Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this vegan?

Options
  • 04-01-2010 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Ingredients:

Sugar, Wheatflour, Cocoa Powder, Modified Maize Starch, Vanilla Flavour. (natural and artificial), salt, Raising Agents : (Acid Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Acid sodium pyrophoshate).

Contains: Wheat, Gluten
    May contain egg, soya and milk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yes :) some people don't like to eat a product if it is made on a line handling milk etc. (which is generally the case if the product says "may contain..."), but that's more so an issue with allergies. I would personally have no issue with it. This would be the issue with most pre-packed food stuffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vegan Wannabe

In case you're wondering it's Odlums Quick Chocolate Brownie Mix . Add oil ,water and an egg to cook. I subsituted the egg for extra oil and some soya milk.
    The result: An edible tray of vegan brownies! They do taste very 'out of a box' though!

Seeing as i'm starting out i'm not going to dismiss food handled on the same line as milk/egg products. Baby steps!

Cool! (Yes, I'd been wondering :D) I've been vegan for 3 years now and I'd be tempted for this quick mix for the laugh. Keep throwing questions at us - it's great to be able to offer some advice that I learnt along the way. I was veggie for seven years before becoming vegan, as I noticed is also the case with yourself. Must be something about the timing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vegan Wannabe

It's great to find this Irish site. I've just been talking to a vegetarian friend. Turns out she's trying to go vegan too. RESULT!
    I've been drinking soya milk and avoiding eggs for a few years. I just want to stop eating dairy in those fiddly trace ingredients. Quorn is a good example but giving that up has forced me to eat more legumes,beans etc. Biscuits and the last of the Roses tin are my current problems. (Kind of why I stumbled upon the odlums brownie mix)

The veggie mince which Tesco does is vegan (though it used to contain egg, so always read ingredients in case it changes back) and you can still pick up plenty of vegan fake meats, though they are indeed harder to come buy. All the Redwood stuff is vegan :) Yes, it's good to eat more legumes and vegetables, but fake meats can indeed be handy!

Biscuits - you can have most bands of bourbon creams. And the Tesco value digestives are good (always keep an eye for skimmed milk powder in plain bikkies) - recently I've been dipping half of these in melted chocolate and then chilling them, for a delicious vegan choccie bikkie! And those shortcake biscuits (the ones with raisins in them, Jacobs and Tesco) are vegan too. The majority of biscuits are out of bounds.

Ah, I love food :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement