Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I eligible for redundancy?

Options
  • 04-01-2010 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

So the recession has finally truely hit me too, I guess it's about time.
    I work for a retailer that has just gone into administration. I've worked for the company since October 22nd 2006 part time and on a zero hour contract. We are expected to close in the next two weeks.

My question is, am I eleigible for redundancy even though it was a zero hour contract? I tried the few government sites that deal with the issue of redundancy but couldn't glean much from them. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

What is a zero hour contract? Never heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

mood wrote: »
    What is a zero hour contract? Never heard of it before.

It's a contract that means the employer has no obligation to give you any hours in a week. I've been working between 8 and 40 hour weeks in the shop for the last 3 years depending on the time of year but technically the employer was not legally obliged to give me any hours.

Bump

BJC wrote: »
    Bump

What?

What?

I was hoping for an answer to my question mood, but not to worry; I rang the citizen's advice hotline and regardless of my contract hours, I will still recieve an average of two weeks wage for every year worked and a bonus week on top of that.

• Advertisement

I was hoping for an answer to my question mood, but not to worry; I rang the citizen's advice hotline and regardless of my contract hours, I will still recieve an average of two weeks wage for every year worked and a bonus week on top of that.

That is good. Hope you get a job soon.

I didn't know what 'bump' was meant to mean!

That is good. Hope you get a job soon.

I didn't know what 'bump' was meant to mean!

Thanks mood, me too. My loans wont pay off themselves.
    To bump is a boardsie faux pas, as in to 'bump' it to the top of the latest forum post list.

Technically not allowed, but usually tolerated in small doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

So the recession has finally truely hit me too, I guess it's about time.
    I work for a retailer that has just gone into administration. I've worked for the company since October 22nd 2006 part time and on a zero hour contract. We are expected to close in the next two weeks.

My question is, am I eleigible for redundancy even though it was a zero hour contract? I tried the few government sites that deal with the issue of redundancy but couldn't glean much from them. Thanks

If they're in administration due to insolvency then the chances are that they won't have the necessary funds to pay any redundancy. Sorry to be the one to tell you op, but we're going through the same thing ourselves.

If they have massive debts, then the redundancy isn't the only cash that won't be paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

If they're in administration due to insolvency then the chances are that they won't have the necessary funds to pay any redundancy. Sorry to be the one to tell you op, but we're going through the same thing ourselves.

If they have massive debts, then the redundancy isn't the only cash that won't be paid out.

That's not really true.

Number one, there's no such thing as "Administration" in Ireland, it's a UK term. I'm going to assume that the OP works in the Republic of Ireland though and working for an insolvent company.

You will be entitled to redundancy calculated as follows:

2 weeks pay for every year worked plus one bonus week. This will be paid at your gross average weekly wage, up to a maximum of €600 per week.

Your gross average weekly wage is calculated as your total earnings in the 26 week period prior to the 13 weeks immediately preceding your date of redundancy, divided by 26.

If the company is insolvent and can't pay your redundancy, this amount is claimed from the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment (the liquidator/receiver will do up the forms for you).

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

In 2004 zero hour contracts were fazed out in the large British fashion retailer I worked for. I think it's worth a call to the union or NERA for clarification.

You could ask to be transfered onto a contract for the average hours you worked in the preceding 13 weeks or the average over the years you have worked there.

How much holiday pay do you get for a weeks hols or what do you get for bank holidays?

You could be owed back money if your employment rights weren't upheld, all may not be worth much if the place is going under, but wages owed are usually the 1st creditor to be paid.

Also your redundancy will be based on you basic weeks wages, with a zero hour contract that could be difficult to assess as all your hours are 'overtime'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement