Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrong name on Speeding ticket

• 04-01-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

I am just looking for info on how i can get away without paying a fine and taking penalty points.

I was caught by a gatso doing 118 on the m50. It is a company vehicle and the fine arrived with a few errors on it

My surname was incorrect by one letter and also the company name on envelope was incorrect slightly.

If anyone can lend their expertise on this i would be very grateful!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Go to court and see what happens? Not much we can tell ya.. Im sure they spell nmaes wrong all the time.. Remember also they will have a picture of your face which if you go to court over this they will show the judge.

Now if it isent your car its a whole different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Change your name and move house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Ususally discrepancies like this can get you out of a courtroom situation - I know of someone (not personally - but heard the story and know its true) who got away with a no tax charge because of something - don't know if it was a name, date or reg number.

Don't know how that works exactly, but make sure you can get away with it before you don't pay. Also, it may work out cheaper for you to just pay it if you have to pay for legal advice or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Biff11 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am just looking for info on how i can get away without paying a fine and taking penalty points.

I was caught by a gatso doing 118 on the m50. It is a company vehicle and the fine arrived with a few errors on it

My surname was incorrect by one letter and also the company name on envelope was incorrect slightly.

Thanks

I assume it was 118Kph you got caught doing...

What a ridiculous speed limit. Spend millions upgrading the motorway, and then lower the limit because it's an "urban motorway".... Every other country in europe has a 120kph/70mph limit on their motorways!

I'd say you're better off just paying the fine and getting on with it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You could chance your arm. My boss did. Turned up for court on the day and the case was thrown out for wrong surname. His surname was more than a letter wrong - it was a slightly different name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Pedro K wrote: »
    What a ridiculous speed limit. Spend millions upgrading the motorway, and then lower the limit because it's an "urban motorway".... Every other country in europe has a 120kph/70mph limit on their motorways!
    They don't, actually. I do agree that the easiest thing for the OP is just to pay the fine, though. They could chance going to court, but if the judge takes a dim view (which, IMO, is likely) they could end up with four points instead of two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Beez Neez

Hi there

Depends in what part of the country (and therefore which District Court) you were caught in

Can you let me know where the offence was committed?

The DC Judge has the power to amend the Summons and as you got the fixed penalty notice the service was in order - ie you were not prejudiced

Come back with the area and i can let you know which Jude you'd be dealing with

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Biff11 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks
    Beez Neez wrote: »
    Hi there

Depends in what part of the country (and therefore which District Court) you were caught in

Can you let me know where the offence was committed?

The DC Judge has the power to amend the Summons and as you got the fixed penalty notice the service was in order - ie you were not prejudiced

Come back with the area and i can let you know which Jude you'd be dealing with

B

;)

Hi there - where exactly on the M50

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭Biff11

Was just before the Mad cow exit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Pedro K wrote: »
    People in other European countries are able to drive though!
    Anyhow, they may have been caught in a roadworks section (60km/h) (edit: given the post above, maybe it wasn't roadworks then!)

Ok - Dublin Metropolitan District so - lucky dip when it comes to drawing Judges.

You could try and get the sympathy of the Judge by trying to pay the fine but having it rejected by the Central Processing Unit - some Judges treat these summons leniently in these circumstances and strike out the summons

As there is a spelling mistake on the fixed penalty notice this makes this business of "confusing the computer" a little easier.

At the end of the day it all depends on how many penalty points you have already - this is not something to try if you are sitting on say, 8 points already. I would onyl advise this if you have none as you are taking a chance.

If your name on your licence is Joseph Bloggs, for example, then sign the form Joe Bloggs (ie something different to the official name on the licence) pay the fine and record the delivery by registered post. in most cases the computer in CPU cannot handle the difference and by the time they get it back to you you are out of time and have been prejudiced by the system - that is you shuold have two points instead of four. then when the summons issues you have to go to Court and show the Judge how you tried to pay in time, show him your reg post slip and plead for the summons to be struck out on the basis that it is unfair that you now have 4 points instead of two all beacuse of the computer in the CPU section

Always worth a try

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

If the fine remains unpaid then it goes to summons. The summons will be serviced (may be corrected may not) and you turn up in court. The prosecuting Garda can make an application to amend the summons. Amending the name is the easiest thing to do to a summons. Especially if its just spelling. I have yet to see a judge turn down an amendment of a name, address or townland in all my years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Beez Neez wrote: »
    Ok - Dublin Metropolitan District so - lucky dip when it comes to drawing Judges.

You could try and get the sympathy of the Judge by trying to pay the fine but having it rejected by the Central Processing Unit - some Judges treat these summons leniently in these circumstances and strike out the summons

As there is a spelling mistake on the fixed penalty notice this makes this business of "confusing the computer" a little easier.

At the end of the day it all depends on how many penalty points you have already - this is not something to try if you are sitting on say, 8 points already. I would onyl advise this if you have none as you are taking a chance.

If your name on your licence is Joseph Bloggs, for example, then sign the form Joe Bloggs (ie something different to the official name on the licence) pay the fine and record the delivery by registered post. in most cases the computer in CPU cannot handle the difference and by the time they get it back to you you are out of time and have been prejudiced by the system - that is you shuold have two points instead of four. then when the summons issues you have to go to Court and show the Judge how you tried to pay in time, show him your reg post slip and plead for the summons to be struck out on the basis that it is unfair that you now have 4 points instead of two all beacuse of the computer in the CPU section

Always worth a try

Good luck

The above trash is utter rubish. Total differences in name may stop your payment but if you sign different from the name given on you licence a judge will not take it as you "tried" to pay.

Also I can see from you post you are not very familiar with the fixed charge penalty system (FCPS). Only when convicted in court do you recieve 4 points. By your error in filling out the form right you contributed to the error.

Finally it should be also noted O/P, that if it is a company vehicle then the origional FCP notice was sent to them. they then nominated you. the spelling error may be theirs and not the state. In which case it was still you driving and the state have made no error and proven their case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Wouldn't it be nice if people just took responsibility for their actions? Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

concussion wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be nice if people just took responsibility for their actions? Oh well.

well said, i can hardly believe what i'm reading here... OP, you were speeding, own up and pay the fine and stop trying to look for a loophole/technicality to avoid the consequence of your decision to break the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kurva

I'm keeping an eye on this thread

I was stopped for speeding back in the first week of November, garda took my details and told i'd get a fixed penalty in the post

Do these fines come in a brown envolope, hand written name and address with a printed red stamp from a franking machine?

Nothing has arrived in my name , but 3 letters have arrived with a completely different name, not a misspelling of my name,
    not the name of any neighbors, the last residents, or the previous owner of the car

I've been giving the letters back to the GPO without opening them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭Biff11

No they come in a white envelope with a window. I'd say your Garda got lazy and let you away with it!!

Advertisement