Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finest Galway City pub for Cheltenham Races?

Options
  • 04-01-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

Hello Westerners, I'm not from the west so this my first time visiting this part of Boards. The reason for my visit is I'm seeking the advice of people who know the city social scene, and who can point me in the right direction.

Myself and a group of friends will be arriving in Galway in March for a big weekend of partying. We're bringing Euros!! Now we all are horse racing fans, and it being Galway I'm sure there's no shortage of pubs that would be good to spend the day in. The day is Cheltenham Gold Cup day, Friday the 19th.

So I am looking for suggestions as to the best pub to spend the afternoon in. Priorities are, close to a bookies, the closer the better. Plenty of screens in the pub and a good racing friendly atmosphere. I have looked in the stickies and didn't really find any joy. A place in the city centre would be ideal but a taxi ride to the right venue would not be unacceptable seen as we will be spending the rest of the weekend in the usual haunts around the centre. Oh and close to a bank too so we can safely deposit our winnings and the days end! Ok ye may ignore that bit.

Thanks in advance,

Reg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Hello Westerners, I'm not from the west so this my first time visiting this part of Boards. The reason for my visit is I'm seeking the advice of people who know the city social scene, and who can point me in the right direction.

Myself and a group of friends will be arriving in Galway in March for a big weekend of partying. We're bringing Euros!! Now we all are horse racing fans, and it being Galway I'm sure there's no shortage of pubs that would be good to spend the day in. The day is Cheltenham Gold Cup day, Friday the 19th.

So I am looking for suggestions as to the best pub to spend the afternoon in. Priorities are, close to a bookies, the closer the better. Plenty of screens in the pub and a good racing friendly atmosphere. I have looked in the stickies and didn't really find any joy. A place in the city centre would be ideal but a taxi ride to the right venue would not be unacceptable seen as we will be spending the rest of the weekend in the usual haunts around the centre. Oh and close to a bank too so we can safely deposit our winnings and the days end! Ok ye may ignore that bit.

Thanks in advance,

Reg.

The only pub I know of thats races friendly is Kennedys in Eyre Square and it's right beside a bookies too. But as a pub its....not so great. Sorry I'm not more help but it's an option I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The only pub I know of thats races friendly is Kennedys in Eyre Square and it's right beside a bookies too. But as a pub its....not so great. Sorry I'm not more help but it's an option I guess!

Ok Wompa cheers.. What you mean its not so great? Is it the state of the place or the people who go in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭AdamantApproach

The Hole in the Wall on Eyre Street is exactly what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'd say Freeneys or Murphys. Both great Drinkin pubs and always have the Racing on. And there's a Ladbrokes next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭biscuits1981

u should go to TRENDS in salthill very good racing pub with 2 bookies within 20 feet of each other if ur down for the w end ya should pop out to salthill ya will be long enough in town...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

Second vote for Trends in Salthill. If you want to stay in town, as previously mentioned, Hole In The Wall on Eyre Street and Freeneys and Murphy's on High Street are also good racing pubs.

The Trends place does hold some appeal seen as we will be in the one area Friday and Saturday night. How far is Salthill in a cab? I will have to put it to the group to get a consensus in any case.. Thanks folks these are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Murphys shows the racing, bookies next door too, and excellent Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

trends is great craic and the customers all mad for anything to bet on,anything at all!!cab from eyre sq be 5 mins and ten euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Trends in Salthill would be your best bet. It's only 5/10 mins in a cab from town. Mulhollands bookies next door and powers directly across the road. EVERYONE in that pub is a punter.

In town, Hughes Bar and the Hole in the Wall in Woodquay. 3 bookies between each pub.
    Freeneys and Murphys on high st. Only a small ladbrokes right beside though.
    Richardsons might not be bad with a couple of big bookie shops close by.

The Hunstman on Dublin rd will have it on big screens with bookies right next door.

• Advertisement

I'd say Freeneys or Murphys. Both great Drinkin pubs and always have the Racing on. And there's a Ladbrokes next door.

+1 for Freeneys

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Barr an Chaladh on Woodquay.

Very racing friendly all year round

Like Hole in the Wall, but without the student grunge factor.

(Interestingly, it's not listed in http://www.galwaycitypubguide.com/all-pubs/ ... don't say they missed something out!)

JustMary wrote: »
    Like Hole in the Wall, but without the student grunge factor.

The Hole in the Wall was right up near the top of the list til I read that!
    Them days are well behind us.

I disagree with Trends, it's a bit of a kip tbh, hasn't been done up since i was a child, tellys are ancient and won't be many in there, you'd probably end up watching the races in the bookies out there.

Same with the Hole in the Wall, will be empty, it's a kip and the bookies is a bit of a trek(in comparison terms).

Kennedys would be grand spot, someone didnt recommend it and it was asked what it was like, it's fairly new, it's a bit of an old mans pub, but there the only ones you''ll get it in and there tellys are lovely, massive one down the back.

Murphys wouldnt be too bad either and it's close enough to check what the Kings Head would be like

Very good gilberto, thats Trends gone, I'd be lynched if I took the party out there and it turned out we were looking at old school Bush TV's and came out smelling of the 1980's. Waching the races in the bookies is not an option, dag in do our bets and back to the pints. What you make of the Feeney's option?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Go down towards Woodquay
    Hughes' has a punting crowd and I've seen groups come from around the country during the galway races and really enjoy it
    The lads in the bookies next door are good craic too

Very good gilberto, thats Trends gone, I'd be lynched if I took the party out there and it turned out we were looking at old school Bush TV's and came out smelling of the 1980's. Waching the races in the bookies is not an option, dag in do our bets and back to the pints. What you make of the Feeney's option?

Not sure what there tellys are like tbh, it would be mid-90's pub along with Murphys as opposed to Hole in the Wall/Trends which would be more 80's(to compare by years) but even from that area you'd have Murphys right across, think they have decent screens, and Kings Head although they mightnt show it.

Kennedys would only be a 5min walk from there and it's pretty tidy, wouldnt go in there on a night out, but for Cheltenham it does be grand, two nice TV's and 4 bookies within 100 yards, they might have some Guiness promo too, they do it Mon-Thurs and the owner is known for taking custom for events(they've opened the club part for FA cup finals and that on big screen), they might even open the back for it and have cheaper drinks all round.

Barr an Chaladh(spelling) around same length from Murphys/Freeneys and has decent enough screens and a decent enough layout

I wouldnt bother with Salthill anyway, there aint much happening there now and if Trends didnt suit you'd nearly hhave to head straight back to town, at least from Shop St most pubs would be 5min walk.

Think we might be getting places now, honing in on Woodquay direction. So Hughes or Barr an Chaladh. Another deciding factor could be this. I'd prefer a drinking pub, and not a place that does pub grub with a lunchtime crowd arriving in clogging up the place with their toasties and soup!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

If you are looking for decent telly sizes, forget Murphys, all wall-mounted fairly small-screen jobs. Barr a Chaladh has 2-3 tellys (or did last time I was there) but could be your best bet if you are based in town, and if doesn't work out, Hole In The Wall and Hughes are both a 30 sec walk away

Think we might be getting places now, honing in on Woodquay direction. So Hughes or Barr an Chaladh. Another deciding factor could be this. I'd prefer a drinking pub, and not a place that does pub grub with a lunchtime crowd arriving in clogging up the place with their toasties and soup!!

Hughes' is your spot so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Stay away from the Kings Head, they do lunches and it gets really busy in there.. Any pub down in Woodquay would suit..

Have a look at this link it might give you some ideas :D Good luck and have fun :D

http://www.galwaycitypubguide.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Cullinanes at the end of Eglington Street used to be a good pub for the racing. The Barmen used to have great knowledge of the horses and used to provide great tips. I don't know what it is like now TBH. It is near Woodquay as well

Cullinanes at the end of Eglington Street used to be a good pub for the racing. The Barmen used to have great knowledge of the horses and used to provide great tips. I don't know what it is like now TBH. It is near Woodquay as well

Didn't that close down? Yeah it used to be a great pub for the racing :)

I don't know what Cullinanes is like now, it was my cousins pub and they are big into racing but it has changed ownership a few years back so don't know what it would be like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't know what Cullinanes is like now, it was my cousins pub and they are big into racing but it has changed ownership a few years back so don't know what it would be like now.

It closed. Rumours say that the guy who had it was just a little too fond of the horses - don't know how true they were though.

It was re-opened during 2009 as Blakes, by one of Galway's big-name pub owners, but closed again after a few months. The signs outside say "Closed for renovations until further notice".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

If you're worried about the smell of a pub, avoid Murphy's.

Was in there for a pint over Xmas and the place stank. Clothes smelt after being in there for 20 mins.

If you wanted a big open space to fit ye all, somewhere like the Skeff would be good too. Plenty of good sized tv's, and you're in Eyre Square already, and there's 3 bookies within the Square too:)

JustMary wrote: »
    It closed. Rumours say that the guy who had it was just a little too fond of the horses - don't know how true they were though".

Don't think theres any truth in that..

Col200sx wrote: »
    If you wanted a big open space to fit ye all, somewhere like the Skeff would be good too. Decent carvery lunch for ye and also plenty of good sized tv's, and you're in Eyre Square already, and there's 3 bookies within the Square too:)

Not a racing pub

Col200sx wrote: »
    If you're worried about the smell of a pub, avoid Murphy's.

Was in there for a pint over Xmas and the place stank. Clothes smelt after being in there for 20 mins.

If you wanted a big open space to fit ye all, somewhere like the Skeff would be good too. Decent carvery lunch for ye and also plenty of good sized tv's, and you're in Eyre Square already, and there's 3 bookies within the Square too:)

Don't the Skeff only have a small tv in the back bar and you strain your neck watching it its so high up? I can't think of were the others are. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

EI111 wrote: »
    Not a racing pub

:o Ah ya, just realised that now. Although every pub claim to be a racing pub during Cheltehnam:D
    Don't the Skeff only have a small tv in the back bar and you strain your neck watching it its so high up? I can't think of were the others are. :)

There's a pretty big LCD tv down on the left, just before you go up the stairs to the carvery;)

Advertisement