Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help concentrating :(

• 04-01-2010 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi,
    iv dossed the hole year so far, however, im now desperatly tring to fit the two year course into a four week marathon study session before my mocks. Please dont reply saying that i shouldnt worry about the mocks or that i shouldnt have left it so late. Im simple asking for advice on how to concentrate and mayby even your own study tips. Im on day two as i speak with very little to show for the hours of tedious 'study' i have endured. I am aiming for 540 in the l.c so, i would be pleased with high 400s in my mocks. Thanks in advance,
    John
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

I'm exactly the same :rolleyes:..
    I think my only option is to delete my Bebo and Facebook...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Do you know what you want to do after the Leaving Cert? I'm presuming from your post that you do. At the end of the day, LC points are useful for only one important thing- getting you into your course. This is many people's primary motivator. One of my teacher's recommended writing your college course on a piece of big paper, and what points you need under it, and placing this on the wall beside your desk, or wherever you study. It mightn't work for everybody, but it could help.

Set yourself short term, specific, achievable goals. There's no point saying 'I will revise half of the biology course by February 15th. It's way too vague. Make sure you take breaks when you're studying, it helps you focus more when you move onto a new subject. In my experience, spending a full day studying the one subject is way too boring, and your mind can stray a lot. It'd be better to do a specific part of all your subjects to vary it. Variety is the spice of life study after all! And remember that it's what you get covered over an extended period, not one hour, that counts. After an hour, or a day, or even a week, it might seem like you have nothing done. What you learn may build slowly and incrementally. You could be surprised at the end of a fortnight or a month with how much you know.

Remember that a few months slog (and that's all it is), could make the difference of a lifetime. I know that's hard to bear in mind as you face into quotes from King Lear, or whatever it is, but at the end of the day it's the reason for you studying in the first place.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

One of my problems is I still dont have a clue what course I am even aiming for. So when everyone else is worried whether they will get their dream job, I'm trying hard to study but where is the light at the end of the tunnel...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'm exactly the same :rolleyes:..
    I think my only option is to delete my Bebo and Facebook...
    It doesn't work, Claire :P I've just found loads of other ways to distract myself now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

DB10 wrote: »
    One of my problems is I still dont have a clue what course I am even aiming for. So when everyone else is worried whether they will get their dream job, I'm trying hard to study but where is the light at the end of the tunnel...:(
    You should look to get enough points for an Arts degree TBH. If you have no idea what you want to do after school you can discover your favourite course in college and persue it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 JackMagic

yeah my problem was my Maton guitars in my room and all my live gear, sitting there luring me,
    so move all possible distractions out of the place you're studying and make a timetable, stick to it religiously!!
    my uncle taught me that and he got 600 in his leavin (or the equivalent in his day, got the best Maths & Physics results in the country and now he's on the board of Allianz so that's something!)
    I make time for music, time for girlfriend, time for sports, time for friends, etc....
    Yeah I deleted my Bebo too cos i wasted so much time, i can sort of control myself better on Facebook for some reason
    so maybe its worth a try :)

Advertisement