Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging people and Chuggers

Options
  • 04-01-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Where did they all go? Up until Christmas there was loads "Yer One In The Market Slip", "Gold-tooth" (somtimes in the Butter Slip or the back of dunnes) and everyones favourite "Himself At The Pay Station" to name but a few. Where did they go over Christmas and has anyone seen any of our old friends selling the Big issue 1998 November edition since then? Also why is there so many Chuggers going around atm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Maybe it's their annual holiday period?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

They all got laid off since the recession.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

Any sign of the guy with the saxaphone on High St? Surfaces in Carlow also. Death by red river valley again and again and again. He qualifies as a chugger as he is shall we say very assertive about donations.
    Or the big hefty guy opposite Dunnes (yes Dunnes) with the largest Garda permit sign in the country. He wears a Biggles type jacket, qualifies as a chugger as well, as he constantly trys to hook in a "mark". Collects for one of those "foundations"

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

t63m wrote: »
    Any sign of the guy with the saxaphone on High St?

I saw him singing "We Wish You murmurmurmur-MAS And A mumur New Year!!" just before Christmas. Doesnt he have a dog sometimes, I think that doubles his earning power.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

good luck to your woman beggin on butterslip.... very annoying ignorant person who was spotted many an occasion coming out of train station in the mornings down to beg and then go home on the train in the evenings......

ANNOYING

Where did they all go? Up until Christmas there was loads "Yer One In The Market Slip", "Gold-tooth" (somtimes in the Butter Slip or the back of dunnes) and everyones favourite "Himself At The Pay Station" to name but a few. Where did they go over Christmas and has anyone seen any of our old friends selling the Big issue 1998 November edition since then? Also why is there so many Chuggers going around atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Isn't it obvious? The beggars and the chuggers are actually the same people but with different disguises depending on their seasonal needs.

Chuggers in their warm woolies for the cold weather and beggars in their summer dresses and shawls for the warm weather.

They both come off the train, they're both as annoying as bejayzus and they both have absolutely no business being in Kilkenny.

What I hate most is any of them that are in the Market Slip begging right under the No Begging sign :mad: I dont want to give you money for ANYTHING so dont ask me everytime I pass you today! grrr

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I know I've covered my dislike for beggars of a certain type in previous thread on this issue here but a reminder, having lived beside one, they are scum who's begging earns them a normal wage and this particular one had more money than me. I know there are hard-luck cases but we have agencies for most of these. The particular scum I lived beside is nothing but harmful for the human race and it's unfortunate that they have more offspring to continue their ways. This particular "homeless person" lived beside me in the centre of Paris in an appartment that cost at least €1,000 p.m. Obviously lived there so she wouldn't have far to go for work, she told us she was a maid in a hotel but my flatmate saw her begging down town. She also gave crap to her baby to keep it quiet.

A lot of people are charitable and would like to give to poor people etc... but are turned off because they don't know who they are giving to. I only give to buskers on the street as I feel they are trying to earn it by entertaining as opposed to looking for it for nothing. I know of one particular chugger (a lot of ye know who I'm on about) who I don't see chugging as much these days but certainly made a nice few quid out of it. This summer I hope to do something (a cycle)for charity (I'm sure I'll be announcing it here) but I don't know which is worthwhile charity (people that need it), cancer has affected me (not me but people I know) in the last couple of years so I might do something there, but whilst all the money raised will go to charity I really want to avoid going down town and may just try and raise money via the net so I have a trace and can say no, I didn't touch a penny. I do a lot of charity cycles but I only pay the entry fees as I couldn't be going up to people every couple of weeks looking for money. I also have a friend of mine that worked for a prominant charity and was earning €50k p.y. so they're on my black list.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

beggars belief

Heh. That was a good one.

Eh, anyway, Captain Havoc, the Susie Long hospice fund is a good local charity to raise money for, if you are looking for one.

I would recommend you look into that. Lots of local people involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,471 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah, so you have the guy with the sax. He was in Waterford for a while, painful to listen to, people paid him to not play in front of their shops. You are welcome to him!

fabbydabby wrote: »
    They all got laid off since the recession.

so was that

Saxaphone guy and his backing track was back today but he didnt have a bowl but used his sax box for people to the money on AND he put it in the middle of the Butter Slip I nearly knocked it over. Also if his Captainship will accept my 'umble opinion Susie Long and SVP are both good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Saxaphone guy and his backing track was back today but he didnt have a bowl but used his sax box for people to the money on AND he put it in the middle of the Butter Slip I nearly knocked it over. Also if his Captainship will accept my 'umble opinion Susie Long and SVP are both good!

Haven't had the misfortune of hearing the saxman. SVP are on my list of charities I definately won't be doing anything for (not giving reasons so don't ask), Susie Long I like as it's local and something I would like to contribute to. Looked at my bank account there today and it doesn't look like I'll be booking anything in January.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

So was what?

Ever hear the guy(s) with the accordian and tin whistle that just play random notes in the hope that people won't cop they can't play?

It sounds like some sort of weird experimental music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

I know the random note tin whistle guy. The weirdest thing is that he has a selection of tin whistles at his disposal. Over 7 atleast.

It's not even random either, he plays the same little ****e riff over and over again, in between switching whistles.

Ever hear the guy(s) with the accordian and tin whistle that just play random notes in the hope that people won't cop they can't play?
    Tarzan_man wrote: »
    I know the random note tin whistle guy.

I have never heard him before, but I bet people will still give him money so h'll be back.:(

I dont mind if they can play something good but they dont have to put there collecting boxes so far out in front of them. Also if anybody starts to sing I will cross over the street rather than listen to them up close: its just so embarressing because generally they are awful.......emmm.......differant *cough*

Playing the same four notes over and over again to the same rhythm on different instruments seems to be a theme that's developing in music locally these days isn't it?

Playing the same four notes over and over again to the same rhythm on different instruments seems to be a theme that's developing in music locally these days isn't it?[/quote

ah but which four notes will it be? so many notes..

Advertisement