Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much notice to give!

Options
  • 04-01-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All sorry if there is another tread like this but just need to get some advice pretty quick!

my lease is up on the 4th of Feb 2010 how much notice would i have to give to not have to resign and not loose my deposit?

I really want to get away from the crowd that i am renting off as they are just terrible to deal with and the house is like the house that jack built!

Thanks for help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I would assume that 1 month notice (in writing) is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

According to Citizens Information, for a tenancy of 6 to 12 months, 35 days notice is required. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/types_of_tenancy.

What does your lease say about giving notice or renewing the lease, or does it say anything? If it doesn't say anything, then I think it would be sufficient to write a letter confirming that you do not wish to renew the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dubire

thanks for info guys! i really dont want to have to leave deposit to this crowd as they are just terrible. I will give notice and see what they say but im sure they are going to say i didnt give enough notice and keep deposit.

If that is the case, is there anything else i can do (As house is really bad) to get it back off them....?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

dubire wrote: »
    thanks for info guys! i really dont want to have to leave deposit to this crowd as they are just terrible. I will give notice and see what they say but im sure they are going to say i didnt give enough notice and keep deposit.

If that is the case, is there anything else i can do (As house is really bad) to get it back off them....?

You can always lodge a complaint with the PRTB, if they don't refund your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

dubire wrote: »

What does your lease/contract say about giving notice or renewing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

If your lease is up on the 4th of Feb 2010, then strictly speaking, unless the lease says otherwise, you don't need to give any notice.

That said, it would be incredibly rude not to, and would definitely piss them off and cause hassle. Tell them now, in writing, that you don't intend to stay past the end of the lease. Send it by registered post so you they can't deny receiving it.

(Of course, double check your lease to make sure that they didn't put in a longer notice period)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Techinicaly speaking the once the lease is up thats it. No need for notice.

It would be polite to inform them a month ahead of time however it is equaly up to the landlord/agency to check with you what your intentions are.

Send a notice in writing then call them to check they recieved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Massive Muscles

to not have to resign and not loose my deposit?
    Slightly OT but a lot of people assume you have to resign a lease. Once it ends you are on Part 4 and can stay and leave as you see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Slightly OT but a lot of people assume you have to resign a lease. Once it ends you are on Part 4 and can stay and leave as you see fit.
    This isn't true, there are notice periods associated with part 4 tenancies, and these can be quite long depending on the length of the tenancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Massive Muscles

Ste.phen wrote: »
    This isn't true, there are notice periods associated with part 4 tenancies, and these can be quite long depending on the length of the tenancy

I thought that would be obvious enough to most people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement