Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finest Galway City pub for Cheltenham Races?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

trends has two brand new huge flat screens installed about a month ago,things are looking up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Not sure what there tellys are like tbh, it would be mid-90's pub along with Murphys as opposed to Hole in the Wall/Trends which would be more 80's(to compare by years) but even from that area you'd have Murphys right across, think they have decent screens, and Kings Head although they mightnt show it.

Kennedys would only be a 5min walk from there and it's pretty tidy, wouldnt go in there on a night out, but for Cheltenham it does be grand, two nice TV's and 4 bookies within 100 yards, they might have some Guiness promo too, they do it Mon-Thurs and the owner is known for taking custom for events(they've opened the club part for FA cup finals and that on big screen), they might even open the back for it and have cheaper drinks all round.

Barr an Chaladh(spelling) around same length from Murphys/Freeneys and has decent enough screens and a decent enough layout

I wouldnt bother with Salthill anyway, there aint much happening there now and if Trends didnt suit you'd nearly hhave to head straight back to town, at least from Shop St most pubs would be 5min walk.

Trends will be full and everyone in there will be backing horses, so if you want to mix with some local punters go for it. It's a bit of dump, but that's part of the allure with the place.
    Freeneys and Murphys just have normal tv's too.
    Woodquay would be could for town. The lads in Hughes own a few horses so they might all be over at cheltenham. Also hole in the wall has 2 bookies right across the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Also hole in the wall has 2 bookies right across the road

Negotiating Friday afternoon city traffic with a feed o pints on board not ideal!! I'm probably being a bit picky now. :) In any case it seems like Woodquay will be the area we'll hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

There's probably about 50 pubs withing walking distance in the city centre anyway so if you don't like one, there won't be far to go!

Op its depends what your really looking for. If its a real racing crowd go somewhere like freenys(my choice). They have two tv's, one lcd and one older widescreen. If its somewhere more modern with lots of tv's and just showing the racing but not necessarily a racing pub there are plenty of choices around the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Just to throw my tuppenceworth in. McAlinden's on Dominick St. is right next to a bookies and always shows the racing....also has betting slips at the bar...if I was measuring a "racing pub" then surely this must count as a good candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Another person who used to work in a betting office in the city has recommended the Front Door... What do we think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 starie

i spent a few days during race week in 'the front door' and the bookies is next door, so i had a great time

also for the late race meetings we went to busker brownes which is directly across from the front door, but might not be your cup of T, also close to the bookies

Barr an Chaladh in woodquay is also good, guy in there used to run a bookies and lives for all kinds of sport, bookies across from there too

Another person who used to work in a betting office in the city has recommended the Front Door... What do we think?

I would have to say no, although it's a spot you will probably hit over the weekend of your visit, I would not watch racing in there. Just my personal opinion of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 starie

meant to say i work in a bookies now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

this is cheltenha,, not some meeting at tramore or lingfield

most decent pubs will have it on- feeneys is a kip imo, murphys and mcalindens are old school bookie pubs but front foor or buskers would be your best bet- nice big screens, great characters about that week- its mad galway race week and cheltenham week- dont forget paddies day falls during cheltenham so they'll all be geared for the racing

the quays is also good for the big racing but the bookies is a little further up

ladbrokes is about 100 yards away, mulhollands a bit closer

shaggykev wrote: »
    this is cheltenha,, not some meeting at tramore or lingfield

most decent pubs will have it on- feeneys is a kip imo, murphys and mcalindens are old school bookie pubs but front foor or buskers would be your best bet- nice big screens, great characters about that week- its mad galway race week and cheltenham week- dont forget paddies day falls during cheltenham so they'll all be geared for the racing

But maybe part of the reason the OP is asking the question is to find a pub that is a racing pub which shows races regularly and hence will welcome a racing clientele. In fact, as you point out it's Paddy's Day...that would be a good reason to avoid the more popular pubs as they will be more interested in playing to the majority crowd....I can imagine them having the racing on (maybe) but playing the latest chart hits instead of the commentary, plus they will be packed so coming and going to place bets won't be very easy....so for me, that would be a good reason to avoid locations such as the Front Door etc.

For Gold Cup day (which isn't the Wednesday that is Patrick's Day) every pub worth its salt will cater for people into racing, especially in the current fecked economic climate. The Hole in the Wall is one of the main spots for raceweek (many of the jockeys go there), as said above Front Door may be the best option, I honestly wouldn't worry though, there will be loads of options.

RoverJames wrote: »
    For Gold Cup day (which isn't the Wednesday that is Patrick's Day) every pub worth its salt will cater for people into racing, especially in the current fecked economic climate. The Hole in the Wall is one of the main spots for raceweek (many of the jockeys go there),

The Cheltenham jockeys....! You're talking about the Galway Races....seriously though...plenty of pubs will show the racing but you might as well drink in one that appreciates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

the quays would have best atmosphere and biggest screen for cheltenham

but front door and buskers are closer to bookies- they'll all have the racing with commentary on- bunch of grapes is another in the area that will be very racing friendly- lot of the northerners go there during the galway races

tom looks after them in there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Crowes ftw!!! Bookies is right nextdoor, great pints, and good pub grub too. And always has racing on

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

i also used to work in a bookies. have to say woodquay is the spot. try and knock a bit of banter out of mick in brian fahy's bookies too, some character

Advertisement