Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get B&W Film developed ??

• 04-01-2010 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi Guys,

Can anyone let me know where the best place to get b&w and Slide film developed in Dublin ? I've used Conns and also the place on Abbey Street, so not too sure if there are any other places ?

Cheers !

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

abbey street good, as is gunns. for slide abbey is best, for bw... never handed it in, is it c41 bw or proper bw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 northstrandboy

it's real b+w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

dublin camera exchange does b and w as does gunns :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Abbey street is the only place to go for slide now AFAIK, didn't that place on merrion square close ? Or at least stop development ? Fajitas said something about it IIRC. B&W I develop myself, so I don't know who does it. I'd say at the very least you could drop it into Gunns or the Camera Exchange and they'd either do it or send it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was about to start a thread on E6 processing, having been into the fuji centre for the first time in over a year, and being charged €8.50 per roll for dev only; last time i was there it was €6.50...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

i was about to start a thread on E6 processing, having been into the fuji centre for the first time in over a year, and being charged €8.50 per roll for dev only; last time i was there it was €6.50...

They are the only place left so no choice unless you send to UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Nozebleed wrote: »

no e6 it seems

does abbey still do xpro?

There's a guy from that fuji place that posts here occasionally. He's explained that before. Apparently volumes have dropped so much that they had to start charging that to cover their overheads on slide. Repro bowed out because the business just wasn't there I guess. It is a pity, it means no-one gets my slide business anymore, 6.50 dev only was about as high as I wanted to go given that I can dev a roll of C-41 for about a euro.
    With that in mind I recently starting doing my own hybrid reversal processing using Diafine as a first developer then a C-41 pass. Check out my stream for examples. Tag search on "diy reversal" without quotes for examples. Bit hit and miss so far, major drawback is that you lose about 4 stops on the rated speed, so you'd have to shoot velvia, for example, at 3 :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i still have about 20 rolls of E6 in the fridge. so that's an extra 40 quid i'll have to spend. good that i got most of it for free, so.

• Advertisement

i still have about 20 rolls of E6 in the fridge. so that's an extra 40 quid i'll have to spend. good that i got most of it for free, so.

Yeah, if you have that much E6 and you intend to shoot it over the next 6 months/year then you'd be as well off getting into gunnes at some point. They have those Fuji Hunt 5l C-41 kits, there's a corresponding Fuji Hunt E6 5l kit which I'm assuming is around the same price which they probably have or at least can order in.
    People maintain that E6 is even more pernickity than C-41 but so far as I can see its much the same, the only crucial step with regards to times and temps is the first B&W developer, all the rest of the steps seem to be process to completion.

is it really that easy???

could you do a quick rundown on e6 dev possibly? say i get the kit and use my college darkroom, what will be required?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jjoconnor

no e6 it seems

does abbey still do xpro?

photolabs don't do slide but they do cross process it

photocare (abbey street) do both

i think gunns do slide still? but they never cross processed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

jjoconnor wrote: »
    photolabs don't do slide but they do cross process it

photocare (abbey street) do both

i think gunns do slide still? but they never cross processed

Gunns do neg only.

is it really that easy???

could you do a quick rundown on e6 dev possibly? say i get the kit and use my college darkroom, what will be required?

I've never done E-6 (except for my -ahem- experimentations) except x-pro in C-41. From reading about it though it seems to be more or less the same as C-41, only one step really needs to be precise. And sure you can colour correct in post if neccessary :D

I did some post up for Sinead there recently, she was asking about the same thing to do with C-41 .

Here's that thread about C-41 anyhow ...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055774858
    thefizz wrote: »
    Gunns do neg only.

Yeah abbey street and repro used to be the only places, and repro, as mentioned above, is out of the business.

Advertisement