Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has XP SP3 caused you a blue screen?

• 04-01-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

I had the joys of turning on the computer the other day, and got a blue screen of death. I had no idea what had happened, and started googling the error code. After a while, it seemed the consensus was that SP3 was probably at the root of the problem. I uninstalled SP3, and all was well. The fun part was that I had to boot from the windows cd, and use the recovery console to do that. I've since found that microsoft have a lengthy checklist of things you should do before you install SP3. If it's that dodgy, why is it on the auto-update/auto-install list? Rather than installing, it should be sending out a message along the lines of

"SP3 is ready for download. Please read the checklist before installing it".

Auto install is now off.

Has XP SP3 caused a BSOD 4 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No, and I didn't look at the checklist
    50% 2 votes
    No, and I did look at the checklist
    50% 2 votes
    I wouldn't allow it near my computer
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Support for Windows XP without a service pack ended on September 30, 2004 and support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 and 1a ended on October 10, 2006.
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 will be retired on July 13, 2010

On April 14, 2009, Windows XP and its family of operating systems were moved from Mainstream Support to the Extended Support phase as it marks the progression of the legacy operating system through the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy. During the Extended Support Phase, Microsoft will continue to provide security updates every month for Windows XP, however free technical support, warranty claims and design changes are no longer being offered.

Basically XP is an unsupported OS, older service pack levels are security risks without tweaking or third party software. The usual advice applies - turn off services you don't need. Use Microsoft drivers instead of third party ones (for stability, they may offer less options)

Microsoft usually have an option to block download of NEW service packs for the first few months, and a tool to block downloads after that. Otherwise they can quite rightly tell you that you have had a YEAR AND A HALF to research the issue. For the vast majority of customers SP3 is beneficial.

Do you remember clicking to an EULA at any stage during the OS or SP install and if so did you read it fully ?
    Some real beauties in them if you dig deep enough.

Without posting the error all we have is hearsay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

installed it hundreds of times and only a handfull had problems afterwards.

i am not even going to vote on your poll

Advertisement