Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Long and Winding Road to London 2010

Options
  • 04-01-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi all,

Really enjoy reading some of the training logs on the site so figured that witht the New Year upon us I'd give it a go and try to record my training for the year. As the current working title suggests, my first goal of the year is to lose my Marathon Cherry enjoyably and as pain free as possible in London at the end of April. I was blessed to get myself a place through the International entry Ballot and am really looking forward to the occasion. I also plan on doing more triathlons this year and in particular having a go at the Olympic distance, although for the most part I'll be sticking to cycling as a recovery exercise and working on my swimming technique rather than splashing up and down the pool.

I've decided to work of an 18-week plan from Hal Higdon (Intermediate 1 for those in the know). Today was day #1 of week three although as I didn't do any training over the weekend due to the weather (the poor road conditions rather than cold!) I missed my long run so had to try and fit it in today instead of the scheduled cross training day. Up until the weekend, I'd stuck to the schedule fairly rigidly, though I somewhat perversely find that heading out for anything less than a five mile run is harder than getting out for the longer ones.

I had planned on getting to the gym early this morning and doing 13km before work but again the weather threw a spanner into the works. Bythe time I reached the gym, it was impossible for me to fit in the run and be reasonably on time for work. I decided that I'd run 6k this morning and then get back to the gym to finish of with another 7k. To my amazement, I did just that lol. I'm impressed with myself today, as much for getting back into my sweaty shorts and socks as anything else. One of my number one hates is getting back into wet swimming trunks but putting my used running shorts back on was right up there with that yeuughh. Thankfully I had to running shirts with my (one of the bonuses of having a mini sports warehouse in the back of my car) as I think putting the shirt I wore this morning back on may have been a step too far. Still, work done for the day. I can go home and have a nice evening and an early night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Three interminable miles on the threadmill today with five scheduled for tomorrow - I'm really missing my outdoor runs! I'll never complain about wind, rain and more rain again (at least for this year).

At least afterwards I was able to do some strength and abs work straight away. Usually after a run I'm straight into the shower and then use the I-dont-want-to-get-sweaty-again-doing-crunches-and-press-ups excuse

If anybody has an tips on how to get through threadmill workouts sanely I'd be most appreciative!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Peckham

Good to see someone else with the same target race as me. You were definitely very lucky to get a place in the ballot - some people have been trying for years with no success. Was it your first ballot entry?

I also feel your treadmill pain, as I'm pretty much restricted to it at the moment. The best way I think to get through it is music/TV (if your gym has TV's built into the treadmills). Maybe plan your trip around the time of a good TV programme.

In case you don't know, it's also worth increasing the incline on the treadmill in order to get it closer to the feeling of road running (i.e. wind resistance, ease of running on moving treadmill etc.). Some debate about what's the best incline, but most people seem to settle on 1.5% or 2% (I use the latter).

Any time objective for London?

Peckham wrote: »
    Good to see someone else with the same target race as me. You were definitely very lucky to get a place in the ballot - some people have been trying for years with no success. Was it your first ballot entry?

I also feel your treadmill pain, as I'm pretty much restricted to it at the moment. The best way I think to get through it is music/TV (if your gym has TV's built into the treadmills). Maybe plan your trip around the time of a good TV programme.

In case you don't know, it's also worth increasing the incline on the treadmill in order to get it closer to the feeling of road running (i.e. wind resistance, ease of running on moving treadmill etc.). Some debate about what's the best incline, but most people seem to settle on 1.5% or 2% (I use the latter).

Any time objective for London?

Hi Peckham,

I've suffered the wrath of many a long-time ballot enterer on another website when I informed them that I got in with my first ever ballot entry so I try to keep it on the qt now, but yes, I got in with my first ever on time entry. I have tried before but I'm sure I missed the postal entry date by a couple of days each time.

I bought a pair of headphones from the gym to connect up with the monitors on the machines so I'm hoping that that will help over the next few days - I certainly don't plan on doing too much more indoor running once the cold snap leaves us.

I usually set the gradient to 1.3 to replicate some resistance but might have a go at the slightly higher incline.

Time-wise, I'm kinda torn. I'd like to do a reasonably fast time but at the same time don't want a target time that might over-ride the overall enjoyment of the day. Having watched the race on telly so often, I really want to soak up passing the famous landmarks and the overall athmosphere.

I think that I've a sub-3 in me but I'm reckoning on 3:15-3:30 to get round (though I'd be much happier with 3:16 than 3:29!!). I did the Dublin Half in 92:30 hobbling in from the Furry Glen as I had an enforced 5-week break in training between August and early September due to a chest infection which managed to wreck my calves on the climb out of the glen. I think after London I'll set my sights on Dublin in October and have a real go at a sub-3. I think I read before that you were looking to get in under three hours. Is that right?

No gym for me today. We were given permission to leave work early due to the weather so rather than battling through the traffice to the gym and then battling the traffic back home I headed straight home. One hour thirty five for a normal commute of 30 minutes so in the scheme of things that wasn't too bad.

40 minutes on the turbo this evening and a few minutes of core work instead. Was due to do five miles so I'll do that tomorrow instead of the three on the schedule providing I can make it to the gym!

Sounds like a sensible plan you have. Likewise I'll be off the treadmill as soon as the roads are safe to run on.

Current aim is sub-3, but still a few months to go.

• Advertisement

Have struggled to post up for the last couple of days primarily because the OH has been hogging the computer keeping up to date with the weather watch thread on here. I seen enough satellite images of the country to last me a very long time!

Did a bit on the turbo on Thursday as I couldn't make it to the gym and Friday was my scheduled day off and our offices were closing early so I worked from home and just did some core work and stretches.

Took the bus to Malahide Castle yesterday morning rather than drive as the clouds looked ominous and as I was waiting for the bus a blustery snow shower hit. The sun was shining by the time I got to the park and coupled with the good conditions under foot (snow but firm enough to run comfortably on) and crisp fresh air, it all made for a pretty blissful 6 miles. It felt good to be out in the fresh air again rather than the the gym.
    Hopped back on the bus and was home and showered just in time to put my feet up and watch the cross country on the bbc.

Did the same thing again for my LSR this morning, although the conditions were not nearly as nice as yesterday. Some of the snow had started turning to slush and had exposed some really bad icy patches. The trail around by the new changing rooms was particularly bad an barely walkable, let alone suitable for running, whereas around the cricket pitch and golf course the snow was still pretty abundant and much better underfoot.

The last couple of miles were difficult and my quads really began to feel it, especially on the grassy sections of the circuit where it was harder to maintain correct balance and posture. I had planned on doing 11 miles but with detours to avoid the worst of the trails, ended up doing 12.5 according to my Garmin. It's not a GPS unit but I ran 9 miles with my brother over Christmas who has a Forerunner 310 and my callibrationmached up almost perfectly to his so I'm pretty sure I covered the distance.

One thing I really struggled with in the snow was maintaining my correct pace. Today, my LSR was due to be run at around 5 mins/km but my average was more like 4:43. I felt like I was going slower and the effort felt easy but I'll need to try and be more disciplined from now on and work at a more suitable pace.

Anyways, two good weekend sessions. Down four miles on my target for the week but considering the weather, I won't beat myself up over it. Here's praying for a little respite from the snow and ice to give the paths a chance to dry up a little

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

good running over the weekend. if you fancy some company on your runs around malahide castle give me a pm. i usually do 10miles or so on a sat (tho i didnt yesterday) morning up there between 4:45 and 5:00 p/km. i find the lap around the golf course great for running as you can generally use the path or the grass depending on what you fancy

Thanks kennyb. Legs really feeling it today but they are good miles to have in the bank!

Not sure if I'll be around this Saturday but I'll PM you either way.

After a rest day on Monday (just a bit of a walk to loosen the legs after the long run on Sunday), I was scheduled to do a three miler today. Weather was horrible outside so rather than go before work or at lunch, I decided to get it done in the gym after my first swim training with the newly established Fingal Triathlon Club.

My swimming fitness is pretty low at the moment so I found the overall session really tough. Any pool time I've put in in the last couple of months has been just to work on my "technique" so I was expecting to be a bit off the pace last night, and I most certainly was! Struggled through for the hour, which fly by really, and dragged myself out of the pool (literally as my arms were like jelly), dried off and headed up to the gym floor.

Instead of the planned 5k, I ended up only doing 3. Legs were heavy and it was getting late and I didn't need another excuse to call it a night. I think I'll need to tweak my schedule a bit next week and have a recovery run on Monday after my LSR and then use Tuesday as my cross training day.

Starving afterwards so indulged myself with jamaican ginger cake and whipped cream with a nice cup of tea after guzzling down a sachet of SIS Rego. After that session (and the Rego, which is not entirely pleasant lol) I think I deserved it :P

Following on from our first coached swim session on Tuesday evening, we were introduced yesterday evening to Lieuwe, our new running coach. A Good number of 15 or so runners turned up on, which as great to see. Hopefully, our member numbers will rise as the season progresses - www.fingaltri.ie for those interested!

The session was a good mix of technical drills, intervals and welcome recovery runs. Covered about 5 and a half miles in total for the session according to my Garmin, which isn't a huge distance but the intensity of the training was good. Hopefully, this session will only complement my other run sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Good luck messed up:D
    I know exactly what you mean regarding runs less than 5 miles. Somehow it dosnt seem worth it but there is method to the maddness:D

messed_up wrote: »
    Following on from our first coached swim session on Tuesday evening, we were introduced yesterday evening to Lieuwe, our new running coach. A Good number of 15 or so runners turned up on, which as great to see. Hopefully, our member numbers will rise as the season progresses - www.fingaltri.ie for those interested!

The session was a good mix of technical drills, intervals and welcome recovery runs. Covered about 5 and a half miles in total for the session according to my Garmin, which isn't a huge distance but the intensity of the training was good. Hopefully, this session will only complement my other run sessions.
    where exactly in skerries are you's doing it by the way?

6 Miles for today as per my Hal Higdon plan so headed out to Malahide and ran from Oscar Taylors to the Portmarnock/Baldoyle roundabout and back with my brother. I wasn't too sure how the legs would feel after Wednesday's session, so I suggested that he dictate the pace and I'd follwo along if necessary. Thankfully, he wasn't feeling up to running hard so we settled into a fairly handy pace and chatted away for the run. It felt fairly balmy out last night compared to the last few weeks (it was about 3 above zero!) so I wasn't too upset that I forgot to pack my gloves.

Rest day today - yay!!

Saturday 16th - 6M Pace

A horrible six miles. Couldn’t get my normal Saturday park run in due to other commitments so it was dark outside by the time I ventured out onto the local roads and paths. I was ready at that stage to knock it on the head but I hate not getting a workout in on a day off work so I eventually mustered up the energy to get changed and then changed again when I realised that leaving the tights at home was probably not a good idea. Good job as it was colder than I had expected and then it rained heavily out of nowhere after about 5 minutes. Just a short shower but enough to make me wet and miserable and sorry that I didn’t put on a more appropriate top. I couldn’t get into any rhythm either. It seemed I had to stop for a car at every road crossing or junction or else put in a sprint when every traffic light seemed to turn against me as I was crossing the road. It was hard to keep to any pace either, so needless to say. I was glad to get that one out of the way.

Sunday 17th - 13 Miles LSR

13 Miles LSR. Headed off to the Phoenix Park as I’ve done a couple of the half marathons there so would be fairly familiar as to the route to take to cover the 13 miles. I parked up at the junction of Chesterfield Avenue and Furze Road as this would allow me to grab a drink twice on my planned route (roughly the old half marathon course- pre 2008?). Covering the distance was pretty comfortable at my planned pace of 8 minute miles, though as usual I needed to check my pace frequently as I was constantly increasing my pace to about 7:10 minute miles. The total time for the run was 1:40, which I think was about 20 seconds per mile quicker than ideal.

I have to thank my brother who accompanied me round on a relatively small amount of training beforehand – his last long-ish run was a nine-miler over Christmas and he’s never done 13 in his life. The company makes the miles and time pass so much quicker. I spent the rest of the day on the couch, feet up, cup of tea in hand watching the first six episodes from the first series of “Supernatural” on DVD. My legs didn’t feel too bad at all this morning so it must have been a good recovery strategy! Same again next week, I think :)

Did a little over three miles of a recovery run. Didn't want to fall into the trap of running too fast so i did the unthinkable - I went out running in tracksuit pants! I seriously cannot recall the last time I did any form of exercise in them. I hate the feel of them swishing around my ankles and I tend to get really hot and sweaty in them to boot urghh.

They seemed to work as I was able to keep my pace right down to 5 minute ks for the duration of the run. The legs felt ok, with no aches or pains, which I was happy about. I didn't bother eating before I went out (its only three miles, right?) but towards the end I felt my energy levels drop off and finisshed off with a bit of a bonk. I'll be more careful in future, even at short distances.

Achilles on the right leg was a bit stiff this morning getting out of bed, so I'll need to keep an eye on that.

Thankfully, the problems logging into boards to chart my progress didn't effect my training too much, though the whole training-log thing is strangely addictive - glad to be back :)

Tuesday 19th

Club swimming session (1 hour)

Wednesday 20th

No running due to a "change of plans" in the evening grrrrrr

Thursday 21st

7 miles on a God-awful night - gale force winds, lashing rain, puddles everywhere - enjoyable in a very crazy way.

Friday 22nd

Off

Saturday 23rd

Another 7 miler. No wind this time but lots of freezing fog around.

Sunday 24th

14 Miles LSR. Another freezing day for my longest ever run to date. Legs felt heavy to start but finished quite well, which I was very pleased about. Bit achy now, but in a good way I think!

31 miles this week, three less than planned but I'll take that considering the week I've had. Back to normality next week I hope and more detailed logging.

Monday 25th

3 mile recovery run that turned into a pretty fast session. I felt really strong and couldn't help but run fast. Felt great!

Tuesday 26th

Sniffly all day - just when I was feeling in great shape! - so gave club swimming a miss as a precaution.

Wednesday 27th

Felt better so went to the club fartlek session. A tough hours worth of high knees, strides and sprints (with a little recovery time thrown in)

Thursday 28th

7 mile steady run. Legs were tired after the session last night so didn't push the pace at all and just glided round.

Friday 29th

Had planned on doing my prescribed 10 miler after work and giving myself a full days rest for the Raheny 5 but felt shattered come the evening. Took my rest day instead.

Saturday 30th

10 Miles in the morning. Decent enough session once I got going, which took a while. Very chilly day but the morning sun was lovely.

Sunday 31st

Raheny 5 - First time doing this race and really enjoyed the day. Well organised and a nice route. Figured that anything under 32 minutes would be great. Probably wouldn't have set my sights that high given that the marathon is my real aim but with my brother running I figured that I couldn't allow myself to finish too far behind him! Finished in 31:38 on my clock (hopefully the chip time will take a couple of seconds of that too!) which was a big PB so was really chuffed with how it went, even if the brother finished ahead of me.

Total mileage hit thirty this week which is consistent. Next week's mileage is planned at 40 so bit of a jump but have ended this week on a bit of a high so bring it on :)

excellent time, esp given you did 10 the day before.

Haven’t been updating my training schedule much the last while but thankfully my training hasn’t fallen by the wayside. Going to try and get back to keeping a daily log on here but for now here’s what I’ve done for the last week and a bit.

Monday 1st February

Very easy 4 miles from home after the Raheny 5 the day before. The legs felt a bit sore and niggly to begin with, probably as I’ve not ran at that pace for quite a while, but after a half mile or so I settled into a comfortable trot for the rest of the way. Slightly over 4 and a half miles in total in just over 35 mins so in and around 7:55 per mile for the workout.

Tuesday 2nd February

I decided to “sacrifice” swimming class with the tri-club in order to watch Spurs and Leeds in the FA Cup replay, and was then gutted to discover that the game was scheduled for Wednesday ARGHHH. I had to settle for watching the new Krypton Factor (far easier than the old one) and doing my laundry. These days doing the laundry takes up nearly as much time as my training. It’s quite scary to see that 95 per cent of the washing I do now comprises 95 per cent lycra and polyester outfits and only 5 per cent “normal” clothes. Speaking of lycra, I picked up a pair of Adidas Techfit Powerweb tights on sale in Lifestyle for only 20 quid that weekend (they were 70 so I couldn’t resist!). They look like the bottom half of the Spiderman black costume with rubber webbing along the hamstrings and butt for support. Haven’t tried them yet but might do a bit of a review of them at some point here.

Wednesday 3rd February

The guilt of missing training two days in a row got the better of me so I begrudgingly decided to go club run training rather than watch the football. The session was really good again and I feel it is a welcome addition to the longer sessions I’ve been doing, though the last couple of sprints were really tough. Got home for the last 20 minutes of the match and saw Spurs score two which made supper just that much nicer.

Thursday 4th February

Missed my planned 8 miler as I began to feel crap during the afternoon with a bit of a temperature and a thumping headache so just went to bed and took a couple of Uni-flus.

Friday 5th February

Still felt a bit feverish and the headache was still the same so stayed in bed for the day. Began to feel better as the day wore on so watched a few episodes of Supernatural and started thinking about whether I should try and get my weekend runs in! “If I take Saturday really, really easy as a test I can then decide whether or not to do my planned 16 miles on Sunday.....”

Saturday 6th February

Was awake really early so decided to head out into the mist before the OH was even awake. The mist soon turned to a fairly steady bit of rain and by the time I got to the park it was fairly wet. I wasn’t really prepared for rain but by a bit of a fluke had left my waterproof jacket in the boot of the car so was able to run in comparative comfort. Got a right dressing down from the OH when I got back who admonished me for running in the rain while I was poorly, water-proofed or not!

Sunday 7th February

My first 16 mile run. The last couple of miles were tough, especially as myself and the brother began by throwing in 2 sub-seven minute miles to begin with, at least a minute fast than I had planned. It wasn’t deliberate but we were chatting and not paying any attention to our pace at the start (this won’t happen again!). The last couple of miles were a bit of a struggle but was pretty happy at how I maintained my form. Only another 10 miles to add onto that and I’ll be dancin’.

Monday 8th February

4 Mile recovery run, nice and easy. I noticed a couple of aches in my knees and ankles but no pain thankfully.

Tuesday 9th February
    Club swimming in the NAC for an hour. Just under 2,000M for our lane, which was plenty!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Well done on the 16 miles. Its a good sign if you are able to chat for the first 2 miles @ 7 m/m. As the long runs extend you are always going to feel it a bit in the last few miles, you can take that for granted. My mantra when I reach that stage is 'tired but strong'.

• Advertisement

dermCu wrote: »
    Well done on the 16 miles. Its a good sign if you are able to chat for the first 2 miles @ 7 m/m. As the long runs extend you are always going to feel it a bit in the last few miles, you can take that for granted. My mantra when I reach that stage is 'tired but strong'.

Thanks dermCu,

Last couple of miles were with heavy legs alright. Haven't developed a suitable mantra just yet but check my posture every couple of minutes to try andkeep my core engaged and run a bit taller - easier said than done but it gets me through! Might steal yours for mile 17 on Sunday :)

Wednesday 10th

Really tired so gave the club running session a miss so took a rest day.

Thursday 11th

8 miles in the late afternoon. A chance to enjoy the rare pleasure (for me, at least) to run in daylight during the week! 7:25 mile on average but felt easy.

Doing the Cupid's Dash 10K on Saturday so doing and easy 4 on Friday evening to keep the legs rolling over.

Friday 12th

Rested up. Had planned on 2 or 3 miles but work and shopping got in the way.

Saturday 13th

Cupid's Dash 10K. Weekend runs were supposed to be 8 miles @race pace and 17 miles LSR on Sunday. Figured that I'd do the 6 miles of the Cupid's at a bit faster than race pace and look for a 41:00 10K. Race was going well and I was well on for a good sub-40 with 2K to go but on the way down the hill past the magazine fort I felt a little twinge on my left calf. Kept going as it passed almost immediately but as I started up the Khyber Road I felt it twinge again. I could see that the final part of the race was up that hill and back down it which I figured would put a fair amount of stress on the legs so I took the decision to drop out. Disappointing but with no point in doing any unnecessary damage.

Hung around the finish to watch the brother run 38:40 something, which was a really strong run from him. I'd been within touching distance of him at the 8K mark so might have gone sub-39 so a bit gutted (though most reckon the finish was a little short of 10K).

Calf got sore as the day went on so just put the feet up, wrapped it in ice and decided to forget about the long run on Sunday.

Feels better this morning so I'll give it another day and I'll get back to training. Will swap next weeks 12 mile sunday run for 17 and will get the 12 mile in during the week to keep the miles ticking over.

17 miles clocked this week - less than half my target mileage.

Not much to report on as I've been resting my leg. A friend gave me some massage ointment with Arnica which seems to have helped no end, although the smell has made me very unpopular at bed-time with the OH. Leg feels good now and there is no reaction under stretch or contraction so time to get back in the training groove. This is week 9 of my 18-week plan. In some ways its hard to believe that I'm half way there already but in others it seem that the marathon is still so far away, even though I've really only six weeks of solid training to get in before I start to taper down.

Calf injury is doing my head in. I've managed the following in the last two weeks:

1 x 10 Miles
    1 x 4 Miles (pulled up with calf)
    1 x 8 Miles (Brilliant run, not a bother)
    1 x 5 Miles (planned 15 but calf said no after 5)

Hopefully, the treatment I've received over the last week will get me back running strongly soon. The injury is so frustrating as apart from when I run, I'm in no discomfort. Even in the times when the calf has given me trouble on the run, I feel like I could get back out on the road an hour later. First 20 miler ws planned for the weekend but I'll need to jig my training plan around for the next couple of weeks.

Am feeling your pain (almost literally!). Am sure you know this, but resting is so important at the moment until it clears up fully. Patience is key!

Have you had the exact injury diagnosed? Have you been given any stretching/self-treatment you can do?

Peckham wrote: »
    Am feeling your pain (almost literally!). Am sure you know this, but resting is so important at the moment until it clears up fully. Patience is key!

Have you had the exact injury diagnosed? Have you been given any stretching/self-treatment you can do?

Thanks Peckham. Though my injury is far less severe than your ankle, I'm sure that they are probably very similar in terms of frustration and anxiety with the marathon getting ever closer. Its as annoying as having to exercise portion control with my food over the last couple of weeks to keep the weight I've dropped from coming back, which is saying something for me!

I've had the leg looked at by a very good sports therapist and I've a minor tear in the medial head of the gastrocnemius. Probably only slightly more than a Grade 1 as its only the ballistic action of running that induces pain - stretching is pain-free and I can plantarflex my foot fully without pain too under my own bodyweight. Think I'll hold off until next week now before I get back running just to make sure that the tear has healed. Fingers crossed!

Advertisement