Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA shutting down sports game servers

Options
  • 04-01-2010 5:03pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61792

Some 20 games are getting their servers shutdown. This includes loads of '09 edition games.

* UEFA Champions League 07 PC and x360
    * Facebreaker x360 and PS3
    * Fantasy Football 09 x360 and PS3
    * FIFA 07 PSP, PS2, PC
    * Fight Night Round 3 PS2
    * Madden 08 Wii
    * Madden 08 PC
    * Madden 09 Xbox1
    * Madden 09 Wii and PSP
    * March Madness 07 x360
    * NBA 07 PSP, x360
    * NBA 08 PS2, PSP, Wii
    * NBA 09 Wii - Europe only
    * NBA Street (2007) PS3 and x360
    * NCAA Football 08 PS2
    * NCAA Football 09 PS2
    * NASCAR 08 PS2
    * NASCAR 09 PS2
    * NASCAR 09 PS3 and x360 - Europe Only
    * NFL Tour PS3 and x360
    * NHL 07 PSP and x360
    * NHL 08 PC
    * Tiger Woods 07 PC
    * Madden 09 x360 and PS3
    * Madden 07 Xbox 360

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

EA fail, it's in the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

not much harm, cant see many of those games being too popular these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Most of those games wouldn't be my cup of tea. But I'm not impressed. I could buy the latest revision of a game, and then the online component could be disabled within six months.

There is no Nascar 10, so people could conceivably still be buying Nascar 09.

Madden 09 was the latest version up until 5 months ago, when Madden 10 was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Like above post, im not a fan of those but still pretty ****ty to remove servers from a game you purchased in the last 12 months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    not much harm, cant see many of those games being too popular these days.

Still though, you wouldn't expect a game not even 12 months old to have reached its end of life period already.

Whats more, loads of these games are still on sale in shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

nothin new... they killed BT2 server too.. cant connect on it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

It's not like this is a sudden decision. In each of their manuals EA warn that they can shut down the servers at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's not like this is a sudden decision. In each of their manuals EA warn that they can shut down the servers at any time.

who reads them? first time i hear someone shooting down servers so fast, i remember playing diablo1 when there were only 5 poeple on battle.net playing it... blizzard still havent shooted down servers... they kept a few to be still alive...

It just shows how cash greedy EA is, alot of them are still 09 titles, and a good few of those titleswill be sold.

Iwould be really pissed of if i buy some new game now, and realise that servers are shut down....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

As does everyone else to be honest just to cover their backsides, but that does not mean they all shut off their servers after 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

animaal wrote: »
    Most of those games wouldn't be my cup of tea. But I'm not impressed. I could buy the latest revision of a game, and then the online component could be disabled within six months.

There is no Nascar 10, so people could conceivably still be buying Nascar 09.

Madden 09 was the latest version up until 5 months ago, when Madden 10 was released.

well ya, thats true, bit harsh for 09 versions to be cut off already. even still, hands up who plays Nascar 09 online? anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Tough times. Better they shut down less popular servers than sack a bag load of employees IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A transparent move by EA to turn their bestselling titles into glorified subscriptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

It just shows how cash greedy EA is

They are a business, it's what they do.

You might as well complain that water is wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    well ya, thats true, bit harsh for 09 versions to be cut off already. even still, hands up who plays Nascar 09 online? anyone?

(**tumbleweeds blowing past**)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

In all fairness there are alternatives to EA sports titles that people should be purchasing instead, this is what you should expect when you buy a game from a company that releases a new edition of a game or another sequel every year and is known to be terrible at supporting games post-release.

There is also the fact that there are people who will get the new edition each and every year, so there will be a large number of people who play online who will be moving over to the new release. EA see this and decide that it's not in their interests to support the minority who will stick with last years Fifa/Madden/Tiger Woods etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

koHd wrote: »
    Tough times. Better they shut down less popular servers than sack a bag load of employees IMO.

A fair point on the flip side, those employees will be making games for people who can't afford new games and will most likely be playing older games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Wait.
    Doesn't this mean it will be impossible to collect the online trophies/achievements on the games without servers?
    EA made a boo-boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

giggsy664 wrote: »
    Wait.
    Doesn't this mean it will be impossible to collect the online trophies/achievements on the games without servers?
    EA made a boo-boo!

Yeah.

Also: http://www.destructoid.com/achievement-whores-giving-nba-live-07-a-final-shot-159663.phtml

Advertisement