Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Up Advice Thread.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

if you look at your character stats
    it details the type of wins you have

SUPER WINS
    ULTRA WINS
    CHEAP WINS [i think thats chip damage]
    LOW PATHETIC WINS [this will come with the DLC, its a time out win]

i'm becoming more patient, but i cant stand a time out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ye Guile is dumb

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Placebo wrote: »
    if you look at your character stats
    it details the type of wins you have

SUPER WINS
    ULTRA WINS
    CHEAP WINS [i think thats chip damage]
    LOW PATHETIC WINS [this will come with the DLC, its a time out win]

i'm becoming more patient, but i cant stand a time out.

I actually don't know how to beat Guile with Chun, but I can advise you based on our matches?

1) You can't match Guile in a projectile war. He'll either be slow booming to build meter or quick booming to make you run in. Be aware he's not just spamming, no matter what you think.

2) If you're going to chase kikoken, STOP DASHING outside of Guiles ST HP range. Use hazan shu or something or focus dash to close from there.

3) If you're going to jump, make sure you're going to land outside of his ST HP range. You're just not going to win on this unless Guile is asleep.

4) Bite the bullet, take ultra 1 in the match up and learn to focus dash ultra. Stopping Guile from doing 2 sonic booms in a row is way more important than the 4 or 5 points of damage U2 does. People who think otherwise don't get how the Guile match works, IMO.

5) Work on wake up mix up. You use hazan shu waaaay too much. It's good online but off I can block it on reaction most of the time. Even worse, I can do a late EX flash kick sometimes. Chun's got loads of options and the only thing Guile can really do on wake up is block unless he senses something coming. Once you get in, you should be abusing his poor wake up and his low dizzy rating.

6) I'm pretty sure one of Chun's kicks, I think lk, beats air throw if done early.

If you ARE going to jump, make sure to alternate this with other stuff though as any Guile worth his salt will swith to ground based AA of j hk when they get hit a couple of times.

Chuns got a safe jump off a forward throw if you actually manage to get near the prick. After a forward throw do a dash and jump rh, flash kick will miss if he does it. You can do forward throw dash, take a step, jump crossup lk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

similar one works for sagat, works much better actually, misses his uppercut
    lol

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »
    similar one works for sagat, works much better actually, misses his uppercut
    lol

Ye you can do the same one against cammy. Jump fp and the dp misses, jump crossup lk beats the dp and you can combo off it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

This is for Hound, You say the Fei vs Bipson match up is in Bipsons favor!
    Wont be long before people consider Isy9983 to be the best Dictator in the world if hes not already. Gonna keep my eye out for Bipson players beating good aggressive Feis. This one is not so good :(

See what I did there? One video doesn't prove anything. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

I find it hard to find good feis beating good bisons. the super punish by the fei was godlike, no bipson expected that

Actually I would of. Largely because I have got hit by it several times.

More Fei Vs Bison

Mago Vs HARITSUKA AN Part 1

Mago Vs HARITSUKA AN Part 2

Starnab Vs Nox

• Advertisement

Is HARITSUKA AN TUC or Kuma or something? He knows how to block on wake up and hes extremely aggressive. I'v seen a few videos of him. Hes the best Bison I'v seen apart Stavanger1!! pacman.gif

Nope. He's just another good Bison player.
    He posted his own match up ratings on his blog and was of the opinion that Fei-Long:Bison was 5:5.

Anyway Stavanger1 is a scrub who can only beat chokers and rage quiters anyway!

Azza wrote: »

Anyway Stavanger1 is a scrub who can only beat chokers and rage quiters anyway!

I really dont have an answer to this apart from I dont choke or rage quit I just lose to the better player! & yes I think the match up is 5:5

The Hound wrote:
    I really dont have an answer to this apart from I dont choke or rage quit I just lose to the better player! & yes I think the match up is 5:5

You lost to players at Inferno who are aren't better than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Part of being a good player is not choking in tournament situations in fairness - however I do feel like you lost to a far worse player than yourself at Inferno Hound. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Lads, i came across a gief recently and he did 1 r 2 things that i had no answer to while i was playin as bison.

First was double knee drop into spd. Im not sure but i thought one could jump outa this. Either way he was landing it quite often.
    Second was l.p, l.p into spd. This felt almost instant after the second l.p and to make matters worse was mixed up very well to stop me jumping out.
    Third was jump-ins after a knock down, everytime i would trade with a rising lariat or be beaten clean. I varied my jumpins a good bit with late jh.p to cross up h.k.

Basically just looking for tips on minimizing spds when gief is in close and the best way to capitalize while he's down. I usually play this match very defencive minded but the gief i mentioned spammed green hands alot, i punished as much as i could but once he was in i found it very hard to shake him since lariat beats ex psy.cr and ex dev.rev as wake up options. Blocking kept me alive that few seconds longer but put me back to square one haha.

Thanks if anyones got some tips for me.

You lost to players at Inferno who are aren't better than you.
    Idk "are aren't", ha. wtf. Anyway you and dreddy are no scrubs. Well dreddy isnt, not sure about that stavanger1 guy pacman.gif I dont think im bettter and if i am its not by much, wer all on the same level imo.

Robbknoll just dont let gief in, use st rh to keep him out and turtle like hell, Gief wins once he's in on all of the cast. Use teleport or ex meter to get out, mix it up with escape options, Like a backdash is as good as any others. Bisons teleport and ex psycho crusher as well as ex devil reverse to get out is probably his best options.

Robbknoll wrote:
    First was double knee drop into spd. Im not sure but i thought one could jump outa this. Either way he was landing it quite often.

You should be able to jump out or mash teleport. Its tricky though as you have got to be fast.
    Gief really should be only attempting this when he knocks you down. If its while your standing you should be able to AA it pretty easy.
    Problem is if thats its a cross up knee drop it may screw up a reversal teleport on wake up. Block then mash teleport (RDP+3K).
    Robbknoll wrote:
    Second was l.p, l.p into spd. This felt almost instant after the second l.p and to make matters worse was mixed up very well to stop me jumping out.

Yes SPD comes out super fast (2 frames and German Suplex comes out in 1 frame) so it feels pretty much instant after a tick. Again mash teleport (comes out in 0 frames :P, RDP+3K or better still use the shortcut DB, DB +3K as if you mess it up there is still a chance you might block him). Do it even if he's landing his c.lp and c.lk strings as alot of low and mid level Giefs can't consistently perform his link combo's and can give you a free out. You also escape his mix up tick SPD's. If he lands a full combo there was nothing you could anyway.
    Robbknoll wrote:
    Third was jump-ins after a knock down, everytime i would trade with a rising lariat or be beaten clean. I varied my jumpins a good bit with late jh.p to cross up h.k.

Never ever jump at Gief. Late lariat or wake up lariat beat all Bisons air options. Only low meaties or a throw can beat his lariat during its start up.

If you look at its hitbox during start, only his feet are exposed (green lined box), his head and midsection are not hitable.

01LariatStartup123.png

and his first 2 active frames (frames that can hit you) his head and upper body (red lined box) as well as his feet are now vunrable but his midsection is still not hitable.
    Note this are the only active frames that Lariat can hit crouchers.

02LariatActive12.png

Gief has no hitbox anywhere but down at his feet during start up. Meaning if you attempt any sort of meaty jump in attack Gief can reversal larait and your active hitbox will either (a.) pass down to his mid section of his body where he can't be hit but you won't have time to reach his feet which are vunrable because on frame 4 his active hitbox appears which will beat you clean or (b.) your active hitbox is higher and you trade with his now vunrable head and shoulder but still get hit by the Gief active hitbox. This is actually worse since it sets up Gief to land Ex.Banishing flat. So jumps are not a good idea.

You can safe jump lariat but you will only get the chance after landing a throw. But this is very hard to time and looses to Ex.Spd anyway.

One of the few things worth trying is Ex.Headpress on his wake up. Ex.Headpress does more damage than larait so in the event of a trade you win. If you land an untechable knockdown you should be able to perform a very meatie Ex.Headpress that will reach his feet and this stuff and counterhit larait on start up. That however still looses to Ex.Spd if the Zangief player sees it coming.

When's he not on wake up Zangief can crouch down to perform a late larait (perform a larait when his opponent is at head height if Gief was standing) which is ever better and if timed right will beat all jump ins from pretty much anyone.

Should be noted that its hard for Zangief to anti air lariat Bison's Ex.Headpress from full screen away. This is because Ex.Headpress travels alot faster than normal Headpress. However since all Headpress's take the same time to arrive at there opponent, close Ex.Headpresses travels much slower and takes a more vertical angle thats easier to anti air with lariat. Gief has other options for dealing with far Ex.Headstomps anyway.

As for general match up notes. Use DR to build meter if you want but if Gief is about half screen away he can Ex.Green hand you on landing (possible further if he can perform a kara green hand).
    Bison needs to keep Gief away at all times. Zone him on the ground with S.MK, S.HK. Your pokes out reach his so on the ground Bison wins at mid distance. Anti airing Gief is more of a problem. His J.HP trade wins alot with S.HK and mixing up J.MK can catch Bison out (go into the training mode and lab this and learn what positions you can anti air him from). Bison will want to carefully choose when to anti air and when not too. Let Gief whiff a few jumps and see what he does when he lands. Alot of Giefs throw out Lariat and Ex.Green Hands which beat out anything Bison does at the same time but are very vunrable If Bison does nothing. You can punish Green Hand on block, throw him into the nearest corner or do a quick safe combo. Laraits can be beat clean by S.HP during any rotation at the right spacing (not hard to do) its also beaten clean after its first 2 active frames by C.HK (slide) and C.HP., S.HK at max range during any rotation (very hard to do) and S.HK or any strength scissor kick during the 3rd rotation of of the lariat.

If Gief does nothing after whiff jumping, pressure him with pokes or LK Scissors. More than likely its going be a mix up of these options for both these players. So try an be as unpredictable as possible.

After you get Ultra meter it becomes risker for Gief to jump at Bison. As he time his jump attacks reasonable late to hit a grounded Bison. Bison can J.MPx2 Ultra on reaction to jump ins. Don't try and predict Gief jumps with this. Do this on reaction to Geifs jumps.

A good gambit Gief players like to do his S.HK with buffered SPD hidden behind it. S.HK moves Gief forward and unsuspecting people who block this often eat an SPD for there trouble. Don't fall for this. Teleport or jump back out after blocking it.

Remember Gief can only really start a true block string off a hard strength jump in. You can teleport away after blocking light and medium strength jump ins.

If you knock Gief down don't bother pressuring him on wake up unless he has no meter. If he has no meter you can safe meatie him with c.mk xx LK Scissors. The only other option is cross up Psycho Crushers (which will be set up by c.hk) but that looses to reversal Ex.Green Hand and Lariat, still its a reasonable mix up. After that don't bother. Its a 50/50 guessing game but Gief stands to win more.

When your knocked down, use back dash to get out of grounded meaty attacks. Use RDP+KKK teleport to get out of body splash cross ups. If Gief likes to Larait as you wake up, Teleport or Ex.DR and try to escape or just block and punish. Some Giefs like to close up with Green Hand and Spd a waking opponent. Teleport or ex.psycho out of this nonesense. Some Giefs like to chase Teleport with Ex.Green Hand it won't reach but Bison should not attempt to teleport again, instead Bison should jump back to safety or jump back combo any Giefs who attempt to chase him with another Ex. Green hand.

Don't get corner trapped, you loose the ability to back dash and teleporting becomes almost useless (still gets you out of cross ups). Worse still Gief can outpoke a corner trapped Bison :( Bison becomes vunrable to walk up SPD now as he can't throw out pokes as Gief S.MP is godly in this situation. Gief's headbutt is scary as anti air and that along with lariat make any attempt jump outs extremely risky. Your going wanna try and prevent this happening in the first place. As your being pushed back look for Gief to try a jump in then use Ex.Pyscho to escape. Do this before you get pushed back to far.

Kim1234 posted on shoryuken forums recently a few few tips on this match up.

Walk with Gief as he walks back, keep yourself out of the corner.
    Gief will use his kick lariat to build meter. Try and keep reasonable close to him so you can punish him if he does this.

Use C.HP as anti air against Gief.

Use Ultra 2 on wake up to escape cross up attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Thanks for the tips. Teleport didnt come to mind when blocking the l.ps or l.ks to escape the throws.

So would U2 be a better choice to bring over its ability to get you out of his mix up games when your grounded and an AA into it? I usually bring U1 to try an punish whiffed lariats, and for the chip if it gets close.
    If Gief does nothing after whiff jumping, pressure him with pokes or LK Scissors.

Also is L.sk not punishable with a version of an spd? I got hit a few times in this match up in general with an spd due to a blocked L.sk. Im guessin i have the smallest of timings to get out?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    however I do feel like you lost to a far worse player than yourself at Inferno Hound. :pac:

Come on lads, leave Bush out of this

• Advertisement

Robbknoll wrote:
    So would U2 be a better choice to bring over its ability to get you out of his mix up games when your grounded and an AA into it? I usually bring U1 to try an punish whiffed lariats, and for the chip if it gets close.

Well to punish Giefs lariat with Ultra one you need to perform your ultra right beside him so that you hit him while ultra 1 still has some invincible frames. Ultra one comes out in 1+11 frames and has 16 frames of invincibility. Other wise it will only beat a lariat if the scissor kick part of ultra 1 hits the lariat during its third rotation. Otherwise lariat beats it out. Ultra 1 does better damage over ultra 2.

Ultra 2 on the other hand has a hitbox big enough to hit Gief out of range of his hitbox. Its tricky to do because Gief can control the movement of the lariat. Meaning he could steer himself away from your or steer his active hitbox into you and tag you before you land.

As for Ultra 2 as an escape tool, I haven't tested it. I'm not sure if Gief could ex.green hand it on reaction or kara ex.green hand it.

As for LK.SK its totally safe. It leaves both players on even frames. However Giefs LP SPD has massive range and comes out in 2 frames which is quicker than any of Bison's normal moves. If Bison attempts any follow ups outside of his ex.moves (needs to buffer charge to be quick enough) Gief will grab him. Bison can teleport away to safety or jump away (which can be tagged by some of Giefs normals).

GorySnake wrote: »
    Come on lads, leave Bush out of this

fu gory

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Also is L.sk not punishable with a version of an spd? I got hit a few times in this match up in general with an spd due to a blocked L.sk. Im guessin i have the smallest of timings to get out?

No, this is very easy to check if you learn to read frame data.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/nov/13/m-bison-dictator-frame-data-street-fighter-4/

lk is +3 on block, for something to be punishable with SPD it has to be -2 at a minimum.

edit: Oh just realised you meant scissor kick, light scissor kick is 0 on block and therefore unpunishble by spd.

Advertisement