Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting off pocket money for J1 in NYC?

• 04-01-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hey, have been on 2 J1's before but this will be my first time in new york and I am expecting in to be a bit more expensive than the other places I have been. I am heading over after my exams the first week of June and will have a place to stay for a few nites with friends who live over there. Plan to try scope a job out before I go over but most likely will have a contact or two at best so will probably be starting out jobless like most people.

Anyway, for anyone that has been on a J1 to new york city, how much to you recommend bringing over with you as start up money to get you set up until you find work. We are intending on living in Brooklyn and as cheap as possible. Basically anywhere liveable for the few months that is in a good area. Obviously luck has a big role in how things go in terms of finding jobs, gaf's etc but assuming that it will take a bit of searching, how much minimum would you bring over?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Well rent in Brooklyn is really cheap, you can find a huge house for like $300 a month each! I'd suggest having all your rent money and keeping it aside so you know you will defintely be able to live somewhere! and then maybe double it to start you off. you're going to end up buying gifts and doing touristy things so altogether take about $2000 spending money (1300 euro roughly) should get you started!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

lil_lisa wrote: »
    you're going to end up buying gifts and doing touristy things so altogether take about $2000 spending money (1300 euro roughly) should get you started!

Well since I will be there for almost 4 months I am hoping to just find work first and start earning money before spending any on tourist stuff or gifts. I've lived in two big American cities before so have a fair idea but the last time I was there money wasn't an issue as I had worked at home for a full year before hand. The first summer I went I got sort of lucky with accommodation and didn't have to pay any deposits down or anything.

My biggest cost when I arrive in new york will be paying down a deposit and a months rent on a place, and after this, food, beer and transport should be my main costs while I am looking for work. I'd say 2-3 weeks surviving money (excluding rent) to give me time to find work would be needed. Hopefully less, but there is no point in going over with only enough to survive a week or so before running out of money. With regards to the accommodation, there is only two of us going so we would be looking to sub let some small apartment or something. Most likely off a student sub letting for the summer. Would settle for a one bedroom place and buy an extra mattress for the floor, lol usual J1 style. Haven't really got a clue about rent prices and what is the 'norm' around areas in Brooklyn as I am sure the vary a lot.

Advertisement