Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Music Reviewed

Options
  • 04-01-2010 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi just wondering does anyone have any info on how to get music reviewed in magazines and online.
    We have recently recorded an EP and have had it professionally mastered, duplicated and packaged. We have also had some local radio play and overall very positive reaction.
    We want to use this EP as a promotional tool mainly to gain a bit of a following and to land support gigs with decent bands in our genre. Looking for some ideas on how we get the EP reviewed.

Whats the industry standard for submitting music for review? I mean if we just post our CD to Hotpress or Classic Rock thats hardly gonna do much good!
    Do we post a physical CD or email the songs?
    Do CD's have to be solicited before getting reviewed?
    Do we send the CD to smaller magazines first? What smaller magazines?
    Should we email first asking if they will review to EP?
    What should be included with the CD? Press Kit? Bio? Photos?
    Is it better to prentend the CD is coming from an indie label or management company?
    Is it ok just to send a link to our MySpace?

If anyone has any info on the kind of questions above that would be great.
    It would be great to hear from someone who had had their music reviewed and from someone in the press involved with this kind of thing!

Peace

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

Its a difficult one alright.
    You could use a pr company but Im guessing for the time being you guys are just trying to make things happen yourself.
    If I was sending out songs to try get reviews I would send a properly packaged cd (with track listings) and a short bio as apposed to a myspace link.

In terms of finding out who to address the cd's to its about doing the detective work online and probably the hotpress year book as well.
    In terms of magazines Hotpress does a section on new bands/demos so get a copy of the mag and find out who it needs to be addressed to.
    Theres also connected magazine.
    There are several radio shows on regional stations who play up and coming Irish bands so check them out, heres three of the most well known:

http://www.myspace.com/kinkyjacques
    www.myspace.com/irishbeatsonline
    http://www.myspace.com/roddycleere

Dont forget online bloggers, a lot of people swear by them for helping to get a buzz going around a band (again a lot of detective work involved in this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

I'd wager that online bloggers like nialler9 are more important than the average printed magazine. I'd suggest go look for mp3 blogs, read them, get to know which fit your style of music, drop them an email and offer to either send them a cd or a download link.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Hey a good start would be sound on sound mag they do reviews, they will review the recording / mix 1st but also give your EP a good run down on the song content too....

Worth a try...

www.soundonsound.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 studiojunkie

nice one lads! keep 'em coming, all suggestions are useful!
    While we're at it any suggestions on how best to get support gigs with the bigger bands in the genre from the US or the UK when they come to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lfcrush9lfc

mite i ask can we invent a name for hardcore rave cuz its just rubbish snd u cant call it rave :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

This is a great thread. It will be very helpful for all involved. I suggest picking up the hotpress year book and reading it and you will get to know everyone who is everyone in the industry and you will find out where to send it and who to send it too

Advertisement