Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

counselling service?

• 04-01-2010 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi I am just wondering has anybody had experience with the counselling service? if so how long is a session and what is to be expected?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Sessions can be anything up to around an hour usually, expect you to be doing most of the talking. People are lovely, really helpful and interested. You'll also need to fill out a little form thingie to tick what you'd like to talk about with them. They're also obliged to contact someone if you're on the verge of suicide, self harm etc. Not as scary as it seems, nor as formal. Good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 silverberg

Thank you, is it possible to leave if uncomfortable? and does it take as long as the medical center to get an appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

silverberg wrote: »
    Thank you, is it possible to leave if uncomfortable? and does it take as long as the medical center to get an appointment?

Having used the service myself I can tell you it's easy as pie, the people are fantastic and there's no obligation to stay if you are at all uncomfortable or nervous. Although I would personally advise you to try and stick out a session or two even if you do feel uncomfortable, it'll be worth it in the long run. Best of luck.

P.S. It takes no time at all to get an appointment, although I would advise you to make an appointment rather than drop in just to eliminate the chance of waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

They're actually short staffed this year, so appointments can take up to 2 weeks to get, and you may have to wait even if you do show up on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 sarahzxe

i went myself last year took 2 weeks to get an app and i found the counsellor very bad she offered no help or advice asked loads of questions which i understand has 2 be done. And im not the only one found it same experienece with friends of mine!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Hmmm, counsellor's are meant to ask questions. By you talking about your problems you face them and overcome them. It's not a quick fix unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

sarahzxe wrote: »
    i went myself last year took 2 weeks to get an app and i found the counsellor very bad she offered no help or advice

Well lets not discourage the op from trying it out.

Sometimes all people need is someone to listen to them, it's worth a go for anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Silverberg,

Call into Liz Murray, the VP Welfare, in the SU building (beside the Juicy Lucee if you don't know where that is). She's pretty helpful and will get you an appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 sarahzxe

I just wana share my experience and i dont mean to put anyone off. it mite work for other people. gud luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I had a bit of a funny encounter with a Councillor in the Student services building in first year (people who know me will know how I can sometimes come across, despite being an emotionally and mentally stable person, and besides, it's a story better heard in real life), but to cut a short description of a story short: they seem to be decent folk, and you can just wander in and book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Was it a county counciller? Or some other public body? :P

oh you! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

My personal experience with the counselling department in Maynooth was nothing short of horrific, I suffered a personal tragedy in late 08 and was tentatively feeling my way back into college life when the student services officer (who I know quite well through a sports scholarship) suggested I go to the counsellor while I was in the student services building.

I didn't have a lecture for a couple of hours so I decided to give it a shot, don't knock it 'til you've tried it, whatever. I signed the thingy saying it was comfidential but they were obliged to contact whoever they contact if they thought I was suicidal, blah blah blah.

I certainly wasn't suicidal going in, I damn near was by the time I left. The woman "counselling" me was just awful, she was rude, cold and completely tactless. As another poster stated, of course they're supposed to ask questions, but what they are most certainly not supposed to do is make assumptions about their counselee (dunno if that's a word, you know what I mean though) and that is exactly what she did. She formulated an opinion on me and on what was causing my distress and refused to budge from that opinion for the rest of the session. She ended by comparing my loss to the time she broke up with her boyfriend, and that because she dealt with it by not allowing herself to think about him ever again that I should do the same. Seriously.

I have spoken with some fabulous people since who have helped me greatly, I'm not condemning counselling, but that woman was a disgrace when I met her, and I would never go near the place again.

She ended by comparing my loss to the time she broke up with her boyfriend, and that because she dealt with it by not allowing herself to think about him ever again that I should do the same. Seriously.

I'm sorry, but what a F**king Stupid B**ch!

Reminds me of this girl I know at home who's training to be a councillor(or along those lines) and I have no idea why she thinks she'd be good at it. I guess it must be a hard job to interview for but seriously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

BarnhallBull, I can't believe she said that to you! Oh my god, I probably would have hit her or something :eek:

Counselling service is grand enough, the people are usually lovely. The only downside is that it takes forever to get an appointment. I've had to wait nearly six weeks between ones before because it was that busy! Everyone in Maynooth must be depressed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Yeah, everyone i've told about that had pretty much the same reaction. She'd been quite bad until that point, but how I managed to refrain from punching her in the face after that comment I'll never know.

She did give me a generic "what to do (and what not to do) when you're feeling suicidal" pamphlet, which was sweet of her

She did give me a generic "what to do (and what not to do) when you're feeling suicidal" pamphlet, which was sweet of her

Good for the lol's i'd say :D

Does the pamphlet say

What to do: Go on living

What not to do: the opposite of this

I bet I'd make a great councillor.

Advertisement