Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus A330-300

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

donvito99 wrote: »
    Is that really necessary?
    no
    Aer Lingus will more than likely have a configuration tipping the scale at 350, which is significantly more, not "roughly the same".

how do you know that? surely by going to LAX/SFO you would not take seats away from your 1st class config!
    By offering connecting passengers from the UK/Europe €400 flights! This is the direction EI are going in.

oh what a great idea - boost your business by jumping into market where supply overwhelms the demand!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

martinsvi wrote: »

oh what a great idea - boost your business by jumping into market where supply overwhelms the demand!

Why is it then that reportedly 60-70% of tatl pax with EI come from places like AMS, one of the best connected airports in Europe?

Why is it then that reportedly 60-70% of tatl pax with EI come from places like AMS, one of the best connected airports in Europe?

that's not what I've heard... A guy from EI said to me that most connecting PAX come from Italy and Spain... a market that has limited interest in LAX/SFO.. there were also a lot of folks from Germany but now Lufthansa is fighting back big time with their A380s.. listen how about sharing with your source of information huh? it's seems that you are so well informed about everything but nothing you say can really be backed up by anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi all,
    there will be fleet changes in the A320s in the near future. two out, two in, as far as I know.

regards
    Stovepipe

Italy
    I've heard this also, but I am confident that AMS is the point of origin with the most pax connecting with EI.
    a market that has limited interest in LAX/SFO..
    Really? And you suggesting EI fly to the 'bekistans!
    there were also a lot of folks from Germany but now Lufthansa is fighting back big time with their A380s..
    In direct response to EI no doubt. :D
    listen how about sharing with your source of information huh? it's seems that you are so well informed about everything but nothing you say can really be backed up by anything...

In all fairness, you've mentioned you heard from a friend. The threads on airliners.net that I linked are great, they've been running for years and have charts and importantly graphs that would resolve the whole pax/cargo issue we're having. I'm in no mood to trawl through several years of posts though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

This old 350v 330 debate is a can I have said in previous posts that will be booted up the road for a long time......deliveries in 2016 to EIN. ? Dream on.

Latest with the 330s is they have increased their mtow again plus their mlw. As a previous poster mentioned, it won't be down to if they have a 350 or not to set sail again to the west coast. It'll be tighter turn arounds and having 1 1/2 aircraft if you get my drift re utilization on the route.

I can see EIN getting deals on the latest 330s and moving the 350 slots.

Bottom line.....it's great to see rumblings again re AL medium/long haul.

It wasn't long back that we were griping about the 350 being "too big" for EI and the 787 being a much better option!

And do deliveries not start in 2015, this excluding problems Airbus might have, and they've been very cautious with how they will deliver the 350.

Really? And you suggesting EI fly to the 'bekistans!

yes, and feeding them to existing transatlantic routes or providing a gateway to Europe while getting tour operators on board and organizing package deals for your average European tourist that has seen "everything"..

I hope your only opinion about these countries doesn't come from the Borat movie - they are blooming economies and oil money means business!

I know it's a complete long shot and it is risky, but at least it has the potential.

You can't ignore the fact that SFO/LAX didn't work out for EI on last attempt, you can't just imagine that a little more efficient plane will suddenly make all things to work (15% less fuel doesn't mean 15% off the ticket price as fuel is only a part (some say 30%, some say 50%) of the expense of the flight).

Also keep in mind the partnership with JetBlue - it only works if both airlines keep feeding passengers to each other equally. I believe, if EI would start westcoast operations, this partnership would break into pieces and no-one really can't afford that at the minute...

I hope your only opinion about these countries doesn't come from the Borat movie - they are blooming economies and oil money means business!

Certainly not.
    I know it's a complete long shot and it is risky, but at least it has the potential.

Why, why, why would EI fly to the Middle of Asia before destinations with obvious business and diaspora connections to Ireland itself? Why try and compete with the likes of Turkish or Austrian who already have a market presence in these regions? This is armchair airline management. (Which is exactly what I'm doing BTW!)
    You can't ignore the fact that SFO/LAX didn't work out for EI on last attempt, you can't just imagine that a little more efficient plane will suddenly make all things to work (15% less fuel doesn't mean 15% off the ticket price as fuel is only a part (some say 30%, some say 50%) of the expense of the flight).

Let's look at what's changed. More feed now coming through DUB, aeroplanes that are not falling apart with marketable cabins (excl. the business seats), new terminal, EI Regional, new lounge, new partnerships, and most importantly, signs of a real commitment to the marketing of routes (something that was abysmal during the Mannion era), and even small things like improvements to the website and pre-order meals. The EI of 2007/8 cannot be compared to today's airline.

All that is needed now is a decent Gold Circle Club.

Throw in the 350s and the West Coast becomes a much more achievable and doable route, not a fairytale like Astana and the like. This is Aer Lingus not Lufthansa.
    Also keep in mind the partnership with JetBlue - it only works if both airlines keep feeding passengers to each other equally. I believe, if EI would start westcoast operations, this partnership would break into pieces and no-one really can't afford that at the minute...

Why? Its not like jetblue compete between Ireland and the US. Perhaps United might be a bit peeved. That isn't to say that something couldn't be worked out. No way would EI expansion to NA be dictated by codeshare partners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

Sorry to bump this thread but I didn't want to start a new one!

Rumour has it over on PPRUNE that EI are to/have scouted out in Abu Dhabi for A330s from Etihad.

Interesting indeed if true. EI/EY - Friends with benefits?
    "PPRUNE" ?

• Advertisement

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    "PPRUNE" ?

PPRUNE

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

... The EI of 2007/8 cannot be compared to today's airline.

perhaps you are right, only time will tell

From its annual results;
    Aer Lingus will return to higher capacity growth in 2013 adding one aircraft on the North Atlantic B]formerly the IAD based a/c no doubt[/B and four short haul aircraft in cooperation with Virgin Atlantic out of London Heathrow. This represents an increase of 5.0% in our available seat kilometres. We will also fly one Airbus A330 aircraft during the next two winter seasons, with an option for a further one, on behalf of a major European tour
    operator
    which will improve aircraft utilisation in the low season

Any idea who this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-07/aer-lingus-seeks-more-deals-like-virgin-lease-as-ireland-stalls.html
    Bloomberg wrote:
    A surplus Airbus A330-200 wide-body will also operate from Scandinavia to the Caribbean on behalf of a major tour operator for the next three winters, Mueller said yesterday, with the plane to be used on trans-Atlantic flights during the summer. That’s after a lease deal with United Continental Holdings Inc. for flights between Madrid and Washington expired in October.

Thomas Cook maybe? Don't know of anyone other tour operators operating long haul from Scandinavia

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Id imagine so too. They're the major one there though TUI also has operations.

Advertisement