Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on what phone to get please..

• 04-01-2010 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Background, am on O2 bill pay (O2 Clear 350), normally costs about €180 a month. Need phone for calls (UK a lot), texting and like photos. Use a lot on the run, ie in car, so bluetooth / good speakers important. Don't use much more, but would like to get my email on it. Have small business, self employed, 40yo, so not a real techie....internet access for news etc would be nice.
    Currently have a Nokia E51, but it's run it's course.
    Went to O2, told them i want one with touch screen.
    They offered;
    Palm Pre - free
    Nokia 5530 - €69
    Samsung i5700 Galaxy Spica - €149
    iPhone - €129

am not contracted to O2, but I guess if I accept one of above upgrades will be. This not a problem, but would like advice on which to pick, or would i get a better deal with another provider ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

ghosttown wrote: »
    Background, am on O2 bill pay (O2 Clear 350), normally costs about €180 a month. Need phone for calls (UK a lot), texting and like photos. Use a lot on the run, ie in car, so bluetooth / good speakers important. Don't use much more, but would like to get my email on it. Have small business, self employed, 40yo, so not a real techie....internet access for news etc would be nice.
    Currently have a Nokia E51, but it's run it's course.
    Went to O2, told them i want one with touch screen.
    They offered;
    Palm Pre - free
    Nokia 5530 - €69
    Samsung i5700 Galaxy Spica - €149
    iPhone - €129

am not contracted to O2, but I guess if I accept one of above upgrades will be. This not a problem, but would like advice on which to pick, or would i get a better deal with another provider ? Thanks

Palm Pre - Heard lots of battery problem
    Nokia 5530 - Web browser is not great, unless you have opera mini
    Samsung i5700 Galaxy Spica - Not really
    iPhone -Iphone ticks all the bar apart from the Bluetooth thing.

and has dedicated mail client and news app. so prob i will go for iphone.
    you could save same money on texting by using your webtext , eirtext, jellysms ( Iphone) or Cabbage on ( Nokia)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Try looking at 3. They allow you to use 50% of your monthly allowance to call UK mobiles and landlines and when you are in the UK once your connected to 3UK there are no roaming charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Thanks for responses. Looks like I'm going for the iPhone. but there's a €80 difference between the 8gb and the 16gb. Does the 16gb justify it ? And another (perhaps stupid !)question - as it has 'great' web access - does this mean I can use skype to call frequently used numbers in UK - will it be cheaper than mobile to mobile ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

ghosttown wrote: »
    Thanks for responses. Looks like I'm going for the iPhone. but there's a €80 difference between the 8gb and the 16gb. Does the 16gb justify it ? And another (perhaps stupid !)question - as it has 'great' web access - does this mean I can use skype to call frequently used numbers in UK - will it be cheaper than mobile to mobile ?

8gb is just double the storage which you can use for songs etc, it's your personal choice.
    Iphone has Skype app to make calls but you will need internet to use it or Wi-fi at home if you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭LittleLebowski

Nokia 5800 is a cheaper alternative to the iphone. It can do most of what the iphone can and a few extra thing. I just got one and Im loving it. Just a suggestion if money is an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement