Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow cover for cross country skiing

Options
  • 04-01-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I am a keen cross country skier and would be interested in reports from anyone living near flat accessible public areas that have a good layer of snow which would be suitable for cross country skiing. Yesterday, Mon 3rd Jan I was in Powerscourt gardens near Enniskerry and there was a thin (2-3 cm) layer of snow which was just OK but became too wet as temperatures rose to about 4 degrees C. An ideal place would be fairly flat (its difficult to ski up more than a gentle slope), public or with easy access (so I am not thrown out of the area) and covered with a fairly thick blanket of snow (preferably thick enough to cover most tufts of grass, maybe 3-5 cm thick). It would be great if the snow was light and powdery but then again this is Ireland! :) I live in north county Dubin so North Wicklow or Carlingford would be ideal. Finally I need a passable road to get there.

If anyone knows of such areas I would be very grateful to hear about them. Thanks :cool:

Advertisement