Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will my Civic pass the NCT with Bucket seats?

• 04-01-2010 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi I was wondering would anyone be able to tell me if my car will pass the NCT with bucket seats as I'm trying to get it ready for the test but am unsure if I will have to put the standard seats back in for it to pass. The bucket seats I have in at the moment are reclinable and are fitted with 3 point harnesses? If anyone knows anything about this any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Can you adjust them backwards and forwards easily ?
    Are they on sliding or fixed subframes ?

If they don't slide then you fail the NCT. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 XxCivicxX

v300 wrote: »
    Can you adjust them backwards and forwards easily ?
    Are they on sliding or fixed subframes ?

If they don't slide then you fail the NCT. :eek:

Hi thanks for the reply, yes they are on sliding subframes and can be adjusted backwards or forwards by a lever on the side of the seats?
    Hopefully they are okay because I don't have the original seats as when I bought the car the bucket seats were already fitted and don't really fancy having to pay for original seats when there only going to be in for the NCT as I want to keep the bucket seats?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just an aside did you disclose these to your insurer? Some co's wouldn't be too happy with bucket seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

as long as there properly fitted, are safe and secure and do all they need to do such as recline and slide and you have the standard seat belt you'll be fine

draffodx wrote: »
    as long as there properly fitted, are safe and secure and do all they need to do such as recline and slide and you have the standard seat belt you'll be fine

Oh well that could be a problem as the original seat belts have been removed and theres only the harness's there?
    Do you think I'd have to get the originals put back in?

• Advertisement

Just an aside did you disclose these to your insurer? Some co's wouldn't be too happy with bucket seats.

Um no i actually didn't tell the insurers that I have buckets seats, suppose I should have but I was pushing it to get insured as I'm still on a provisional licence!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

XxCivicxX wrote: »
    Oh well that could be a problem as the original seat belts have been removed and theres only the harness's there?

Where is the harness secured?

Where is the harness secured?

The harness's are secured to a metal bar in the boot, I'm pretty sure it was a professional job but as I said the seats were installed before I got the car, the seats are very secure though, they go through the back seats and into the boot??

Can someone sit in the back seats then? If its obstructing it might cause a problem.

My sister put bucket seats in but the seat belts etc are standard and she had no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I can't imagine them not paying out for having bucket seats.

Bucket seats are safer aren't they?
    They provide better support and in the event of a crash stop the drivers/passengers body from moving around as much.

I do understand what you mean about "modification" but seats is plain ridiculous.

OP
    I don't think your car will pass if it does not have the proper seat belts installed.

Run it through the test and see what it fails on. if they don't like the seats then just put the standard ones back in.

• Advertisement

Do you mean racing harness's that are secured to somewhere behind the seat instead of a normal seat belt set up? If so then yes, its illegal not to have a normal seatbelt setup in a road going car

Also just thinking....has the car done an NCT before and if so was this set-up present at the time?

Do you mean racing harness's that are secured to somewhere behind the seat instead of a normal seat belt set up? If so then yes, its illegal not to have a normal seatbelt setup in a road going car

Yeah there racing harness's installed behind te seats, there not really obstructing the back seats but I've came to the conclusion that its probably not going to pass think I'll just ring the NCT centre and ask or just put it through like someone said, and see what it fails on.
    Thanks for all your helpful replies everyone.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I can't see why having safer seatbelts isn't allowed in the NCT. That said, I can't see why you would need racing harnesses for a honda civic.

Also just thinking....has the car done an NCT before and if so was this set-up present at the time?

Yes the car had its NCT 2 years ago but the guy I'd bought the car off had only recently put the bucket seats in so up until that time it was just the standard seats so that wouldn't have been a problem..starting to wish I would have just got a car with standard seats to begin with!:(

I can't see why having safer seatbelts isn't allowed in the NCT. That said, I can't see why you would need racing harnesses for a honda civic.

Ha I can see your point!It wasnt me who chose them jus happened to like the car and got it for a really good price so I cant really complain?:)

Your best bet is to bring it to the test anyways and take it from there. Best of luck!

No point, it will definitely fail, all you need is the standard seat belt set up, you can even leave the harness's in once it has the standard seat belt setup.

Harness's are harder to get out of in the event of an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ha I can see your point!It wasnt me who chose them jus happened to like the car and got it for a really good price so I cant really complain?:)
    Bucket seats are way more comfortable anyway, whoever thought it would be a good idea to install harnesses too just wanted to show off :pac:

No point, it will definitely fail, all you need is the standard seat belt set up, you can even leave the harness's in once it has the standard seat belt setup.

Harness's are harder to get out of in the event of an accident.

Right thats probably a good idea, one of my friend has jus wrote off a civic so I'll get the original belts out of that and put tem on for the test, thanks for your help.:D

• Advertisement

Bucket seats are way more comfortable anyway, whoever thought it would be a good idea to install harnesses too just wanted to show off :pac:

Ha well theres probably no use for them at all but have to admit I do like the way they look, sad I know,!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Right thats probably a good idea, one of my friend has jus wrote off a civic so I'll get the original belts out of that and put tem on for the test, thanks for your help.:D

Perfect solution, i was going to say just pick up a set from a breakers and have them fitted, but your already ahead on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Bucket seats are way more comfortable anyway

Depends on how fond one is of pies and beer. I reckon I'd get stuck. Sports seats are enough for me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

grahambo wrote: »
    I can't imagine them not paying out for having bucket seats.

Bucket seats are safer aren't they?
    They provide better support and in the event of a crash stop the drivers/passengers body from moving around as much.

I do understand what you mean about "modification" but seats is plain ridiculous.

OP
    I don't think your car will pass if it does not have the proper seat belts installed.

Run it through the test and see what it fails on. if they don't like the seats then just put the standard ones back in.

It's more to do with exiting in the event of a fire, or potential for theft.

A bucket seats/racing harnesses combo would make the car more attractive to a thief I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

How easy is it to get original seatbelts installed? If they have been completly removed, is it simple to get ones put back on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

antodeco wrote: »
    How easy is it to get original seatbelts installed? If they have been completly removed, is it simple to get ones put back on?

If they werent replaced with anything then it should be simple enough, there should be the points to bolt in the clip and the bottom of the belt still accessible in the car and its a matter of fitting the belt into the panel between the doors. I had to fully replace them in a Seicento before and it didnt take too long at all.

The-Game wrote: »
    If they werent replaced with anything then it should be simple enough, there should be the points to bolt in the clip and the bottom of the belt still accessible in the car and its a matter of fitting the belt into the panel between the doors. I had to fully replace them in a Seicento before and it didnt take too long at all.

Yea think this is the best option anyway, they havent been replaced with anything but the part that the belt clips into at the side has been removed aswell, dont know if this will make the job anymore difficult?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Give it a lash as is, and see what the NCT say. Worst case a retest is only 28 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

JHMEG wrote: »
    Give it a lash as is, and see what the NCT say. Worst case a retest is only 28 quid.
    A retest would most likely be free since it doesn't need a test-lane or any test equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

JHMEG wrote: »
    yeah but in this case a retest would most likely be free since it doesn't need a test-lane or any test equipment so just put it through and see what they say.

Advertisement