there is an unfiltered device (phone,fax,answer machine , caller id).

All the devices are filtered. Thanks anyway.

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    All the devices are filtered. Thanks anyway.

Have many devices on the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

This used to happen to me. drove me crazy, I was using Eircom - the wireless phone was doing it I think but I also got the filters changed; either way one of the two fixed it!

Axwell wrote: »
    Could be just a faulty filter, when you are on the phone and using the net/xbox is the sound a bit dodgey on the phone or a bit less clear. Try plug out the dsl line in the filter and see if the phone sounds any diff. If it does then the filter is probably dodgey and needs replacing.

That happens on the phone upstairs, should there be a filter on the connection upstairs even if the modem is downstairs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

That happens on the phone upstairs, should there be a filter on the connection upstairs even if the modem is downstairs
    There should be a splitter on the junction with the Modem and a filter on ALL other phones.

Have many devices on the line?

There is just the 2 phones downstairs, there is a phone upstairs aswell but i don't know if it is connected to the main connection, when the modem is on the phone upstairs sounds fuzzy.

There is just the 2 phones downstairs, there is a phone upstairs aswell but i don't know if it is connected to the main connection, when the modem is on the phone upstairs sounds fuzzy.

You will need to check out how that is connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Exact same problem happens with me on the ps3.

I'm pretty sure it was the handset that caused my issue If memory serves me then I changed the filters first to no effect.

I changed all the filters so i will just have to wait and see

After changing all the filters i played a game and rang the house phone and got my mother to answer it and i am glad to say it works! Thanks everyone for their quick replys!!

Glad to help!

I have the same problem so what do i do go out and buy a filter?

cool glad you got it fixed!

• Advertisement

Redzer7 wrote: »
    I have the same problem so what do i do go out and buy a filter?

Just make sure there is filters on all your phones, If you are with eircom here is a number than it says you can ring if you need additional filters

1800 503 303

I'm not sure if they still do it though as the instructions in which it gives the phone number is from 2007, I can't imagine filters would be too expensive anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just make sure there is filters on all your phones, If you are with eircom here is a number than it says you can ring if you need additional filters

1800 503 303

I'm not sure if they still do it though as the instructions in which it gives the phone number is from 2007, I can't imagine filters would be too expensive anyway.

Cheers, I have the same problem and have been meaning to order filters for ages. Especially annoying when streaming a video on the PC, lots of refreshing and waiting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

+1 This is the reason

used to happen to customers all the time when i worked for an ISP

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Happens in my mothers, internet connection drops when the phone is answered!

Does anyone know if you can get the extra filters off eircom? I sure as hell don't want to be paying for any!!

Just give them a call - the send them out to you within a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Mr Moon wrote: »
    Happens in my mothers, internet connection drops when the phone is answered!

Does anyone know if you can get the extra filters off eircom? I sure as hell don't want to be paying for any!!

Yeah you can get them off Eircom but will take a few days...AFAIK they are only about e1 in maplins if you wanted to get it sorted quicker...

Forgot to post the other day but I contacted Eircom the other day and asked them can i have an extra filter they said yes and posted it out to me within 3 days :eek:
    Happy Days :) No more problems when the phone rings :D.

Advertisement